Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Makes no sense

bpul2113

Does anyone know the reason they close the archery season during the shotgun season? If you can use a muzzleloader why not a bow, truly not sure why Iowa has this rule. Anyone know?

I believe its a safety thing. Most gun hunters aren't sitting in a tree. With the added number of hunters in the field for shotgun season there would be a pretty high risk of someone getting smacked up in a tree by a stray slug.

Huh

Geez, I believe that is your opinion LYON. and maybe right i dont know what i do know is that more folks get shot in Iowa then some of the most dense hunting states around. PENNSYLVANIA,Michigan,Missouri,Minnesota, Maryland so maybe it could be a different reason? Ever actually watch a good old fashion Iowa deer push. I am surprized alot more hunters dont get shot, it is really ridiculus to watch them. And all of those states use rifles.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Just a safety deal. No reason to have more people in the woods. We get like 2.5 months to fill our tags. I think that's adequate. Let the lead slingers have at it for a few weeks.

Straight up safety, Like Gundog said Archery season is already plenty long let the gunslingers get their time in.

how can it be safety!

The numbers just dont bear it out. They may state safety, but the amount of folks shot are way high. And it doesnt have a thing to do with people in tree's. If it was truly just a safety thing they would outlaw pushing deer, that is what gets people shot. Pushing equals people shot, plain and simple. So, take away the saftey issue becasue that point is a statisictal loser, so what does that leave us?

I grew up in Nebraska and have lived in Kansas and now Iowa, both those states close archery season during their gun seasons. Call it safety or common sense, not everyone has a piece of property they could bow hunt during the gun season that isn't gun hunted. I wish we did. I have no desire to be in a tree stand when shotgun hunters are putting on a drive. I would venture to say that most when looking at a deer through their scope or open sites aren't perusing up in the trees behind it for a bow hunter sitting on a stand. Just my opinion.

If it's a safety thing (which I don't understand), what's the difference if I'm sitting in a tree wearing orange with a bow in my hand or a shotgun in my hand?

How am I any more safe depending on the weapon I'm holding, as long as I am still wearing orange?

Geez, I believe that is your opinion LYON. and maybe right i dont know what i do know is that more folks get shot in Iowa then some of the most dense hunting states around. PENNSYLVANIA,Michigan,Missouri,Minnesota, Maryland so maybe it could be a different reason? Ever actually watch a good old fashion Iowa deer push. I am surprized alot more hunters dont get shot, it is really ridiculus to watch them. And all of those states use rifles.

Every year you hear of maybe a couple of accidents. The reason it's not higher might be because you don't have people sitting in trees.

Where did you find the statistics to compare accidents during deer seasons?

If it's a safety thing (which I don't understand), what's the difference if I'm sitting in a tree wearing orange with a bow in my hand or a shotgun in my hand?

How am I any more safe depending on the weapon I'm holding, as long as I am still wearing orange?

What weapon you are holding makes zero difference. You are correct on that point. However, who's more likely to hunt out of a tree, bow hunter or gun hunter? More bow hunters = more guys in trees. If bow season continued through shotgun I would likely hunt with the bow but only in locations I absolutely knew there would be no gun hunters just simply for the sake of someone overlooking me sitting in a tree. Even if I'm wearing orange.

Trust me you wouldn't complain about it if you had Indiana's laws. Our gun is 16 days and opened nov 15th. Now ML is 16 days and opened 12-7. Then we have a late doe season for 6 more days just before January 1st. That's 6 weekends and 32 days nearly straight if gun hunting pressure!

I'd gladly let archery out for all of shotgun if it were only 7 total days around dec 1st each year.

With the added number of hunters in the field for shotgun season there would be a pretty high risk of someone getting smacked up in a tree by a stray slug.

Would the risk not be far greater for those on the ground? I cannot even imagine why a slug would be up in the trees.

Missouri archery season is closed during gun season but you can buy a gun tag and hunt with a bow.

Funny that I hunt shotgun but only sit in a tree stand. I've done some mini-drives but sitting is still my fav. And yeah if you ask me much higher % getting shot on a drive.

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Would the risk not be far greater for those on the ground? I cannot even imagine why a slug would be up in the trees.

You'd be amazed. There are a lot of irresponsible/inexperienced people out there. I only party hunt once in a great while; and if I had a dollar for every time I heard a slug whiz by above me....well you could imagine. most the time it is because someone is shooting uphill toward a ridgetop and they obviously miss their target.

I can recall a few years back doing a push and I was uphill, but in plain sight of another guy who kicked up a couple deer that took off directly toward me. I got ready to shoot as they closed the distance to about 20 yards, when this bozo started blazing away in my direction. I dropped to the ground trying to get as low as possible as the deer damn near stepped over me as they ran off unharmed. That guy was lucky I didn't strangle him and leave him for the coyotes after that little episode.

For the record, I would never bowhunt in a tree during gun season. You never know for sure what kind of people are hunting near you, and if they know you are out there as well. The 2-1/2 months that us archers get to hunt is/should be more than plenty. I don't want gun hunters in my season, so lets not bother theirs.

Pushers should never carry guns and you should only hunt with people you trust your life with. I've never did a deer drive and prolly won't.

Iowa has the finest archery season in the country. It only makes sense to let the gun hunters have their time in the woods.

It's safety plain and simple. I personally wouldn't bow hunt during the shotgun season for my own personal safety. I've "orange army " hunted quite a bit. It's how I started and I'm not ashamed to say it. But, a hunter in a tree is out of the line of sight of a hunter driving deer, and I don't care how well your slug gun patterns at the range. Slugs are undependable in my personal opinion on their flight pattern. Also ask how many orange army hunters just pull their gun out of their closet and go out. No thanks. I'll take the seasons the way they are we have more than adequate time to close the deal with archery equipment. Plus Iowa does it correctly with no gun hunting during the rut.

Top Bottom