Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Milo

Are there advantages to planting a MILO/ Millet crop before a CIR planting ?

Ideally RR soybeans are best as you end up with a clean, bare surface but corn or milo can work, especially if atrazine is used to control weeds.

You would probably need to shred the stalks before frost seeding switchgrass seed but it certainly could work...

Try this NWTF Super Sorghum Mix

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center width="100%" align=left>Super Sorghum Food Plot Mix
Supplied by: Project HELP

<SMALL>
mailicon.gif
E-mail this product to a friend</SMALL>

</TD><TD vAlign=center align=right><NOBR> </NOBR></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

The mix is a diverse assortment of sorghums and millet designed specifically to provide a high energy food supply through an extended period and resist damage by deer. Normally planted a couple weeks later than corn and adapted to a variety of soil types.
Forage sorghum, medium maturity 8 - 9 foot tall, red grain 25%
Forage sorghum, late maturity 11 - 12 foot tall, white grain 10%
Forage sorghum, medium early, short variety 3 - 4.5 foot tall, white grain 25%
Foxtail millet, medium late maturity, 2 - 2.5 foot tall, light tan grain 10%
Hybrid grain sorghum, 58 day to mid bloom, 3 foot tall, cream grain 15%
Hybrid grain sorghum, 52 day to mid bloom, 3 foot tall, red grain 15%
This is a 15 pound unit which can plant up to 2 acres, depending on whether drilled or broadcast.
Please allow 2 to 3 weeks for delivery. This is a drop-shipped item shipped directly from vendor. Shipping cannot be expedited.

This is roundup ready also!

Price Includes Shipping!

In stock

$45.00

when did u notice the deer starting to eat on it?

FWIW, I planted a couple of 1'ish acre blocks of milo this year and I can't honestly say what ate all the seed up. Both milo patches were hubs of wildlife activity this past fall, with quail, pheasants, deer and turkey, to say nothing about countless "tweety-birds", seen in them many, many times.

I know I had good heads showing still into November on both plots and into mid-December on the one that was further from prime deer/turkey cover. When I last inspected the heads(seeds) about 1-1/2 weeks ago, it looked like they were 95%+ gone at this time. Deer will eat it, but they don't annihilate early like they would a small plot or corn or beans. I don't think the deer were in it too much until November or so.

I would say that deer will use it in the November through January time frame the most, before that is too early for them, after that the seeds are pretty much gone.

Covey Rise Mix and Blizzard Buster Mix

are 2 we plant for birds but

WGF (Wild Game Food) Milo from Welter Seed works better for deer

Thanks Paul! And when I say that "I planted milo" on my place this past year, I really should say that Dbltree Habitat(Jesse) planted milo on my place. :D

It looks like from your links that a 25 pound bag plants 4-5 acres, which is impressive. It so happens that I am going to a PF dinner tomorrow night and I assume that there may be some of these products there for sale or available via auction.

If so, is there anyone interested in splitting a bag of each of these products with me? I can see planting 2'ish acres of each this coming year, which would be right at 1/2 of a bag of each.

when did u notice the deer starting to eat on it?

The deer primarily used the milo for bedding cover and fed on the corn and some clover and chicory planted on the edges. A TON of song birds and a group of about 15-20 pheasants demolished the milo seeds. I had never seen that much diverse wildlife in that area until that was planted.

FWIW, I planted a couple of 1'ish acre blocks of milo this year and I can't honestly say what ate all the seed up. Both milo patches were hubs of wildlife activity this past fall, with quail, pheasants, deer and turkey, to say nothing about countless "tweety-birds", seen in them many, many times.

I know I had good heads showing still into November on both plots and into mid-December on the one that was further from prime deer/turkey cover. When I last inspected the heads(seeds) about 1-1/2 weeks ago, it looked like they were 95%+ gone at this time. Deer will eat it, but they don't annihilate early like they would a small plot or corn or beans. I don't think the deer were in it too much until November or so.

I would say that deer will use it in the November through January time frame the most, before that is too early for them, after that the seeds are pretty much gone.

The absolute best food plot COMBO for deer and pheasants in my opinion is milo and sorghum.

Especially if the farm is near CRP or more open country. It really attracts deer, more than I thought.

White milo is sweet and will be devoured by birds early on , red milo has a high tannin content and bitter taste until frost sweetens it. WGF sorghum is red and that's why we prefer it for deer.

Top Bottom