Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Looking to Spring

bjkpharmd

Right now because of work, family, you name it, I tend to be more of a turkey hunter than deer. I obsess all year about starting to mow and food plots though. What are people planning for next years "crop"? I think I will repeat with Egyptian wheat and some beans in annual plots. I am reseeding-frost seeding some old CRP ground (7 acres or so) into ladino clover. My other project is to expand a prairie remnant- reseeding several acres each year with collected native seed.

I'm allowing a neighbor to plant a "horse hay" mix in my 20 or so acres of available pasture. Mix of locusts and weeds right now so it should improve things. But, I'd like to supplement some areas with an annual cover crop. what is egyptian wheat? Is it food or cover or both and is it an annual?

Locust...an annual is a crop that you have to replant every year, perenial is one that regrows from year to year without new seed....Someone else help me out on the specifics

Egyptian wheat is planted more in the south than in this region but like shredder said it has to be replanted each year although some stalks may come back. Alot of bird hunting ranches grow this type of wheat as it provides great cover and food source. It can get as high as 8 to 10 feet. When it matures the seeds will fall out of the hull.
I have heard in the southern states that if the acorn production is bad for a specific year the deer will tear this stuff up.

Replanted each year- sorghum type plant but much bigger. Seed heads shatter so there is plenty of seed around for quail and turkeys. Deer have bedded in it all year and are still using it. Had some do really well where beans were last year- looked a little stunted where I had corn. Needs nitrogen. Is very drought resistant.

Top Bottom