Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Milo

pheasants forever sent me the mix for the winter survival mix, id love to do the mix on my own, but getting a bag of corn is expensive, do these guys use cheap corn seed or something?

<TABLE style="WIDTH: 104.55pt; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; MARGIN-LEFT: 0.65pt" border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=174><TBODY><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=25><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccff66; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 56.55pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1.5pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=bottom width=94 noWrap>[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Buckwheat[/FONT][/FONT]
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 48pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-TOP: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=bottom width=80 noWrap>
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]14%[/FONT][/FONT]​
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=25><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccff66; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 56.55pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1.5pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=bottom width=94 noWrap>[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Corn[/FONT][/FONT]
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 48pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=bottom width=80 noWrap>
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]44%[/FONT][/FONT]​
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=25><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccff66; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 56.55pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1.5pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=bottom width=94 noWrap>[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Sorghum[/FONT][/FONT]
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: yellow; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 48pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-LEFT-STYLE: none; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=bottom width=80 noWrap>
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]26%[/FONT][/FONT]​
</TD></TR><TR style="HEIGHT: 15pt" height=25><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; BORDER-LEFT: windowtext 1pt solid; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ccff66; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 56.55pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP-STYLE: none; HEIGHT: 15pt; BORDER-RIGHT: windowtext 1.5pt solid; PADDING-TOP: 0px" vAlign=bottom width=94 noWrap>[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]Sunflower [/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Calibri,sans-serif][FONT=Arial,sans-serif]16%[/FONT][/FONT]​
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

pheasants forever sent me the mix for the winter survival mix, id love to do the mix on my own, but getting a bag of corn is expensive, do these guys use cheap corn seed or something?

Jerred - you can often get free seed corn from organizations like NWTF or PF, however, the REAL expense in corn planting comes in fertilizing it properly and I have yet to find a source for free nitrogen. :D

Go to your local pioneer seed dealer.. After they are done planting their test plots, they either have to throw the extra seed away or give away for wildlife food plots. It's RR. They gave me enough to fill up two big rubber maid tubs last spring.

if someone can help me out, if I was to order some milo from welters, which kinds would I want? Im looking for some deer activity but mostly quail and turkey usage, to get them thru the winter

I see in Welters catalog description it refers to the WGF Milo as a "shorter" variety. Any hints on approximately how tall it will get?

NWBuck

I have no issues with round-up and atrazine for EW. EW is a fast growing plant so even if you get a few weeds in there, it blows past them as long as you have a good weed control level from the atrazine. Just seed it right (rates, fertilizer, working soil properly), have a clean seed bed for atrazine to hit soil, put down enough atrazine and you can walk away.

It's been over 5 years since this thread first started. Any new recommendations for herbicides?

No, atrazine pre-emerge
2-4D post-emerge

Dual II Magnum if seed is Concep treated

If anyone is aware of something else please share

FWIW, I prefer some weeds in my milo, so I deliberately do not spray anything to control them. Prior to planting milo, I will kill whatever vegetation is present with gly, but after that I leave it be.

Last year I had a fair amount of foxtail in my milo and I liked it that way. When all of the milo seed heads were gone, I still had birds/game in my milo patches all winter long. The foxtail that was present left a lot of close to the ground cover to go along with the sturdy, upright milo stalks.

While a farmer may legitimately want a clean field, a person more interested in wildlife habitat may be very happy with some weeds too.

Never really considered letting the foxtail grow. I'll have plenty if I do, but I like your reasoning. Thanks!

FWIW, I prefer some weeds in my milo, so I deliberately do not spray anything to control them. Prior to planting milo, I will kill whatever vegetation is present with gly, but after that I leave it be.

Last year I had a fair amount of foxtail in my milo and I liked it that way. When all of the milo seed heads were gone, I still had birds/game in my milo patches all winter long. The foxtail that was present left a lot of close to the ground cover to go along with the sturdy, upright milo stalks.

While a farmer may legitimately want a clean field, a person more interested in wildlife habitat may be very happy with some weeds too.

I have a bag of WGF milo that is about 4 years old. Is this still good? Or do I need to do a germination test?
Thanks.

Always been an added benefit to my property. Turkey would pile into my bean plot last year that was full of foxtail and other weeds. Never saw any head out to the main field that was ag beans and free of weeds for the most part.

Always been an added benefit to my property. Turkey would pile into my bean plot last year that was full of foxtail and other weeds. Never saw any head out to the main field that was ag beans and free of weeds for the most part.

My easiest "food plot" ever was just to let a three acre spot grow wild last year. I had all sorts and kinds of weeds in it and the pheasant and quail were in it all year long. Last year, it was not purposeful, with the various weather limiters and time factors, I just didn't get it planted.

This year, I will deliberately leave a 2-3 acre area as bare dirt and see what grows.

Top Bottom