Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Marginal Hit...Thoughts?

boonerz

OK, so tonight was the night I finally got out after a week and the place was on fire. Had a few bucks through when a shooter finally showed face a half hour before sundown. It happened so fast but literally just had enough time to get drawn before I had to grunt and let it rip. He stood 24 yards and completely broadside to me if not a slight quarter away. I thought it looked good until it hit. It looked slightly high but hardly looked like any penetration. I'm shooting full metal jackets with 100g Thunderheads and pulling 70#. It took off like normal and I thought what I heard was a slight stumble/crash but it might be wishful thinking. After that I didn't hear anything. I would guess I maybe got 8 inches of penetration and again it looked high right above the vitals. Everything about this tells me shoulder blade but wondered your thoughts? What else would stop the arrow from a pass through is something I'm curious.

I plan to let him lay over night and head out to look at first light. No sleep in my future...absolutely HATE this feeling.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts...

Thanks!

Did almost the same thing last Friday..on a 170 inch 8 pointer. Had him broadside at 40 yards and shot looked great. I think I must've hit him in the shoulder as I only got 8 inches penetration. Arrow fell out first lunge broadhead stayed in him and end of arrow splintered. I watched him crash over some logs and fall then got up and grunted after a doe. I backed out until the next morning.. and found awesome blood for 75 yards ..then nothing. I never found him! I hope the same is not for you good luck! I don't know how 8 inches cant hit lung!?

Did you look at all before leaving for the night? A high hit in the chest could mean a poor initial blood trail but a dead deer. A high hit in the muscle that was stopped by shoulder blade or the top of the vertebra would make for decent initial blood trail from muscle bleeding but one that played out and a surviving deer. I tend to at least look before deciding to wait it out for the night. Hope you find him before the coyotes. Good luck in the AM. Keep us posted.

8 inches will hit lungs if the shot was high you can have good blood at first but then the cavity will start filling with blood which means blood trail will be minimal. I'd keep sounds like he'll be dead.

I did look for blood when I got down where I shot him but didn't want to chance kicking him up if he was laying down and not dead yet. I've pushed them before when I was unsure and regretted it more than anything. Took me 2 days to find that one. This time I'm trying to learn from experience and completely back out until morning. No blood and no hair when I looked.

I'll be out there searching hard tomorrow but I truly don't have high hopes. Some of your responses are giving me some hope though. Just hard to tell what it actually hit.

I'll let you all know the outcome tomorrow.

Depending on the angle in which you hit him the reason it might have stopped was because it hit the opposite shoulder or a rib bone. I agree on the little to no blood because of the high hit but replay your shot in your head and think about the Arrow angle.

I shot a doe earlier in year, looked perfect but the arrow didn't penetrate like I thought. I found her 200 yds away, arrow hit opposite shoulder

Could be your same situation! Lets hope! Good luck

Well my gut feeling was right. Definitely wasn't lethal. Kicked him up this morning and saw the arrow sticking out of his shoulder. He looked very lively but I'm sure sore. Hardly any blood at all. He will live no doubt. Terrible feeling losing one like that. Good luck guys.

Did almost the same thing last Friday..on a 170 inch 8 pointer. Had him broadside at 40 yards and shot looked great. I think I must've hit him in the shoulder as I only got 8 inches penetration. Arrow fell out first lunge broadhead stayed in him and end of arrow splintered. I watched him crash over some logs and fall then got up and grunted after a doe. I backed out until the next morning.. and found awesome blood for 75 yards ..then nothing. I never found him! I hope the same is not for you good luck! I don't know how 8 inches cant hit lung!?

That is absolutely crazy, I agree. It takes a tough animal to get whacked and go right after a doe like that. Crazy animals for sure. I can't imagine having a 170 inch 8pt coming through the timber. It takes a monster of an 8 to get that big. Reminds me of the ohio 8 ptr. Did he look like this?

giant%20ohio%208%20point%202%2011-3-11.jpg

Well it's confirmed..I saw the big 170 class 8 pointer limping and bumping does tonight. How does a deer take a g5 t3 in the shoulder at 40 yards and live to chase does?! Incredible animals...time to tweak stands a little and get back on him!

Top Bottom