Making Sausage

Discussion in 'Food Corner' started by tigejones, Jan 4, 2019.

1. tigejones

tigejones BugEater

Ishi has done such a great job with the Dried Venison thread, he suggested and I agreed that we should have a forum related to sausage making.

So:
    What do you do?
    What equipment do you use?
    What seasoning?
    What tips have you found to make things easier?

GO!!

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. tigejones

tigejones BugEater

I have made summer sausage, brats and breakfast sausage.

Equipment:
    Until this year I used a Kitchenaid mixer with a grinder and stuffing attachment. This works ok, but is pretty slow. This year my wife gave me a LEM grinder for Xmas and it worked great. I also use my smoker (smoke to internal temp of 165) and vacuum seal

Seasoning:
    Summer Sausage - seasoning from Scheels
    Brats - I have tried the brat seasoning from Scheels and also Fareway's brat seasoning(Prefer)
    Breakfast Sausage - I have only uses the seasoning that Fareway uses in it's breakfast sausage - it has great flavor

Tips:
    Casing for brats - if possible always use natural(pig or sheep intestine)casings. I have also tried the collagen casings from Scheels and they suck. The links don't seal and they split much easier when stuffing.
    Grinding - If using a KA mixer, don't force it and try to use very cold to partially frozen material otherwise the meat plugs very quickly.

4. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Tagging :D:D

5. tigejones

tigejones BugEater

Also for all of my sausages, I use a 70/30 deer to pork mix. For the pork I use pork shoulder and grind it myself.

For the smoker reference above, this is only for the summer sausage.

6. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Next time you make sausages..... pics..... pics and more pics :)

A few years ago Soil made a bunch of stuff. Time to join in Soil

7. tigejones

tigejones BugEater

Will do, unfortunately that will be next year. All out of meat to process.

8. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

I assume there are different blades for different coarseness of the finished product. Can you guys explain what blades are used for hotdog and bologna compared to hamburger? I don't like course ground summer sausage, I don't like hotdog consistency for summer sausage either. Which blades, I don't even know what term to use, give different finishes?

Thanks.

9. 4DABUCKS

4DABUCKS Well-Known Member

Great ?'s
    I use the 1/4 holes for all my deer and pork, then mix with a hand mixer, then run back through the grinder to stuff into 1 or 2lb poly bags. I too would like to know what size blades others use and why. It seems to me that using the 1/4 inch holes blends both the deer and pork together well, it is also at a good consistency after going through the grinder twice!

10. JNRBRONC

JNRBRONC Moderator

I’ve been doing a bunch of reading prepping for my first attempt. The books say to grind at as close to freezing as possible, especially the fat. Fat gets “smeary” if ground when too warm.

The knife is the same, just swap plates with different hole sizes. I have an old hand crank that I modified to run off a 3/4” drill for ground venison. Now we are going to try a LEM grinder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 PMA Member

I've made a few types. We generally do brats once a year. I use the seasoning from Frisco spices out of LaVista nebraska. They are at the Classic every year and you can avoid shipping that way. I haven't had a mix of theirs that I didn't care for.

I generally mix about 70/30 as well. You can add more pork, but I'm cheap....
    Casings, natural hog casings for brats. They keep for a very long time in the freezer.
    If jumping into sausage making, get a mixer. That's the part that was hardest for me prior to having a mixer.

Cured sausage is much harder than fresh. The temps for smoking cured has to be tightly controlled to get good results. Larger sausages like summer sausage or trail salonga are far easier then snack sticks.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

12. Fishbonker

Fishbonker Life Member

This is the grinder my Ma used back in the day:

IMG_0017.JPG

The screw pushed the meat through the disc and then the blades chopped it up. So this is my frame of reference when asking about blades. She didn't make sausage, she would grind up left over roast beef, chicken and ham for samiches. Nothing went to waste. I still remember her telling me that green stuff on my bread was frosting.

When you guys make sausage or sticks do you start with whole cuts of meat or already ground meat? The wife has a kitchen aid mixer and I wonder if it would work better with previously ground meat but it the meat would turn to paste.

13. goatman

goatman I hunt days ending in Y

When I make sticks I grind first with the small hole disk or plate. I have a 4 knife cutter. My knives are on the inside. After grinding my seasoning and pink cure are added then stuffed with a small tube and open plate that I think they call a kidney plate. Smoke the next day after being in the frig overnight. I like the 19mm casings from Lem's.

14. crietveld

crietveld Active Member

I grind all of my deer through a 3/16 inch plate, for burger or making sausage and sticks. If I am making sausage or sticks for myself I use 100 % deer, I was never a fan of commercial made stuff that tasted like it was half pork fat.

My buddy has one of the LEM 10lb stuffers, the pot style with a crank on it. It is way faster than using the grinder for bologna and summer sausage. The best trick for easy stuffing is add plenty of water when mixing.

We are doing sticks and summer sausage this weekend, I will take pics of the process and post them.

15. StickersNKickers

StickersNKickers Camo Up!

I have made summer sausage and sticks once, but it's been several years. I had some ground deer with beef added (not sure if it was hamburger or just fat) in the freezer to use up. I think they were 1 lb packages and I bought some ground pork to add. Think I went 1:1 for both the SS and sticks.

For the summer sausage, I used a homemade seasoning recipe given to me by an old co-worker who used it with beef (below). I just mixed the meat together by hand. I thought it was pretty good for my first try. Since it wasn't in a casing, it let a lot of the grease escape as it cooked, but didn't end up too dry either. I think smoking it would be good too, but you would need to adjust cooking times for the lower heat. For a variation, I tried one loaf with diced cheddar and jalapeno. I used regular cheddar, which melted too much. The peppers came out a little crunchy still, so probably needed to cook them a bit before mixing in.

Summer Sausage Recipe:
    2 lb ground meat (whatever ratio you like)
    1/4 tsp black pepper
    1/4 tsp garlic salt
    1/4 tsp onion salt
    1 Tbsp mustard seed
    2 Tbsp Morton's Tender Quick (curing salt)
    1 Tbsp Liquid Smoke
    3/4 C water

Mix all ingredients well. Shape into 2 rolls. Wrap in wax paper and foil. Refrigerate 24 hours. Preheat oven to 350. Remove loaves from wraps and place on broiler pan or other drip pan and place in oven. Bake at 350 for 1 hour. Let cool and enjoy!

For the sticks, I used High Mountain seasonings. I remember liking the pepperoni and black pepper garlic the best. Followed the instructions from the kit for amounts and curing time. Think I tried using a grinder with a stuffing tube, but I only had plates with small holes in them, which made the meat finer. Also tried a jerky gun with the tube, which worked best to make individual sticks one at a time. I don't remember the brand of the casings, but I know they were mahogany colored. I used the casings on both the mixer and jerky gun. The sticks ended up being pretty greasy with all of the pork that I added, so I'd definitely cut it back if using casings. I remember peeling the casings off to eat them, partly to scrape some of the fat off. :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  16. StickersNKickers

StickersNKickers Camo Up!

Updated post above with SS recipe.

17. Boonervilleusa

Boonervilleusa Active Member

I made 40 lbs of breakfast sausage last weekend.

I used 70/30 mix venison to pork trim from Fareway (pork trim is higher in fat than pork shoulder or ground pork)

For seasoning I mixed
    2 boxes Smokehouse products zesty Western breakfast sausage mix, and
    3 packets of LEM cajun fresh sausage mix
    (This is for 40 lbs)

It turned out absolutely amazing. Like meat candy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. goatman

goatman I hunt days ending in Y

That looks good.

19. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Looks wonderful!! Where did you get the seasoning from?
    Do you have a meat mixer or get down and dirty with your hands?
    Gotta try this!!

20. Boonervilleusa

Boonervilleusa Active Member

Actually got the seasoning from Scheels.

I have a mixer that I used. Putting enough water in with the seasoning is huge. Helps meat get that sticky consistency for sausage

21. Jmac0501

Jmac0501 PMA Member

Worked through 25 lbs of brats this afternoon.
    15lbs venison mixed with 10 lbs of ground pork. That's about as lean as I dare go.

Forgot to get the camera out until after mixing was done.
    I used a mix from fricoe spices for the seasoning.
    I just have a 5lb stuffer, so it takes a few loads to get it all done.
    I kind of cool up the brats as I make them.
    Pinch and twist them to separate ok nto links I alternate the direction I twist so I dont in untwist the previous one.
    I try to let them freeze trays and then bag them up once frozen.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Ishi likes this.