Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral Licks

Ghost

Life Member
Recently, while shed hunting and coyote hunting I have seen some mineral sites starting to get hit hard by the deer.

Here is some information on mineral sites if you are interested.

They make a great spot to monitor deer and their antler development with your cams as Summer progresses.

I realize it may seem a bit early to some of you, but I have noticed mineral sites get their highest usage in the Spring time months. Mine are finished.

WHITETAIL DEER HOMEMADE MINERAL MIX RECIPE

Ingredients: Makes 250 lbs

1 part Di-calcium phosphate, this is a dairy feed additive bought at feed stores.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need one bag.

2 parts Trace mineral salt, the red and loose kind without the medications.
Look for the highest amounts of calcium and phosphorus on the label.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need two bags.

2 parts Stock salt, ice cream salt.
Comes in 50lb Bags, you need two bags.

(I like to add a bag of Sweet Mag as well!

Directions:

-Use a 3 pound or similar size coffee can to use as your measure for each part of the mix.

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

-Dig or tear up a circle in the soil about 36 inches wide and about 6 inches deep.

-Mix your mineral mixture with the soil.

And lastly, here is a good article for those of you that are really crazy about QDM.
Mineral Supplementation

Last edited by a moderator:
We also use our mineral licks for trail camera sights. The does start hitting our licks first in Jan., bucks seem to use the licks more after they have shed. I'm sure the demand for additional minerals increases in the does as their fetuses begin to develop and bucks have more of a need as they start to grow antlers back.

The mix we use is ...

50 lbs. di-calcium phosphate
50 lbs. trace mineral salt
50 lbs. stock salt
50 lbs. Green Fescue Mineral (a dairy cattle supplement with Di-Cal and other trace minerals)

I've had mine out for awhile now and they have such big holes they are full of water!

I've been putting fresh mix out next to the "hole" although once it dries out...they'll just keep "diggin" /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Here's a link to some previous discussion on Trace Minerals and the "concoction" I use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

-Mix all together well but not until read to use, keep ingredients separate until ready to put to use.

</div></div>
Why is this recommended? I mixed 200# of the stuff last spring and plan to put the rest out this spring.

So what are the laws on this? I know you can't hunt over them, do they have to be a certain distance away from your stand or what?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what are the laws on this? I know you can't hunt over them, do they have to be a certain distance away from your stand or what? </div></div>
It is up to the CO's discretion. What does that mean? He will decide how much of an advantage your hunting spot has due to the presence of a mineral lick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So what are the laws on this? I know you can't hunt over them, do they have to be a certain distance away from your stand or what? </div></div>
It is up to the CO's discretion. What does that mean? He will decide how much of an advantage your hunting spot has due to the presence of a mineral lick. </div></div>

That's pretty much what our CO told me. He mentioned "200 yards" which is just something he was ok with.

I quit putting any kind of mineral or feed out months before season and don't start again until season is over...then I don't have to worry about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That's pretty much what our CO told me. He mentioned "200 yards" which is just something he was ok with.

I quit putting any kind of mineral or feed out months before season and don't start again until season is over...then I don't have to worry about it. </div></div>

Good idea. I just spoke with the DNR about this the other day and was told that any type of feeder/block/lick/whatever is to be removed from your hunting area at least 30 days prior to season. The topic of proximity to stand location does seem to be a gray area but I don't test my luck. Also, even if granular substances are used instead of blocks, the presence of a "wallow" counts as an active lick!! He stated to me that if foul play is suspected, they will do soil tests and the high presence of salt/minerals may result in a violation. I'm just passing on what I was told and for that reason, I'm placing my in-ground licks a long way from my stand locations. My philosophy is to use those areas as a potential means of supplemental nutrient intake and an off season pic taking honey hole anyway as opposed to attracting deer for the purpose of hunting them in those locations.

Anyone set the spot up to make pics turn out better? I am planning to start a couple new spots and was thinking about distance to tree/camera, as well as using brush or limbs to turn them so they are facing toward camera. Any thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone set the spot up to make pics turn out better? I am planning to start a couple new spots and was thinking about distance to tree/camera, as well as using brush or limbs to turn them so they are facing toward camera. Any thoughts? </div></div>

It's pretty easy to do since your just pouring it on the ground.

Pick a spot that will work for your cam (15-20 ft maybe?) located against a small brush pile or a log that will force deer to face your camera.

Just a bit of advice on the mineral mixes...

I wouldn't mix salt...and trace mineral salt. It won't hurt anything except that it dilutes the trace minerals.

Trace mineral salt is just that...90-95% salt with TM's added, if you double up with more pure salt...your just diluting it to traces of traces... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Another thing to remember is that calcium is already present in forages. I used to mix daily rations for a 130 dairy cows which consisted of alfalfa haylage, high moisture ground corn and soybean meal.

We sent in samples of these feed sources to determine available TDN and CP and % of available minerals.

We then mixed di-cal and trace minerals acordingly...you might be surprised to know how little is required with good forage...something our deer are blessed with /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

All they really want is salt of course...so did the cows, which is why we mixed the minerals and fed salt free choice.

In most all cases in the cattle business you will find that mixes are trace mineral salt and minerals with di-cal most commonly used.

Here's a few links if your interested in understanding minerals and what forages contain what.

Mineral Supplements

Mineral Nutrition

Mineral Supplements for Beef Production

Trace mineral datasheet

Granular Sheep Mineral

I was told by the ice cream shop owner that the stock salt is simply ROAD salt that you can buy at any store. am i correct on that one?

I decided to try this recipe this weekend and was surprised how inexpensive everything cost. $35.00 at Theisen's for everything including the sweet mag.
I know it depends on the deer population, but how long are you finding it takes the deer to clear it out? and how often do you fill it up?

I used this mix last June and they started hitting it hard right away.

Haven't added a thing and they are pounding the heck out of it now.
waytogo.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I decided to try this recipe this weekend and was surprised how inexpensive everything cost. $35.00 at Theisen's for everything including the sweet mag.
I know it depends on the deer population, but how long are you finding it takes the deer to clear it out? and how often do you fill it up? </div></div>

I think how long it lasts depends on deer density. Mine sometimes only lasts weeks, although they will keep eating the soil.

Using a camera over it I just take in a pail every few weeks and add to it.

They suck it down pretty fast right now.

Salt is salt btw...no matter what kind of package it comes in.

Someone asked recently about "digging" a hole for mineral lick, something that I also used to do.

Nothing wrong with it but lately I just dump it on top of the ground and as these pics show they will hit it almost overnight.

I dumped this bag of TM salt in the morning...

DumpinTMSalt.jpg

Interesting watching the pics that night as deer started to walk by..

ThatNite.jpg

but it didn't take long for one to smell the salt...

Whatsthat.jpg

and dig in

Yumm.jpg

Stillchowin.jpg

and they kept at it

MoreSalt.jpg

Backformore.jpg

until there was nothing left

MineralLick-1.jpg

They really suck the salt and mineral mixes down this time of year so remember to get some out there! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

I'd like to pose a ? to the mineral site experts. I set one up last yr, awesome results, lots of pictures every day of many critters, deer, moose, bear etc.. Anyways, I have a stretch of timber that borders a river that I want to set some up in. The timber and river run North/South for approximately 3 1/2 miles (where I have permission anyways) It is bordered to the west by alfalfa for the whole way. The timber is not real wide, from 100 yards in places to a mile in others. I was thinking of setting up some licks all along that run of timber for inventory photos. Those of you who are experienced in mineral licks, how may would you deem necessary in a stretch that long?

Depends alot on how many cameras you want to run. If the plan is to primarily take pics, than setting up too many more than you can run cameras over may be a waste of time. Given the lay of the land, I'd probably go with at least one per half mile, if not more, depending on the width of the timber. If you have 5 cameras, I'd go with ten sites and rotate the cameras weekly. To get an acurate census of the herd, you would want to have 1 camera site per 80 acres of cover. This may seem like a lot, but it would give yo an acurate count of the deer that live there. Many deer, bucks in particular, have relatively small home ranges for most of the year, so a higher density of sites is needed to get them on camera.

you may think this is crazy, a friend and myself are hunting 80 acres in southern ia, we have 4 trail cams & i dont think that is enough. we had over 1000 images(2 weeks) between all 4, about 250 were false, but nice pics . we hung 1 5 gallon feeder that feeds 1 lb per set,timed to go off early morn, late afternoon, we filled this one with sun flower seeds. turkeys love them. are other tripod stand we filled with antler king deer protein pellets with a mineral block close by, close to a creek. pics unbeleivable. march 24th, had 3 bucks still holding racks, and really starting to tear into the mineral blocks.this is the time to start placing blocks around as they need the salt and minerals now. i like the mixture in the above for 35.00, have to try that, sounds affordable enough.

I have a question w/ an additive to these mineral sites. i seen that whitetail institute uses a protein additive to there mineral mix.

What could this be and where could I get some to add?

i want o try to get as much protein out to these deer as posssible.

Top Bottom