Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Miscanthus Update (Updated Picts)

Central Iowa

Life Member
Here are some pictures showing how the Miscanthus is doing so far. We planted the rhizomes on April 16 and we have an average of 6 inches of growth on most in one month. Here is the definition of a rhizome (they are a under ground stem: a thick underground horizontal stem that produces roots and has shoots that develop into new plants.) The first picture shows what they look like.
RhizomeCloseup.JPG

I planted the rhizomes 3 foot apart and 2-3” deep. Hopefully this should form a nice wall that could be as tall as 12 foot and add a secure feeling to the plot as well as screening for access to and from stands.
MiscanthusLayOut.JPG

Rhizome.JPG

MiscanthusMay17.JPG

2008May17.JPG

Stay tuned for future updates. It appears now the biggest hurdle will be winter survival as the first winter is supposed to be the hardest.

Re: Miscanthus Update

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stay tuned for future updates. It appears now the biggest hurdle will be winter survival as the first winter is supposed to be the hardest. </div></div>

Very interesting stuff Travis! I'm really curious as heck about this stuff but...can't we give it a name I can actually pronounce?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Keep us posted! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Current prices look to be at 6-9 dollars each with volume discount up to 25% for large orders.

And your planting this for bedding/cover?

After looking around for it from google, looks like it would be a great screening plant for a plot from the roads.

Dean

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dbltree</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

...can't we give it a name I can actually pronounce?? /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/crazy.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

</div></div>

We could call it really tall crap the round up probably won't kill /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

When I see the word Rhizome I think of wirestem muhly. That's a grassy plant that was running rampant in crop fields before R'up came along. It took a few years of repeated R'up to control it. I hope this stuff doesn't get away.

Yes we we wondered about that as well before we decided to get it. It is sterile and non invasive. Stands have been producing in Illinois for 18 plus years. We corresponded with researchers from two midwest colleges before we decided to try it.

Quote from the University of Illinois Website<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> At a research station near Hornum, Denmark, giant Miscanthus has been grown for 22 years in Europe’s longest-running experimental field. The crop has never been invasive and rhizome spread has been no more than 1.5 meters (4.92 feet), said Uffe Jorgensen, senior scientist for the Danish Institute of Agricultural Sciences.</div></div>

Anybody interested in playing with a small amount of this stuff can look at item #130226896367 on Ebay. I ordered 6 pairs at $4.25 a pair. They sent more than 12 pairs. Some are not as big as Central Iowa's but they are starting to sprout off the rhizome alittle. Several were good size. Anyway planted today and we'll see. Needed a screen for my shed from the paintball gunners.

That sounds like an amazing price.
QUESTION- I have areas that flood a couple times a year, CIR switchgrass is great in that area. BUT there's some areas along the road I would like the Miscanthus, does anyone know if it would hold up like CIR does on wet ground? THANKS!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sligh1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That sounds like an amazing price.
QUESTION- I have areas that flood a couple times a year, CIR switchgrass is great in that area. BUT there's some areas along the road I would like the Miscanthus, does anyone know if it would hold up like CIR does on wet ground? THANKS! </div></div>

What I know about this stuff wouldn't fill the head of a pin /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/blush.gif

but...I suspect it would thrive on your place!

I did find this from a nursery in England however:

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mammoth Miscanthus
Miscanthus x giganteus
This magnificent screening plant, similar to Bamboo in appearance, forms a thick impenetrable barrier and an excellent wind break that due to the flexibility of its growth actually filters or breaks up the wind unlike rigid physical barriers.

Within 15 months can be 15ft in height!

Rich green Summer foliage is topped by beautiful arching sprays of silky russet pink flowers like a fine pampas grass - have no worry though, these won't seed themselves all over the place! Neither is it invasive like pampas or bamboo. In Winter the foliage takes on a russet gold colour. This really makes a splendid thick bushy screen.

Plant 2 feet apart from mid May - September.
Ultimate height 15 feet. Can be trimmed to any height above 4 feet.
Ultimate width 4 feet. Can be trimmed to any width over 2 feet.
Grows well in most soil types (including chalky and clay) except those prone to laying very wet.

Suitable for most aspects from full sun to partial shade. Does not perform well in dense shade.
Suitable for coastal areas.
Performs well in windy positions.
Plant Spring / Summer (generally available mid May - September).
Due to the reduced growing season, Mammoth Miscanthus will not achieve its full height in Scotland and Northern England.

</div></div>

I'm thinking that your ground is not "swampy wet" but only some brief flooding?

I would try a few plants and see how they do.

I also wonder about herbicides...if it would be tolerant of the same herbicides as switchgrass?

I'm pretty sure it would thrive on rich 87 CSR soil... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Miscanthus studies

Miscanthus FAQ

Giant Miscanthus

Miscanthus x giganteus

Propagation Studies.

Performance of 15 Miscanthus Genotypes

Miscanthus and Projections for Illinois

Central Iowa, just wondering if you have an update on this stuff or not, any recent pictures of it?

I planted 75 this spring and 80% of it is doing well. With the big flooding this spring, it was under about 3 ft of water for a week. About 50% survived with the leaves still green. On some, the leaves are brown but it may come back. I'll just have to wait and see.

I thought I would share a picture taken this weekend of our Miscanthus - this was planted around May 1st.

Miscanthus1.JPG

This is one of the more impressive clumps in the bunch /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Wow! Stuff is really taking off!

Looks clean around that plant...using any herbicide to control weeds Chris?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Looks clean around that plant...using any herbicide to control weeds Chris? </div></div>

A good dose of atrazine /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

Top Bottom