Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Meat grinder/mixer options?

Gladiator

PMA Member
Anyone mix and grind their own deer meat into burger? I'm looking for something to do my own...

To be specific, I'm looking to buy some grass fed beef and mix at a ratio of 2/3 beef to 1/3 deer. Then I'll package my own.

Anyone do this or have any advice? Cheaper the better, obviously. :)

I've been using the attachment to my wife's kitchen aide mixer that last few years. That puppy gets HOT and i'd advise against it if you do any volume of grinding whatsoever. I'm also purchasing something new this year, probably something midrange from the LEM line.
I don't know your uses or goals with the final product but I'm pretty close to 100% venison on my burger mix now but never went as low as 1/3 venison; closer to a flip ratio of what you got there

Agree on buying a unit with enough power. A few extra $$$ now and it will do a better job for a lot longer than a little $60 counter top unit! I've looked at the LEM line as well as the Cabela's grinder (got points to use). Lem is good and has a good reputation. I thought Cabelas were made by LEM but their new "Carnivore" line of grinders looks different. They may have changed where they get them. I wouldn't go less than the 3/4 horse model and would like bigger. Problem is I've got a commercial Hobart grinder that was older than dirt when I bought it used 35 years ago and that old suker just won't quit!

Not to change the subject, but wonder why you would buy grass fed beef to mix with venison? Only advantage to grass fed is it is lean and venison is already lean and if it's not, you want to trim the fat off before grinding anyway. I mix 90% lean venison with 10% beef fat trim from a market that only cuts choice or better grain finished beef and I'll put my venison burger up against anyone's for any use from burgers to chili to meatloaf... Not to argue with your choice, just curious, as I've recently read a long discussion on grass fed beef on a grilling/bbq forum and grass fed was deemed to be overpriced and less desirable...

Thank you for the replies, that will help greatly! Much appreciated!

Yeah, I think the grass fed beef discussion is one for another thread. :) I think the big reason is my wife can taste the difference between the two, so "watering" venison down a little with beef helps. We use it a lot in chili and taco meat and other things.

Certainly don't want to start a war on here by any means, but teaching AP biology and reading lots, we prefer the health benefits of grass fed beef vs the alternative. Again, I know that's a debated topic, but after reading all sides of the story, we feel this way about beef (and milk and other foods as well). The ol' FDA.....I'll stop there! :)

Again, thanks for the replies!

I've been using a 1 hp grinder from cabelas for several years. It does awesome and just eats through the meat. I still trim it very well before grinding to remove the fat and silver skin. That stuff will clog a grinder quick.

After mixing the deer ground and venison ground, either by hand or a mixer, is to grind it all again. This takes more time than the initial grind but seems to mix it better and looks much better. I don't use the feeder tray though. I just feed it through the main neck as its larger which reduces time. Just watch your hand and fingers! We place on styrofoam set trays in the desired weight and then vacuum seal each one.

Anyone mix and grind their own deer meat into burger? I'm looking for something to do my own...

To be specific, I'm looking to buy some grass fed beef and mix at a ratio of 2/3 beef to 1/3 deer. Then I'll package my own.

Anyone do this or have any advice? Cheaper the better, obviously. :)

Did you decide on anything? I'm a click away from LEM #8 but still seems like a lot of money, idk

Did you decide on anything? I'm a click away from LEM #8 but still seems like a lot of money, idk

Not yet - going to try out my buddies first and go from there. Figure you can't beat trying something out before you buy it.

I spent about 120$ five years ago on a grinder, 1 horse is more then enough power,I think for the money well werth making your own.I grind 30 lbs a year 1/3 prime beef chuck roast 2/3 deer. there is enough fat to make a good burger just dont over pack your burger.

I spent about 120$ five years ago on a grinder, 1 horse is more then enough power,I think for the money well werth making your own.I grind 30 lbs a year 1/3 prime beef chuck roast 2/3 deer. there is enough fat to make a good burger just dont over pack your burger.

I think the LEM I am after is .35hp. Grinding 2-3 deer a year this should be fine...I think...but hell I don't know. Just upgrading from what I use now and don't know the hp.

I grind about 40# of my deer into burger every year. Trim it lean & then I add 10% (4#) of beef fat that I buy from the local grocery store. The burgers taste great & don't shrink like beef. (Honestly can't stand beef burgers anymore, shrink too much & too gray & stringy).

I have a LEM #12 grinder w/ the "Big Bite" auger (Great little grinder)& a foot switch. $50 foot switch is worth every penny. I use bags & a bag sealer for burger.

I do 2 grinds. 1st is course & 2nd is fine & right through the large stuffing tube & into a bag.

W/ 20 years of commercial food equipment repair, I have a few things for you to look at if you are buying a used grinder.

1. Is it single or 3 phase.
Single = 2 hots & 1 gnd. This is 120V or 208-240V
Three = 3 hots & 1 gnd. This is 208-480V. Rarely in residential service. (not 2 hots, 1 neutral & 1 gnd)

More than likely, unless you are locker/processer - you will need single phase. (I can't tell you how many people buy a used 3 phase grinder just because they have a welder & 208v in their shop & discover that they can't even run the grinder due to wrong phase) Single & 3 phase are very different things.

2. Unplug the grinder. With the end ring off of the cylinder & no knife & plate, grab the stud on the end of the worm & wiggle it up & down. There should be very little play.

3. Look at the worm & see if the edges are still square or are they rounded over? They should be somewhat square. Also check the drive end that goes into the grinder - is it worn?

4. Look at the end ring & check for a groove where the plate makes contact w/ it. There should not be a groove.

5. Is there oil or grease coming out of the drive on the grinder?

6. When grinding - does the meat look uniform as it comes out or is it mushy like a paste? If it is like a paste - don't buy the grinder.

Also, a sharp plate & good knife are key to a good product.
Plates can be sharpened & trued. Knives are a throw-away item. "Sharpened" knives do nothing but heat & ruin plates (sometimes makes them crack between the holes). When you look at the cutting edge of the grinder knife think of it as a chisel. The area that contacts the plate should be an 1/8" across at most for an efficient grind & not ruining the plate.

Any other ?s, I will happily answer.

Top Bottom