Making deer tags good for any season, or how to get more than one buck tag HF218

Discussion in 'Legislative Forum' started by Fishbonker, Feb 4, 2019.

1. deerhunter93

deerhunter93 Well-Known Member

I emailed the Joe Mitchell guy even though he's not my representative and surprisingly he has emailed back and forth with me and answered all my questions. Basically he's against the DNR.

"I sincerely will consider what you have said. Relating to the DNR I have heard horrific stories of blatant over reaches of power from confiscating people’s rifles to threatening to take vehicles. They have messed with fish populations in Odessa which has ruined the once popular fishing spot. It’s not hard to hear about a bad DNR story from someone. Take this as you will."

As far as this bill, he believes they are trying to grab money by not allowing tags to be carried over. I told him I was fine with hours/weeks/months worth of fun for $28.50 and that golf courses are littered with people paying $40 for a morning.

meyeri, cybball, Daver and 4 others like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

You handled it better than I. He may be completely against them, but if he had any brain at all he would understand it is not a money grab when they are already completely underfunded to do their jobs... if people don't want their stuff taken by the DNR then they should follow the rules. Seems simple enough

Daver, Broot and Rjack like this.
  4. 150 Class

150 Class Moderator

I agree. I doubt if the DNR is our enemy on this one.

Daver likes this.
  5. mplane72

mplane72 Active Member

I am all for young people getting involved in politics but his response shows he's still wet behind the ears. Good Grief.

6. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

If you need to find out who your legislator is go here: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/find

in years past there have been postings on who is on the NR committee. An updated list for that would be helpful if someone has it.

7. Ishi

Ishi Hang & Hunt Enthusiast

Bazaar this youngster gets elected and starts a personal vandeta
    Bazarr this youngster gets elected and starts a personal vendetta against the DNR.

8. 2-bucks

2-bucks PMA Member

The good news here is that he is willing to listen and his motivation is good even if his plan is not beneficial. There is a chance that if enough hunters reach out to him and say thank you for trying to help BUT please don't use this method for theses reasons, he may change his mind.

9. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

House: (The bill in question is in the house)

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/committees/committee?ga=88&groupID=680

Senate:

https://www.legis.iowa.gov/committees/committee?ga=88&groupID=699 The Senate calls the committee "Natural Resources and Environment"

10. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

This bill was assigned to a subcommittee today. Subcommittee members are:

Representative Mark Smith, District 71 (parts of Marshall County) Email: mark.smith@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=64

Representative Anne Osmundson, District 56 (Allamakee and most of Clayton County) Email: Anne.Osmundson@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=27029

Representative Terry Baxter, District 8 ((Hancock, Wright and parts of Kossuth Counties) Email: Terry.Baxter@legis.iowa.gov Legislative page: https://www.legis.iowa.gov/legislators/legislator?ga=88&personID=13796

I don't see a date for the subcommittee meeting but if you want to contact the members of the subcommittee I'd do it sooner rather than later. They did away with the 24 hour notification for subcommittee meetings. Theoretically they could assign a subcommittee and hold the meeting immediately.

11. bigbuckhunter88

Thanks Bonker. Emails sent

deerhunter93 likes this.
  12. deerhunter93

It's easy to sit on forums and complain but don't complain if you're not going to take the 5 minutes to send emails. Emails sent!

Sligh1 likes this.
  13. Hawk32

Hawk32 Active Member

emails sent. I'm sure they will like it :)

deerhunter93 likes this.
  14. bigbuckhunter88

Baxter emailed me back this morning saying "Thanks for your concerns and I understand them. Encourage others to email also."
    It took like 2 minutes to email all 3. No excuses

deerhunter93 likes this.
  15. Hawk32

Hawk32 Active Member

You received a very similar email from baxter.

Thanks for your email. You did a great job of expressing your opposition to the bill. It is very helpful hearing from the public on this matter. Please invite others to write as well.

16. hillrunner

hillrunner PMA Member

emails sent.

deerhunter93 likes this.
  17. deerhunter93

Similar response from Mr. Baxter to me as well:

Thank you for your email. I understand you concern as verbalized in this email. I am very shy of this bill for numerous reasons.

I haven't received an email from the other two (Anne and Mark) at this point.

18. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

I emailed all 3 as well. There will be never ending threats to the hunting in iowa. These special interest groups will never stop. It is up to the hunting community to be heard. KIGI KEEP IOWA GREAT FOREVER.

Sligh1 likes this.
  19. Ishi

Ishi Hang & Hunt Enthusiast

I received the same response!! He wants more emails with opinions..... so get the emails sent now !!

20. Rjack

Rjack Well-Known Member

Email sent.

21. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Emails sent to all three, plus my local house reps. This bill to some sounds like it would be great and save them a few bucks. The long term results would really be bad. I really like the DNR and all the services they provide us, which in a large part is funded by buying tags. Can't imagine the shotgun seasons with everyone out all at the same time. Definitely a motive behind this, and it's not to save a few guys $ or having to eat tag soup.

Fishbonker likes this.