Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Met with DNR Director

I wouldn't, but some people pay $4,000 to hunt for a week with an outfitter in Pike County, Illinois. I bet these same people who had $500,000 to buy 100 acres also have the $1,000 to buy the tag. I can't believe that I can still bow hunt for 90 days for a $27 any sex tag, I think that is pretty cheap in the whole scheme of things. The plowing of snow and favors I do to hunt ground near my house is what takes times and effort, but the friends I have made will allow me to hunt for many years to come. Soon, most hunting will be small woodlot hunting behind housing additions, that's where I do almost all of my hunting now.

One thousand dollars is still a lot of money, almost twice the current tag price. If the tag is for all seasons, then maybe they would sell a bunch, but I still think it would be under 1000 tags purchased.

$1000 for a whitetail tag, just seems outrageous to me, I've got a kid going to college next year, I would rather put that money toward his tuition than spend a $1000 on a tag...to each his own I guess.

Anyone on this site, willing to pay $1000 for a whitetail tag?

I personally would pay whatever I had to, to be able to do what I love! I always love to hear people complain about how much a deer tag or an elk tag or a hunting trip costs, usually the same guys that are driving a brand new truck, or have a camper sitting in their yard, or have a brand new big screen in their living room, etc.... Personally, being able to be in my treestand. or being on top of a mountain out west trumps all of the other material things in life! To each their own though......

NR tag

I personally would pay whatever I had to, to be able to do what I love! I always love to hear people complain about how much a deer tag or an elk tag or a hunting trip costs, usually the same guys that are driving a brand new truck, or have a camper sitting in their yard, or have a brand new big screen in their living room, etc.... Personally, being able to be in my treestand. or being on top of a mountain out west trumps all of the other material things in life! To each their own though......

I guess I wouldn't disagree with you, but there is always a point in the sale where the offer is too high. In my opinion it is too high. The rich, businessowner from Georgia, might think it is a fair price. We all differ on values. I'll wait for my tag every 3 years at the $550 price and hunt North Dakota ($200) over the counter, and Ontario ($175) over the counter, buy two tags for less than half the price of one, and they both offer good hunting, maybe not on the same caliber of Iowa...but just saying.

I guess I wouldn't disagree with you, but there is always a point in the sale where the offer is too high. In my opinion it is too high. The rich, businessowner from Georgia, might think it is a fair price. We all differ on values. I'll wait for my tag every 3 years at the $550 price and hunt North Dakota ($200) over the counter, and Ontario ($175) over the counter, buy two tags for less than half the price of one, and they both offer good hunting, maybe not on the same caliber of Iowa...but just saying.
I think you are missing the point. This only for those rich enough to be NRLOs in the first place..... Sure there might be "better" deals out there for license fees, but it doesn't do you any good if you hold land in another state.

Not endorsing this proposal by any means, just discussing it.

dedgeez, good point. Same goes for those who don't own land.

I would like to know how many NR landowners there are. And I mean NR rec landowners. Did anyone ask Lande that question? I'm sure he can give a good number based on the preferenced NR landowner doe tags sold. I bet it's not as large as everyone believes.

If NR landowner received tags every year I don't think there would be a rush to buy land. The bargain of buying Iowa rec ground happened and is over. Sure, a few NR's will buy land if something changes, but not in the droves as predicted.

I would like to know how many NR landowners there are. And I mean NR rec landowners. Did anyone ask Lande that question? I'm sure he can give a good number based on the preferenced NR landowner doe tags sold. I bet it's not as large as everyone believes.

If NR landowner received tags every year I don't think there would be a rush to buy land. The bargain of buying Iowa rec ground happened and is over. Sure, a few NR's will buy land if something changes, but not in the droves as predicted.

I'm not starting a debate, but I think you might be surprised.
Here are some #'s for you to consider. There are just under 32 million total acres in Iowa, as of 2002 NR owned just over 6 million of those or roughly 20%. Now as you can imagine that number has had a dramatic increase in the last 9 years due to the publicity that Iowa has received. In 2007 there were over 15,000 NR tags issued or purchased. Which has also increased since. What I am getting at is that I think there are more people than you think that would try to purchase land here if they could hunt every year. But bigger than that concern is that once you lose majority resident land ownership you lose the ability to control your deer herd and manage your state. I'm not saying that this would happen, but I am also realistic enough to realize that it could. And that is why I am fighting so hard for limited NR impact. Hope this answers some of your questions JDubs.

Last edited:

What percentage of the people in this country looked at that post over on Archerytalk? I know there were a few guys over there that stated "if this goes thru, I'll buy immediately."

Don't fool yourself. They'd be buying like crazy.

I realize 20% of Iowa land is owned by NR's, but I also know a lot of it is farm ground, owned to farm, and not rec land. That's why I think a more accurate number would come from the NR preferenced landowner doe tag allotment.

jjohnson, I agree, some would buy but Iowa land is not the bargain it once was. At present Iowa land is near the price of rec land in Illinois without guaranteed NR tags. I still say the "rush" is over stated.

Last edited:
No it's not the bargain it once was but the hunting is better than it was and the quality of hunting in other states is declining or is just terrible. These people want to hunt in Iowa every year whether they have to buy land to do it or not. There's always gonna be people with enough money.

Wisconsin has gotten so bad in the past 4 yrs it's ridiculus. I believe they're would be enough Wisconsin NR's buying in Iowa to call it a "rush". Not to mention MN, MI, and the rest of the country.

I think you are missing the point. This only for those rich enough to be NRLOs in the first place..... Sure there might be "better" deals out there for license fees, but it doesn't do you any good if you hold land in another state.

Not endorsing this proposal by any means, just discussing it.

Jnrbronc: If you read my post, I wrote that it doesn't interest me, but it may interest the rich person from say Georgia. I am not sure how I am missing the point. There has to be others like myself, that would not pay $1000 for a landowner tag. If 1/3 to 1/2 do not buy the tag, then I doubt they will sell out. I guess that is my point....I think they will sell less than 1000 of these tags, but I really do not know how many total NR landowners there are in Iowa??

I don't think there is a quota on these! Unless I'm a Tard and I misunderstood, these will be available to every NR landowner that owns more than 80 contiguous acres. That is on top of the 6000 NR any sex lottery tags, and doe tags. So in essence, the only way to even get one of these is to either already have land here or to come and purchase 80 or more acres. Which, say what you want but I think a very good number of individuals will try to. JMO

One thousand dollars is still a lot of money, almost twice the current tag price. If the tag is for all seasons, then maybe they would sell a bunch, but I still think it would be under 1000 tags purchased.

$1000 for a whitetail tag, just seems outrageous to me, I've got a kid going to college next year, I would rather put that money toward his tuition than spend a $1000 on a tag...to each his own I guess.

Anyone on this site, willing to pay $1000 for a whitetail tag?

If you had to wait 3 years to bowhunt your own property you might change your mind.

At first I was like no way in hell would I pay $1000 but after my brother pointed out to me that the state of Iowa is aready bending us over for alomst $700. What's another $300!!

I'm not rich (mom owns property) so my wife wouldn't be happy but if I had to get a second job I would.

Jnrbronc: If you read my post, I wrote that it doesn't interest me, but it may interest the rich person from say Georgia. I am not sure how I am missing the point. There has to be others like myself, that would not pay $1000 for a landowner tag. If 1/3 to 1/2 do not buy the tag, then I doubt they will sell out. I guess that is my point....I think they will sell less than 1000 of these tags, but I really do not know how many total NR landowners there are in Iowa??
I guess I was unclear whether you held land in Iowa or not. I take it you do and wouldn't pay $1K to hunt it? That's your call.

At first I was like no way in hell would I pay $1000 but after my brother pointed out to me that the state of Iowa is aready bending us over for alomst $700. What's another $300!!

What is making you pay the $700.00 each year to hunt here?
I am sure other places are cheaper.
Not trying to persuade you to hunt elsewhere but why is everyone paying this amount?

What is making you pay the $700.00 each year to hunt here?
I am sure other places are cheaper.
Not trying to persuade you to hunt elsewhere but why is everyone paying this amount?

No one is making me, it's my choice. I like to hunt where there are big bucks.
Every other state is cheaper than Iowa. I spend my money in Nebraska every year I don't draw IA.

I guess I was unclear whether you held land in Iowa or not. I take it you do and wouldn't pay $1K to hunt it? That's your call.

I do own a farm in Iowa and it is exactly 80 acres. So this would involve my farm, but I don't know, just not a fan at that price.

P & Y Bucks: Good point, but again the wife sees my checkbook and credit card statements, so it would be hard to stash that much cash in my secret hunting slush fund:D

No one is making me, it's my choice. I like to hunt where there are big bucks.
Every other state is cheaper than Iowa. I spend my money in Nebraska every year I don't draw IA.

Thanks for the honest answer.
There are other prestigious places that I do not hunt either that
I would like to because of the price. Other places I shell out the cash.
My choice my money.

I do not think they are bending me over backwards though just supply
and demand. If the demand goes down so does the price.

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
  • Deleted by N/A
Show…
Top Bottom