Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral Recipe (Much better than Dical and Mineralized Salt)

I have been tweaking variations of this for several years, but finally settled on a recipe. I have sites set up in every place I hunt, I freshen these up in mid to late March, and then again in mid June. The Mix that I use is:

1-50 lb bag of NutreBeef(r) Mineral (A good all around mineral)
1-50 lb bag of Cargill Right Now(r) Emerald Mineral (A good spring mineral)
1-50 lb bag of Stock Salt
2-1 lb boxes of Baking Soda
2-2lb bags of Powder Sugar
1 container of Pre-Sweetened Grape Koolaid

I used the 2 separate free choice minerals for specific reasons, the NutreBeef Mineral, because it is an excellent all around mineral, that is very low in salt (max 20%), so you get more needed minerals per 50# bag that the deer can utilize. It also has dry molasses in it so it helps with palatability since most pure minerals tend to be bitter. The Cargill Emerald mineral is also a low salt mineral, but is a great spring mineral, that helps the deer in early spring to overcome their magnesium deficiency, the same as cattle before they are put on pasture in the spring. Both minerals have a good Calcium to Phosphorus ratio close to 2:1.

The reason for the baking soda, is, it acts as a rumen buffer, keeping the pH of their digestive tract in check, basically keeping stomach aches away. The plain stock salt is for spring and summer, as the deer will naturally go through a sodium deficiency because the moisture and potassium content of the lush green vegetation they eat, interferes with efficient sodium conversion in the body and increases the need for sodium. The sugar and koolaid is just for the initial wow factor, to help the deer locate the site, and is gone relatively quickly.

As with any other homemade mix, mix contents well. Depending on how much you put out, this recipe should make between 6-8 Mineral sites. Dig a hole and mix with soil, or put on an old stump, and they will tear it up.

The minerals I usually get at Tractor Supply or the local feed store. These are the minerals that I have tested and found to really work best for me. The important thing here is to have both a high quality free choice general mineral, and a high quality free choice spring mineral, both low salt, and with a Calcium:phosphorus ratio as close to 2:1 as possible.

All the other supply's can be gotten at the local grocery.

Last edited:
I like that mix and think I will try it. I have added some orange jello to mine just to get them to find it and then added a trophy rock to the hole.

I like that mix and think I will try it. I have added some orange jello to mine just to get them to find it and then added a trophy rock to the hole.

Sounds good, keep us posted. The koolaid and sugar does a good job of helping them locate it, but isn't really needed for a well established lick.

I usually use just bags of stock salt and red mineral salt ,but would love to draw in more deer.
Do you notice an increase in any rodents and varmints visiting now with the sugar and koolaid ?

I usually use just bags of stock salt and red mineral salt ,but would love to draw in more deer.
Do you notice an increase in any rodents and varmints visiting now with the sugar and koolaid ?

With just plain stock salt & trace mineral salt, you end up with a product that is between 96% and 99% salt, and has only the bare essential of trace minerals in it, and no source of calcium.

The recipe that I posted involved free choice minerals, which being low in salt allow more useable vitamins and minerals on top of the trace minerals that the deer can utilize.

As far as rodents showing up, I've seen no increase at all. I will get occasional pics of raccoons, opossums, coyotes, and bobcats, but I would say 95% or more of my pics are deer only.

With just plain stock salt & trace mineral salt, you end up with a product that is between 96% and 99% salt, and has only the bare essential of trace minerals in it, and no source of calcium.

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but is there any solid evidence that your deer are calcium deficient or that feeding more calcium stimulates bigger antlers? Looking for good scientific evidence, not the recommendation of someone who is making a living selling high price supplements by claiming that deer need more calcium so they can grow bigger antlers? One need only look at the GAZILLIONS of dollars that people make selling horse supplements, when scientific studies show over & over that they are of virtually no benefit. NONE! Nobody polices their BS claims and good advertising trumps science nearly every time. For me, I'll stick with red salt to get pictures and the deer will just have to get their calcium from the rest of their diet which is more than adequate at least around here. :way:

Buckman,

Add some Di Cal phosphate and you are in the game. Only thing that you will need. :way:

Not trying to be a smart a$$, but is there any solid evidence that your deer are calcium deficient or that feeding more calcium stimulates bigger antlers? Looking for good scientific evidence, not the recommendation of someone who is making a living selling high price supplements by claiming that deer need more calcium so they can grow bigger antlers? One need only look at the GAZILLIONS of dollars that people make selling horse supplements, when scientific studies show over & over that they are of virtually no benefit. NONE! Nobody polices their BS claims and good advertising trumps science nearly every time. For me, I'll stick with red salt to get pictures and the deer will just have to get their calcium from the rest of their diet which is more than adequate at least around here. :way:

Their have been no specific studies done relating a direct effect of mineral or calicum on antler development, but, also I have not stated anything about minerals directly improving antler growth (or any studies that were done on this specific subject). The intended purpose of mineral supplement is to increase the general well being/health of the animal as a whole. With that being said, a direct result of a overall healthier animal, is its ability to reach its full potential, whether it be antler growth for bucks or maximum fawn bearing/rearing ability for does. It is well known that antler growth in bucks as well as fetal development in does, have the potential to cause major stress on the skeletal system of a whitetail deer. One of your largest factors pertaining to mineral intake in a deer's natural diet would be the soil type of the area in which they reside.

I am definitely not someone pushing minerals to make a living. I am just a wildlife biologist passing on good information to try and help out.

Last edited:
Slickyboyboo thanks for the recipe. It looks very similar to one recommended here in years past. di cal(with out meds), trace mineral and salt. I, like Horsedoc, have simply use some salt for trail camera inventory and allowed the fertile landscape of Iowa to provide the rest. Your post makes sense to me and for the small investment sure can't hurt.

I too have used di-cal etc. in the past but am becoming more & more skeptical of a lot of things such as "supplements" as I get older :confused:. It's probably the result of hopping on & off the latest "bandwagon" whenever something new came along (both in work & recreation). I now try to look for evidence before getting too excited about anything (likely the result of spraining my knees from hopping back off so many bandwagons in the past). :rolleyes: With the multitude of groceries our Iowa deer have to eat pretty much all year long, I find it hard to believe they are deficient in much of anything. I'm certainly not accusing anyone here of pushing a product for their own gain (though there are plenty in the world that do). I just questioned if there was any proof that wild deer actually do better if supplemented with calcium. I don't think they need much salt either but it does put them in front of the camera. ;) Plus, if I remember right (& I might not) I thought some of Doubletree's work showed that salt was as attractive as some of the fancier mixes. Salt is cheap so I think I'll save my $$$ for happy hour. :drink2::drink1::drink2::drink1:

Buckman,

Add some Di Cal phosphate and you are in the game. Only thing that you will need. :way:

Did a few years ago ,just a tad bit expensive. Could be the change Ive seen on buck numbers on regular sats. might just have to introduce again.

Top Bottom