Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mid Contract CRP Maintenance

Thanks Sligh, great information and lots of it. So here is the scenario. Farm is in North MO and oddly, the allowable burn dates are something like now through March 15th (terrible!!). Field was drilled in spring 2013 or 2014 with Big and Little Blue and Switch. My goal is to allow to get the natives to flourish. Up to this point the natives are subdued in most areas assuming they are there.

Per the contract we can use herbicide from July 15th through Sept 15 and can spray the field all at once or do part of it this year and the balance next year. What would your game plan be if you wanted the natives to flourish under these parameters? While the FSA's suggestions of a suppression spray with gly is cost effective I'm looking for the best results.

Thanks

Thanks Sligh, great information and lots of it. So here is the scenario. Farm is in North MO and oddly, the allowable burn dates are something like now through March 15th (terrible!!). Field was drilled in spring 2013 or 2014 with Big and Little Blue and Switch. My goal is to allow to get the natives to flourish. Up to this point the natives are subdued in most areas assuming they are there.

Per the contract we can use herbicide from July 15th through Sept 15 and can spray the field all at once or do part of it this year and the balance next year. What would your game plan be if you wanted the natives to flourish under these parameters? While the FSA's suggestions of a suppression spray with gly is cost effective I'm looking for the best results.

Thanks
K- few things here. I won't advocate for breaking rules but I'd see if u can find way around spray dates. Those dates make zero sense other than just trying to make "whatever" volunteer weeds spring up. I would never do this and not suggesting this but I know "some guys" that spray when it makes sense and their fields are not inspected (not breaking rules) & they submit invoices at appropriate times.

What needs to happen and what u are allowed- u gonna have to figure that part out and if any way Around it. Sorry- government doesn't always know best ;).

So- if I understand right (and correct me if I'm wrong).... if we have B.B., LB, & switch and it's established but suppressed - this is EASY!!!! (If its sparse, we need to get into interseeding in addition!!!).....
Lots of options. Lots. Here's path i would take. & I may tweak it.....
If u could burn in spring- be nice. Say even April. Before natives green for sure. Now- if u timed it right as natives greening up- probably could walk away. If it's thick established natives that are simply surpressed.
Ideally- imo, I'd do fire and u have awesome combo for atrazine. I'd smash the weeds and regrowth of junk with heavy gly or ignite + ams / water conditioner. + 4 qts atrazine or legal limit in ur area (2.2). I'd also add 2,4-d. That's a HOT mix. Nuclear. It will work. If possible- I'd also add 2-4 oz of plateau. Could do more on ESTABLISHED.
**on established, atrazine or plateau is fine. On seed.... atrazine is friendly to: switch & Blue. Plateau is friendly to: blue, Indian.

If it was ME and u said "my natives are sparse".... I would uniquely do this...... this is subjective opinion. I would drill in Indian & BB and I'd hit the whole place with heavy gly or ignite, ams & 12 oz of plateau. Could burn before or could possibly skip it. Plateau is longer lasting than atrazine or better coverage and covers a far wider weed spectrum. It's amazing.
If u had to go more on switch.... u have to burn. U need little or no residue on top. Atrazine must have soil contact. Seed more switch. U wanna have clean as possible. Heavy atrazine, high gallons/acre on spray & depending on timing, id sure like something to aid with foxtail.... 2-3 oz of plateau or even light s-metolachlor. Not friendly on switch but it will likely be gone in time. And not hurt switch to add that in reality.

Million ways to deal with all this. More issues in future: million solution (say mid summer u have broadlaves: 2,4-d for example).

There's a start. Million ways to skin a cat.

I'll just say that I too "know some guys" that bend the rules a little to match up with what really makes sense and will actually achieve the desired result. Often, CRP contract rules are based on a lack of understanding of what really works. So I, I mean I know some guys, that will adjust a little to get the right outcome. Skips' advice above is very good IMO.

Ok, I think my game plan is coming together. Does Plateau need to have soil contact? Can it be sprayed in the same tank with gly? I like Sligh's plan that doesn't require burning minus drilling more WSG. I don't think I'll be able to get anyone to do it. Jesse Knox did my initial planting but he doesn't venture down my way anymore. I assume hitting it with gly/plateau would be best in the spring before the natives start up? Thanks

Ok, I think my game plan is coming together. Does Plateau need to have soil contact? Can it be sprayed in the same tank with gly? I like Sligh's plan that doesn't require burning minus drilling more WSG. I don't think I'll be able to get anyone to do it. Jesse Knox did my initial planting but he doesn't venture down my way anymore. I assume hitting it with gly/plateau would be best in the spring before the natives start up? Thanks

Like I said- million ways to do this. So- side note- sorry - my typing is an ADHD brain shown on display ;).
Yes- u can mix plateau and Gly or several other options
If u are only going to spray & I understand right- BB, LB & switch & its established - u also could run atrazine in there or do atrazine with lighter plateau rates. Either way- Will work.

Plateau does not have draw back of getting to soil like atrazine does. So- in simple terms- it can tolerate trash on too FAR better. Atrazine is very thick and sticky - it latches onto residue and greatly hurts its effectiveness when trash present. Some still makes it to soil - why I recommend high Gallons per acre when using atrazine- more flow to soil.

Plenty of ways to mix this whole Plan up but yes- pre and post before greened up natives & if applied at proper rates - it will clean up your non-desireable weeds big time. Posts will clean up garbage growing and correct pre's will keep out the flurry of annual weeds for the most part.

Sligh, I really appreciate your help. It will be a 2 part plan: Part 1 takes care of my CRP requirements, Part 2 will be to get the natives going. I talked to the local coop yesterday and they balked on spraying Plateau next spring due to liablilty, blah blah, so I'll be taking care of that portion of the plan on my own. Thanks again.

"Liability"? That's the first I heard of that! I spray my own but I know a lot of folks who have coop spray it. I'm sure they have some reason but I sure can't think of what it is?!? Glad u got some options. Good luck!

Top Bottom