Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Low recoil muzzleloader load?

Justhunt87

PMA Member
Was wondering what a good low recoil muzzleloader load would be? Plan on taking the little one youth season this year.

We used a 50 cal muzzleloader for my 10 year old daughter last fall.
I used a single 60 grain pyrodex pellet and a 200 grain saboted bullet - recoil was almost non-existent and was incredibly accurate.
She put a nice buck down at 52 yards with very impressive bullet performance - recovery in only 40 yards.

60 grain Pryodex and a 180 grain Hornady pistol bullet killed a pile of deer for my boys. 50 cal Knight DISC and youth Wolverine.

I believe I used 50 grains of blackhorn 209 pushing a 290 grain Barnes last year for my 7 year old daughter. No problem. Could have probably went a little hotter for the hunting load and she wouldn't have noticed.

Basically same thing here. I have two kids that have cleanly taken four deer from 20 to 70 yards with a 50 grain pellet behind a barnes. This is a proven, very low recoil, load for stationary broadside shots. I have heard of 100 yard kills with it but I'd be afraid of anything over 75. Most kids that can't handle the recoil are not ready for shots that far anyway. One other "trick" is that after a couple years with my daughter I would load 80-100 grains for hunting and not tell her. She never felt the recoil shooting at an animal. I did the same thing practicing for turkeys. Practiced with target load and hunted with full load.

My 6 yr old will be using 50g pellet with a 200g TC Shockwave, and using the Caldwell Field Pod.

So, this weekend i decided id shoot the muzzy and get it ready for my boy. Planning to use the 200g shockwave, I had second thoughts and decided to give the bullets i have been shooting a try. I have been hunting with the Federal BOR Lock MZ 270 grain non saboted bullet with 150 grains and great results on paper and on deer... they didnt disappoint me with 50 grains either, on paper at least :) Dead on at 50yds and no adjustments! With 150 grains, I had it 1.5-2" high at 100, and 0.0-0.75" low at 150. Drop to 50 grains and my boy can shoot a deer with it, and i dont have to touch it? where is the easy button lol

I ended up getting the little one a CVA Accura V2 with 50 grains of blackthorn weighed. And am shooting 200 grain shockwaves. I'm overly impressed with how accurate this set up is. The farthest I shot was 100 yards with all 3 holes overlapping. We will see how she handles it.

Top Bottom