Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mechanicals

petherss

After years of saying I would never go to mechanicals, this year I am going to try some. I never liked the idea of one more moving part on my setup. However, for the life of me, I cannot get my Muzzy 100 3 blades to fly the same as my fieldtip. I have done everything from having the bow paper tuned to weighing my broadheads vs. field tips to ensure apples to apples weight. It seems as though the fixed broadheads are always planing.

That was the long way to this question- guys who shoot mechanicals...how hard are these things to remove from a target when practicing? I've never heard anyone complain about it, but it would seem like they would be more difficult. I like to shoot my broadheads a lot to make sure they are dead on. Is this not an option with mechanicals?

They'll remove just as easily as fixed blades, if not easier.
waytogo.gif
On a side note.....if you're using a large expandable you're going to tear a block style target up in a hurry.
smirk.gif
That's one nice thing about the expandables......once you're certain they are going to fly like your field tips, there's really no reason to have to shoot them anymore.....just practice with your field tips.
waytogo.gif

I had the same experience with my broadheads last year, which incidentally were the same as the ones you were using. It was driving me even nuttier than I already am, till I switched to expandables. Problem solved.

I shot the expandables into a foam layered target and it chewed it up pretty bad, but the arrows pulled right back hrough without a problem. Then, like Crtitter, I just used my fieldtips for practive and switched to expandables for the season. Of course I shot each arrow once with the expanable to be sure it still flew straight, and they did.

The 'Bonker

Depending on the type of mechanical that you choose you may not tear up the target as badly... by that I mean.... I am shooting the Wasp Jakhammer heads... all you have to do is wrap a small strand of dental floss around a groove on the back of the blades then they will not deploy as they enter the target... thus a lot less damage to the foam
smile.gif

That reminds me, I would like a mechanical that doesn't need any o-rings to retain the blades. I think I've seen a few now that do not need any. I'm leaning toward the Rage heads but am open to suggestions. Accuracy is most important. If I felt my field tips would cause enough damage to kill consistently, I would use those....

[ QUOTE ]
That reminds me, I would like a mechanical that doesn't need any o-rings to retain the blades. I think I've seen a few now that do not need any. I'm leaning toward the Rage heads but am open to suggestions. Accuracy is most important. If I felt my field tips would cause enough damage to kill consistently, I would use those....

[/ QUOTE ]

Those Rage heads look pretty deadly. That's what i would try!

I have been using Jak hammers religiously for about 5 years now and love them. With that said, I am going to try the rage broadheads on a few does to see if the holes are as advertised. If they do, they will be in the quiver this year for the rut.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Rage heads still have the O Ring it is at the base instead of over the blades. I personally think it is the largest flaw in the heads. I all so thought they planed. They are the worst mechanicals I have used. Right now I am using Stealheads.

[ QUOTE ]
I have been using Jak hammers religiously for about 5 years now and love them. With that said, I am going to try the rage broadheads on a few does to see if the holes are as advertised. If they do, they will be in the quiver this year for the rut.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why fix what aint broke? Jakhammers Kick a$$!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The hole is big but that is the last good thing I can say about them. I killed four deer with them last year and did not want them in my quiver when it really mattered. The oring can fail very easily and when the big guy steps out you draw and notice your blades are flopping loose, not good! Or flop loose upon the shot, I suspect that is why I had a few errant shots(planing). Did I say I didn't like them.
grin.gif

Oh crap - Ironwoods review has got me worried. I never thought I would use a mech, but some holes that the Rages make I've seen pictures of got me curious and I got some to test out on does. After reading that I'm alittle concerned.

If you don't want to mess with O-rings, then try Grim Reapers. I've been using them for 2 years now and have been really happy with them. The only downside to them I have found is their sharpness out of the package. It is easily solved by touching them up a little.

[ QUOTE ]
The hole is big but that is the last good thing I can say about them. I killed four deer with them last year and did not want them in my quiver when it really mattered. The oring can fail very easily and when the big guy steps out you draw and notice your blades are flopping loose, not good!

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree 'Wood they are not as simple as some of the better mechanicals mentioned before. The damage I have seen is awesome but they require two hands to return blades to normal. Like 'Wood said wrong thing to be messing with in the moment.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why fix what aint broke? Jakhammers Kick a$$!

[/ QUOTE ]

What size Jak hammers are you guys having your best luck with?? 1 3/4 or the 1 1/4 inch version??

wow. you guys have me nervous about mechanicals now.....Maybe i'll just limit my shots to 20 yards max and aim low......Thanks guys

Trust me mechanicals are awesome. Just stick with a simple design and large cutting diameter 1 1/4 plus (I prefer 1 1/2 plus)with a three blade design and you will be happy. I have and many of the other members and staff have shot many deer with these and have never had a problem. A solid o ring design like the wasps Wasp Broadheads is hard to beat or the o ring free spitfires from nap is a good choice Spitfires check out the video at thir site of a mechanical entering ballastic gel. I have also shot approx 50 does with the cheap Wal Mart bought Eastman Outfitters Silver Strike broadheads. I treat these as disposbles as they usually are damaged but get the job done and are a value. I would not recommend them for large bodied bucks as they are not as tough as the previously mentioned heads.Eatman Outfitters Slver Strike
In my opinion they are hard to beat.I remember when I switched from fixed blade to mechanicals it was night and day for recovery and accuarcy. The advantage of field point accuarcy and a large cutting diameter speaks for itself.

I've been really really happy with Rocket brand mechanicals. I started with 75 grain Miniblasters and a year or so ago I switched to the 100 grain 2 inch cut Hammerheads. Entry/exit holes are insane and track jobs are very short.

Hammerheads

"What size Jak hammers are you guys having your best luck with?? 1 3/4 or the 1 1/4 inch version??" quote...

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion it depends on your equipment setup, etc..... I like to shoot lower poundage (56 lbs.) so I am shooting the 1 1/4" Jakhammers .... I personally would not recommend shooting over 1 1/2" unless you are shooting 70 lbs or more draw.... pushing a large diameter 3 blade head thru a shoulder blade in the event of a marginal hit takes some serious kinetic energy....

[ QUOTE ]
I am shooting 1.75 jak hammers. Very rare is it that a deer gets over 50 yards from where they are shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what Matt is shooting for now... until his sponsors tell him what he has to shoot
grin.gif

.... " those Wac-Em broadheads are the best"..... just don't show a close up of Limb's quiver on video... we might see a Jakhammer hiding in there
evil.gif
peace.gif

Top Bottom