Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Milk Weed

Those of you that are using milk weed silk as a wind detector: Are you taking the seed off the silk before using it or leaving it on? If you are taking it off, what is the best way you have found to take it off the silk? Thanks.

I put it in a sandwich sized plastic bag, with the seeds still on. It then dries on its' own over time and the seeds fall off, inside the bag. Then every so often I dump the loose seeds out somewhere where I would like to some milkweed plants growing. Profit!! :)

I put the whole thing into a large pill bottle then drill a hole and let the bit wind up the silk. When i pull the bit out it does a nice job of giving me some to grab. Winding it ties e verything together and always comes out

I used it last year. Just put it in a tiny zip bag I had in the truck. Left the seeds on. Think I just held the top of the bag when pulling the silk out and pulled the seed off so it stayed in the bag. I haven't used it yet this year. Good idea to take the seeds off if you don't want it in the area you are hunting.

I love using milkweed. I take the seed off to make it light as possible. It's amazing you you can pick up the swirl and up drafts, etc with it.

Another thing to use is the white cotton a Cottonwood tree dumps all over the place. The cotton is very light and has no seeds. My kids always thought this could be their fortune to package it up and sell it. I take a plastic chew can and drill a hole in the lid then just pull it out and let it fly. One can full normally lasts a hole season.
IMG_0479.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom