Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mechanicals

I agree that Wasp makes a great product, I'm just trying to promote companies that return the favor (as I've been promoting Wasp heads for years). Some things happened with Wasp that I won't go into, but I'll put it this way, I'll shoot a field point before screwing another one on the end of my arrow. For this reason, I was in-persuit of a new head this year, and Piston Point's were the only ones I really liked (by concept). The Rage head's are nice, but I just can't get over the cut-on-contact tip they use. Not a fan of the strength of a single blade up-front. That is why the Piston Points seemed to be the best of both worlds. After testing them, I believe they surpass the durability of any mechanical out there. Mostly due to the .040" thick blades, which I believe are the thickest blades currently offered in a mechanical head.

I can't spell very well BTW.... he he he....

[ QUOTE ]
Some things happened with Wasp that I won't go into, but I'll put it this way, I'll shoot a field point before screwing another one on the end of my arrow.

[/ QUOTE ]
confused.gif

If you're going to make as bold and brash a statement as that, you might want to back it up by shedding some light on the situation to the rest of us.

I look forward to reading your review of the Piston Points, and I appreciate the effort and time you put into testing so others of us don't have to. I just can't understand why people get so worked up about broadhead designs, when there are so many good ones out there. Do you think Native American Indians whose lives depended on harvesting animals "trashed talked" each others broadheads after hours of chipping and grinding went into making one head? There's nothing wrong with being critical of broadheads, but let's try to keep the criticism "constructive". For years I was skeptical of mechanical heads, but not anymore. I've seen lots of pics and heard lots of stories of deer harvested since joining this site, many of which were taken with Wasp mechanicals. I've also done some of my own "crude" testing, and I've been convinced that with today's efficient bows, quality arrows, <font color="red">and a proficient archer and responsible hunter behind them </font> , most mechanicals are legitimate killing tips when selected for appropriate sized game.

It was political, nothing to do with the fuction or quality of the heads.

You can shoot whatever you want, I was just giving my opinion of the Piston Point, which is the head I recently tested.

Like someone mentioned, you can kill a deer with a field point - so use whatever you want man!

Buckcrack I shoot Muzzy 100 grn 4 blade with a 68 pound draw. They shoot just like field tips from 0 to 50 yards. I am with you about mechanicals and don't want to use them.

WOW!

Seems kind of crazy to me all this jumping back and forth on what is better and why I wont use it.

I appreciate the honest opinions of everyone here and the honest field testing but my gosh! Can some of us please come back to earth.

Why do some defend a product like they made it? Or making a lot of money each time they defend something?

If the product is good that is great, promote a good product, I love that you are that loyal to the bh that YOU shoot.

I hate mechanicals but the advantage they have over fixed bh's is that a poorly tuned bow can shoot them and they typically can carry a larger cutting diameter which some people think they need.

But really......seriously.......not shoot a bh because of a political reason.

I can understand because they use to be a sponsor or something to that effect but because they support Hillary or something like that is just kind of out there if you ask me.

Have I shot mechanicals....yep. Do I still have mechanicals.....yep. Will I shoot them if it comes down to my last arrow in my quiver.......yep. Will they be on my first through #4 arrow.............Nope. I will stick with my 4-blade fixed blade

Once again, Thank you for your honest and complete review of the bh that you have chose for the season. Awesome review IMO but I just didnt care for how the blades are held on by a rubber band.

Here's what I'm learning the quickest in this archery bit. Some things will be loved by some, hated by others. Whether it be broadheads, bows, arrows, whatever..
crazy.gif

Just like some people will be loved by some (Barry Bonds is KING) and hated by others, ( Bonds is a cheater and a joke)!

Anyways, I have some Muzzy's and some Rage 2 blade, I hope to be able to give my opinion of both this fall.
smirk.gif

I also hope even moreso that I perform as well as I can so the blades have their best chance to operate as they're supposed to.

I shot a bunch of does one season with NAP spitfires. They performed excellent. All of them dropped within sight of my stand. I still like a fixed blade for durability and have switched from Muzzys to Slick Tricks.

I think I'll be trying the 125grain
1.75" Jackhammers this year. I've only heard good things about them and from what I've seen, they aren't as overpriced as some other mechanicals are.

I have been shooting Thunderheads for a fixed blade head for a long time and Satilites before that. I thought I would try 1.75 Jackhammers this fall. They shoot and fly really well so far. This will be the first time I have shot a mechanical for hunting. I don't think anyone could go wrong with shooting just about any broadhead as long as you practice with it. There are so many good ones on the market that will do the job, I don't think anyone could go wrong with just about anything on the shelf. Its the hunters job to know the limitations of their equipment and what works best for them. Just my .02

I have enjoyed the read to this point so guess now is the time to throw in my pennies worth.
There appears to be no doubt that the rage heads do an amazing job of wrecking shop on entrance and exit. However, as some have stated earlier in this thread, the "O Rings" on these broadheads is an issue. During the course of the spring turkey season two out of the 3 broadheads had them fail. The third, which has simple been sitting around since spring is cracked and will need to be replaced.
I am not an expert but feel that this failure is not a design problem but rather a material quaility problem. I base this on the fact that the jackhammers I have been using for the last several years have had no similare problems what so ever.
I will have both jackhammers and Rage 2 blades in my quiver this fall and hope that I have the opportunity to use both. You can gaurentee that I will be checking my Rage heads twice before knocking an arrow.

It is all a preference thing! I have shot tons of different broadheads and will have Spitfire XP Pro series in my quiver. I have shot a lot of deer with them and and am yet to have a problem. They may not full deploy on entrance,(according to some studies) but they seem to do the trick! I may try out the HellRazors from Nap as well! I have shot everything for a 2 blade delta to BuckBlasters and it still breaks down to one thing. Make a good clean ethical shot and the broadhead on the tip of your arrow will do the trick! Doesn't matter who made it!

Hey guys I looked back and saw where people said that the o-ring on the Rages failed, but I didn't see how they had. I thought the o-ring was just there as a "shock absorber" for the blades. Could someone explain how it failed for them?

[ QUOTE ]
Hey guys I looked back and saw where people said that the o-ring on the Rages failed, but I didn't see how they had. I thought the o-ring was just there as a "shock absorber" for the blades. Could someone explain how it failed for them?

[/ QUOTE ]

When you close a Rage there is a little curve in the blades that actually clicks into the front of the O-ring.

Best I could explain it anyway. I just opened a pack and checked. I could feel a pretty good click when they closed but I could see how that would wear the rubber down and allow the blades to slide freely.

I wonder if you could just spin the o-ring every so often to get a fresh part of the o-ring.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

When you close a Rage there is a little curve in the blades that actually clicks into the front of the O-ring.

Best I could explain it anyway. I just opened a pack and checked. I could feel a pretty good click when they closed but I could see how that would wear the rubber down and allow the blades to slide freely.

I wonder if you could just spin the o-ring every so often to get a fresh part of the o-ring.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I see now thanks. I'll have to watch for that.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK I see now thanks. I'll have to watch for that.

[/ QUOTE ]
The rubber actually fails in a short period of time, cracks, and the O ring then falls off. I don't know if the ring is too tight or if it just a material issue.

Top Bottom