Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

LOW Trip

NWBuck

PMA Member
See if I can help breathe a little life into the fishing forum. My wife, son, nephew and I recently returned from a trip to Lake of the Woods. We did a 3 day charter trip out of Ballards, and it was great. Second time we've done this trip in recent years, and once again, it did not disappoint. Here are a few of the highlights.

Matthew's best walleye of the trip. Beauty of a slot fish about 26 inches.
upload_2018-7-15_6-24-26.png

My best...a little over 24.
upload_2018-7-15_6-27-19.png

Hunter with a perfect eater.
upload_2018-7-15_6-28-17.png

And eat we DID! In addition to having fish back at the resort a couple of nights, we took a break from fishing one of the days to enjoy a shore lunch with a couple other boats on a nearby island. Spectacular!!
upload_2018-7-15_6-30-7.png

Some of you may be able to relate to this next picture. Whenever my wife Chantal goes along, it's pretty much a given that she's going to catch the big fish of the trip. This time was no exception. On day 2 she boated this beautiful 29 incher...somewhere in the 8-9 lb. range. The slot on LOW is 19.5-28 (all must be released in this range), but you are allowed to keep 1 trophy fish over the slot. In our trips up north, this is the first over we've caught. She wasn't interested in having a fish join the other taxidermy in our home, so we took several pics and put her back to bend another pole!
upload_2018-7-15_6-36-3.png

Due to heavy winds, we had to fish in the Rainy River on day 3 rather than out on the big lake, and our guide got to visiting with the boys about sturgeon fishing...we even watched a nearby boat land a very big sturgeon after a 30+ minute fight. He gave Hunter & Matthew a few tips about how to target this prehistoric fish, and indicated that the best time to get them was in the middle of the night. So of course, they hit the dock at the resort about 11 pm on our last night there. About 1 am, Hunter landed this one. Somewhere in the 25 inch range. Not a big sturgeon, but he was able to check another species off the list. The blood spot on the head is where a parasite had been attached.
upload_2018-7-15_6-40-52.png

Overall a very fun trip! No doubt there are plenty of other great resorts up there, but props to Ballards for going above and beyond to help make the trip a success. We keep hearing about the tremendous ice fishing on LOW, so that will likely be the next trip up north.

NWBuck

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-15_6-26-39.png
    upload_2018-7-15_6-26-39.png
    483.4 KB · Views: 233
Love those old dinosaurs. Assume they're Lake Sturgeon? When we were out west last month I wanted to try for White Sturgeon but wasn't able to swing it. Great pics

Love those old dinosaurs. Assume they're Lake Sturgeon? When we were out west last month I wanted to try for White Sturgeon but wasn't able to swing it. Great pics

Yep, these are all lake sturgeon in this area. At certain times of the year, they are the primary target up in the Rainy River. Our guide was great about helping us to understand a bit of the history of this fish, as well as times and techniques to target them..

NWBuck

Top Bottom