Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mineral Site ?

bradley

triplebeam
Any one ever raked out & planted over a mineral site in order to make it inactive.I have a new place to hunt that has a old mineral site I would say a couple years old is there any certain kind of vegetation you can plant that will withstand the salt or will there be any issues getting grass to grow in this spot?

Any one ever raked out & planted over a mineral site in order to make it inactive.I have a new place to hunt that has a old mineral site I would say a couple years old is there any certain kind of vegetation you can plant that will withstand the salt or will there be any issues getting grass to grow in this spot?

You could get something to grow but your problem will be the deer killing the veg if they're still using it.

I thought about planting something now and putting a barrier around it til hunting season I thought that will keep them out til season & once season starts they usually don't use the site anymore.

In my experience, the salt will not allow anything to grow. Also, like mentioned, the deer will keep using the site thus not allowing plant growth should you actually get something started to grow in that location.
You might try to top over it with fresh soil and then try to plant, but if it isn't thick enough, the deer may still dig to get to the salt. If you find something that works, please share as I have a similar issue. I've just been lazy to try to fix it yet. Adding dirt is my plan.

You will still be in violation if you don't dig out the dirt and replace it with new dirt. I dig them out with my loader, replace the dirt, then seed it with clover and winter rye.

Not worth the risk. Do the hard work and dig it out or see if you can get someone with a loader to do it

how far down do you have to dig?I don't have access to a loader?I will probably have to use a wheel barrow & a shovel.

Last edited:
how far down do you have to dig?I don't have access to a loader?I will probably have to use a wheel barrow & a shovel.
Im not sure if there is a regulation on how far down you must go. Maybe contact some dnr officers and ask them. If you can it might be easier to buy a tiller and till the ground to make the shoveling easier

Won't work for planting purposes but you can also cover your mineral sites to be legal correct?

I was on a farm once where they laid 2" styrene insulation sheets over the mineral sites to block them. If I recall correctly, this was OK'd by the local CO. But seeing as how there are multiple interpretations by CO's, I would check first with the CO in your area.

My CO told me that as long as its covered and the deer cant get to it I was good. Some old galvanized metal with stakes to hold it down works pretty good for me.

With the mineral site ban, how do the TV guys use the Trophy Rocks? Is the mineral ban just certain counties, or is it State Wide? I'm a MO guy, and was just curious.

With the mineral site ban, how do the TV guys use the Trophy Rocks? Is the mineral ban just certain counties, or is it State Wide? I'm a MO guy, and was just curious.
State wide but we only have a law against baiting and the law is pretty vague about what is considered baiting the deer. Most of the tv guys just dont hunt right off the mineral site

Top Bottom