Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LOW Charter Trip

NWBuck

PMA Member
Hey IW Members,

Planning a Lake of the Woods Charter trip with my better half this summer...late July time frame. Just wondering if anyone on here has experience with such a trip, and can recommend a quality resort for a decent walleye or multi species trip. Thanks...

NWBuck

I have been to LOTW 5 times now I think, all within the last 6 years. Each time I have stayed at New Moon Lodge(NML), check their site below, and all of the times have been excellent in terms of accommodations and service from the hosts.

NML is actually on an island about a 30 minute boat ride from the southern shore. You drive to Morson, Ontario, and then they pick you up from there. You can take your own boat, rent theirs, hire a guide, or not, there are several ways to set the trip up.

Fishing is very good for all the prime species, but they focus more on vertical jigging for walleyes than others, but they will do whatever you want. The last couple of years I have spent more time trying to catch a big muskie, but so far have only landed one medium sized one. But, my boat partner landed 4 doozies in 2-1/2 days last fall, with the biggest one right at 50". Although I did not get a big one, it was still a blast to help net them and see such huge and vicious fish. I had several real close calls with some follows from some biggies. I did catch several nice northerns though, with the biggest one being 43".

http://www.newmoonlodge.ca/

Sportsmans Lodge

Cyrus Resort... Ballards

All three are good, fishing is usually excellent

Last edited:
Im heading to cyrus resort march 2-6th, but im hoping the water will be a little harder than what you are planning. I have only heard good things about them, and the cabins look really nice on there website.

Im heading to cyrus resort march 2-6th, but im hoping the water will be a little harder than what you are planning. I have only heard good things about them, and the cabins look really nice on there website.

I've stayed up there 3 times, the cabins are pretty nice, depends on which one you get.

I would recommend that you keep some fish and bring it in to the lodge and they will fry it up for you....around $10 they fry them up and you get potato and slaw (good eating).

We caught some nice walleyes and good eating size eyes two weeks ago in 34 feet, and around 16 tullibee (great smoked).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Hardwood! We stayed with sportsmans last year in a sleeper house. We caught a bunch of fish, but some of my buddys dont care for the whole bucket outside thing when its -25!

Just booked it with Ballards...looks like a great place and very friendly and helpful in answering my questions. Late July can't get here fast enough...thanks for the info guys!

NWBuck

Update

Just got back from the above trip, and it was fantastic! Perfect weather, great guide, met some new friends, and the fishing was excellent!

Our guide Tyler getting ready for day 2. When we go back, he'll be requested. As you can see in this pic, they are battling record high water levels up there.

Of course, my wife caught the biggest fish, and Tyler held them for the photo when she wouldn't. Still in the slot, but fun nonetheless.

I managed a few as well, but held them myself :D

We fished with a father, his 2 sons and father-in-law. Great boat partners, and we had a lot of laughs together. Here was our take from day 2.

We ate all the fish we could while there, brought our limits home, caught a bunch of slot fish, and spent most of the last day throwing walleyes back in search of our last couple saugers. Unfortunately, no trophies for us above the slot. We did watch a boat right next to us land a real trophy on our 3rd day. Believe this was an Iowa group (maybe even members??) and this lucky angler caught a 30 incher that is headed for his wall. We heard that there were 2 other trophy fish that came in to Ballards the same day. For us, maybe next time :D

All in all, a great trip with my favorite fishing partner. And yes, we will be going back :D

NWBuck

Awesome trip! Hoping to take my family to northern MN or Canada one of these years (sooner than later). May pick your brain!

Top Bottom