Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MIDWEST WHITETAIL: FOOD PLOT EPISODE

Yark

we know that even though deer season is over, there is still many things that will help you out when fall comes. since we're going to produce a few shows during the off-season, we figured we'd ask what you guys would like to see? we'll do our best to answer your questions in the show and give you an informative and education episode to help you in the deer woods.

Thank you for your time,
Drew Yarkosky
Midwest Whitetail editor/producer

Another thought that popped into my head. Frost seeding.

I know frost seeding to many is just a theory. Many on this board use it with great results.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know frost seeding to many is just a theory. Many on this board use it with great results. </div></div>

Frost seeding might sound tricky, but it really isn't, not if I can do it! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif The key on this subject though is the preparation ahead of time, ie, bare ground, killing sod where applicable, etc. I think episodes on food plotting would be well received though.

I would recommend asking Paul(Dbltree) to be a guest star, he has been a constant source of information on this subject for at least a few years now on IW.

thanks for the reply guys. i think that would make a really REALLY interesting show for sure.

What about a 4 part "Habitat Improvement Series".

1. Habitat management overview (evaluating land, discusss the various projects, setting goals, planning)
2. Food Plots
3. Enhancing existing cover (TSI, edge feathering, hinge cutting, burning, etc.)
4. Creating new cover (tree/shrub planting, planting NWSG)

Obviously, you might not be doing all of these things, just some thoughts.

It's cool to read about (better to see) specific things that others are doing to better their hunting land.

I like single coyotes' idea. It would be great to have some perspective as to why you are improving a certain area... i.e. I'm edge feathering this area to funnel deer near a pre-selected tree. Showing the big picture on aerial photo's would be really nice compared to just showing a bunch of hinge cutting or what have you.

I'd second Dbltree as a guest, Daver beat me to it. Could be a whole episode on what "not" to do as well, Bonker?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pharmer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'd second Dbltree as a guest, Daver beat me to it. Could be a whole episode on what "not" to do as well, Bonker? </div></div>

I'm sure Rudd could help in this area also. He is an authority on what not to do! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/whistle.gif

Equipment safety demonstrations? Get a bunch of different equipment makers to bring equipment out for side by side demos- everything for ATVs, tractors, chainsaws, etc.

Make sure you are wearing your Class 2 or Class 3 safety vests, as well as OSHA approved eye and ear protection as well as all other applicable P.P.E. if you are demonstrating equipment operation....

Sorry, spent 6 hours today in "Work Zone Safety" Boooooooring.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Make sure you are wearing your Class 2 or Class 3 safety vests, as well as OSHA approved eye and ear protection as well as all other applicable P.P.E. if you are demonstrating equipment operation....

Sorry, spent 6 hours today in "Work Zone Safety" Boooooooring..... </div></div>

I agree...Seth, even though it's boring...the topic of safety keeps a lot of people employed (i.e. ME /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif) You'd be surprised at how many fliers, posters, even short videos the university puts out in articles and "what-nots" where they show a researcher not wearing all their PPE...kind of makes me cringe because that opens it up for other universities to rack you across the fire. Even though I'm in the department of Environmental Health and Safety, any other department doing wrong reflects negatively on our department. Kind of funny how it all works out.

I like the aerials idea with the bigger picture in mind. I would also suggest that you take a full year to allow for the combination of the before and after to work together in the same episode or in follow up episodes. You wouldn't want to keep your audience waiting for x-amount of months.

Top Bottom