Meh...

Discussion in 'Shed Hunting Conference' started by Daver, Feb 16, 2019.

1. Daver

Daver PMA Member

My son found 7 freshies and an oldie today. Nothing big, but at least he had some success.

Me? I worked on building docks. Work in process, but I put a dent in it. :)[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sligh1, goatman, 203ntyp and 3 others like this.
  2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Khughes2345

Khughes2345 PMA Member

Nice on the sheds and the dock building! I’d like to build a dock on our pond as well. How’d you go about putting the posts in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Daver

Daver PMA Member

The ones pictured are essentially old telephone poles and pretty darn sturdy. :) We drilled the holes with a Bobcat and auger attachment when the pond was built, in 2016, when it was still dry ground. (Little did we know then that the dry ground would remain dry for over 2 years!) We dropped the poles in the holes and then I later trued them up and dumped a sack or two of concrete in each hole around the void and just let the rain...however scarce it was...work in with the sackrete and that really solidified them.

The 2+ year drought caused the pond not to fill until we finally started getting some rain in the Fall of 2018 and now it is completely full with water trickling out of the drain. Yee-hah!! So I had been waiting for "full pool" with ice cover to then place the dock in relation to the water surface. Today was that day. :)

There are two other docks, not pictured, elsewhere on "Daver Lake" :), those are smaller, simpler structures. They are supported by regular green treated 6x6's, which we also placed/sunk back when we had dry ground to work on. If your pond is already full of water, then you will need to approach this differently. If it were me, I would use the ice now and run some metal posts down through the ice and into the bottom of the pond and then use those as your posts, to build on with your frame. OR...go with a floating dock concept.

5. Khughes2345

Khughes2345 PMA Member

Might drill some holes with the ice auger and pound some poles down in the bottom of the pond muck. Probably be a little cheaper than floats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Genius thinking ahead on that dock!
    When r u going to stock fish in it?

7. Daver

Daver PMA Member

The fish were stocked in June 2017, when the pond was about 1/2 full. So I should be coming into some decent fishing this spring and summer, with really good fishing then next year and beyond. I have an incredible amount of habitat in the pond basin that is all flooded now...there are PLENTY of places for fishies to live and enjoy themselves...right up until I decide to have a fish dinner or two! :)

8. cybball

cybball PMA Member

Awesome idea. I'm having my very small pond redone this year. Drained, dredged out and cleared all around it of trees. I was wondering how to go about doing a dock. That is an awesome idea!! I could set posts late this summer and then built it on the ice when it's filled up.

9. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Yep...all you need is a Bobcat and an auger bit...and someone that doesn't mind working on a slope! :)

cybball likes this.
  10. scottonbuck

scottonbuck Active Member

Im just shocked you dont have any snow piled up everywhere.

11. Daver

Daver PMA Member

It may be different now, as two storms have come through since we left the farm last Saturday night. But there was snow cover until about Brighton and then everything south of that was pretty open. There was snow in the timbers and ditches, but the fields were pretty open.

12. MN Slick

MN Slick PMA Member

Do you have any pictures of the structure before it started to fill? We are going to drill holes in bowling balls and put PVC pipe into them for some structure in our little 1/4 acre puddle.

13. Daver

Daver PMA Member

Do you mean up close pictures that would give an idea of how to duplicate a given apparatus OR general pictures of how the various structures were placed in the pond basin? I had a variety of structures that were prepared, some PVC, some pallet "houses", some concrete, some tree rootballs, etc.

14. MN Slick

MN Slick PMA Member

If you have pics of some of the structures that would be great. How did you weight down the pallet houses? Thanks

15. Daver

Daver PMA Member

For the pallet houses, I drove 2 t-posts into the ground about 3' apart and then generally would put 4 pallets in between the 2 posts, all vertical and then a 5th pallet across the top of the four and then wired the whole apparatus together like a hillbilly farmer with leftover wire. :) (At least I didn't use duct tape. :)) It must have worked, once the water finally came up none of them broke free and were floating or drifting around the pond. I am anxious to get an underwater camera down there sometime and see what fishies are using those structures.

For funny bones, I would then place a few miscellaneous rocks on the top of the top pallet too. I'll get some pics up later...once again, I realize after the fact that I should have taken more pics! Harrumph! But I do have some, even if they aren't all close ups.

MN Slick likes this.
  16. deep woods goat hunter

deep woods goat hunter PMA Member

I should have planned ahead and did that when I built my pond... :(