Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mistake

flugge

Yesterday was my first nite bowhunting ever, and I had a nice buck come in, and i shot him, but to far forward, I hit his bone...I feel so bad for doing that. Well, just thought i would share so I can get ripped on.

Everybody makes mistakes. I hit a nice buck with my muzzleloader on the second day of early season. Looked all over for him, that day and the next. I felt bad for a week.

Finally went back into that area today and followed the stench smell right to him. Sometimes there is a bright side.

Same thing about 7 years ago on a elk hunt, poor shot on one and it ruined my trip. I felt like I killed one and I should stop hunting now. The tag allowed me one elk and I blew it. He's off dead in the blow downs and the coyotes will eat for a week.

Depressing, but you have to pull out of it. The fact that you are bothered by it tells me you have a conscience and great respect for the animal.

Do what you can, practice, practice, practice. Work on the breathing part of your shooting form and you'll control your nervousness better.

Good Luck.

Well, I am hunting up by St. Ansgar, Iowa....Tonite, sunday nite, I had a shot at a 6 pointer but he jumped the string so to say..and As I was leaving there was what looked to be a doe with an arrow stuck out of her back...and The ppl who shot her/him..were drunk....I was so mad...but theres not to much i could do about it...

Believe me, I know how you feel. Friday night I shot a really nice 8 pointer and he ran off with half the arrow sticking out behind his shoulder. That was at 4:30. Got out of my stand at 5:10 and got some tracking help. We followed a blood trail til 1:30 in the morning and came up with nothing. It's only my second year bowhunting and the first deer I've actually drew my bow on. I couldn't even go out yesterday I felt so bad.
I'm hunting by St.Ansgar too, along the Cedar River. I plan to get back in the saddle tomorrow and sit all day as nice as the weather is supposed to be.

Anyone that rips on you for being human has a problem and most likely does not know what real bowhunting is.

As long as you feel bad about it and try to do your best again the next time or take some action to help prevent it, I don't think anyone can say much.

You may see that one again soon. Even if they die, never seen one go to waste in the woods yet.

This happens just as much during shotgun season from what I seen and the deer herd has always managed to survive our mistakes.

I don't think there are any too many bowhunters out there that have not had that type of experience. Bowhunting done with some challenge has a risk and will always have that potential.

The perfect killing system can not be much fun or challenge. We might as well poison waterholes if that is all there is to it.

I don't know what the deer think, but if it was me, I would rather take my chances in the woods than on the highway.

Eventually, everyone who hunts will loose a deer. It's a fact of life, and anyone who would rip on you just hasn't gotten their turn yet.

Feeling guilt about it is unavoidable, but the deer won't go to waste. Last year we were driving up to thanksgiving dinner in the cities and between CR and Austin, there were 67 highway splats on 218. Between the bucks and the combines, a lot of deer get driven across highways. I've also found several deer tangled in fences; sometimes it looks like the coyotes started eating while they were still alive.

If you're engaged in a fair-chase hunt, then you're already doing more for conservation than the entire body of PETA representatives and should not have to feel guilty. In my opinion, however, there is no room in our sport for drunk or unethical hunters.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gonorse:
Believe me, I know how you feel. Friday night I shot a really nice 8 pointer and he ran off with half the arrow sticking out behind his shoulder. That was at 4:30. Got out of my stand at 5:10 and got some tracking help. We followed a blood trail til 1:30 in the morning and came up with nothing. It's only my second year bowhunting and the first deer I've actually drew my bow on. I couldn't even go out yesterday I felt so bad.
I'm hunting by St.Ansgar too, along the Cedar River. I plan to get back in the saddle tomorrow and sit all day as nice as the weather is supposed to be.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you mind telling me who owns the land you are hunting on...Cause I shot a really nice 8 with an 18" or so spread..It could be the same deer! haha...later

I'll tell ya it's a couple miles North of St.Ansgar. If it was the same deer, he would have had a big old wound behind his right shoulder. When did you shoot the 8 pointer? Sounds like you've been seeing a lot of bucks around your area.

Flugge,

What happened to you happens to all of us, it happened to me today.

Went to a river stand at 5:00 AM, in my tree by 5:30 AM. Had a shooter come in at 6:00 AM, he was walking away....still a little dark in the timber and my guess the arrow was to far back. I gave him 2 1/2 hours, watched 3 more bucks walk by and started looking.

Here is a pic of the first blood...

uploadedFirstBlood.jpg

Trailed him for 200 yards and lost his trail once he hit the river. I looked on both sides for more blood, and nothing.

Now, I have been doing this for over 20 years and have lost some dandy bucks. Some of the times my falt, other times just a bad circumstance.

You can't let it get you down, sure I feel like crap, always do but the best thing you can do is get your bow and get back to the woods.

That's just what I did and sure as heck I found a beautiful 10 pointer chasing a doe at 10:30 AM. Almost had a pic of him to show you but my damn digital camera moves to slow.

Hang in there man, that's why they call it "Hunting".

TLH

I have seen it twice where bucks had complete pass-throughs in the chest area and lived to chase another doe!

Jeff Lander, of Primitive Outfitting Co. video'd one of his hunters shoot a 190 class non-typical a few years back. The buck can be seen in the video running a full 1/2 mile wide open across a field and then jumping a barbed-wire fence and continuing on. The same hunter saw this buck 2 or 3 days later chasing does, with a red spot on both sides -- a bit far back and a bit high, in the area that we call 'the void'. It looks like a good hit on contact but in reality there's nothing vital hit.

Another hunter in mule deer camp this year made a similar shot. The arrow passed through the deer in between the spine and lungs, and all it hit was muscle and sinew. This buck was also seen with a small patch of blood on both sides the next morning, when they followed up on the shot.

So, there are many cases where a buck can take what appears to be a vital hit and live to tell the tale. Undoubtedly they are at a disadvantage, being injured prior to a harsh winter, but many likely survive.

Good luck this season, and remember that shot placement and picking the right shot opportunity are key!

I had a real bad year in 95.4-bucks not found and I was sure 2 of them were going to go down with in my vision.Dam near threw my bow in the river never to hunt again.5 days later a buddy talk me into going out with him .I nail a 9-point in the heart,he only went 40yrds. As I watched him dye I looked up In the sky with tears in my eyes,told the creator I was sorry about the others and thanked him for this one.I think I heard Him say,Tom its alright Its all part of my plan.God bless and get back out there.Sometimes thing don't go are way but,go His way.Oh,the next 3 arrow that flew off my bow put meat in the freezer.

I shot at a deer saturday morning,waited 45 min looked for the arrow, it was laying a few feet from the deer. Covered in bright red blood, no bubbles. I can still see the arrow entering, and all I see is a perfect shot. He was bleeding good. I tracked 2-1/2 hrs. And bumped a deer up. Decided to wait and pick it up in a few more hrs.
I tracked for another 3 hrs till dark.

To this point I have not seen where he has laid down yet, Basically he is running a scrape line.
I went back the next day and tracked for 2-1/2 more hrs At one point he crossed a ditch, the blood got a little better, for a few yards. The started to get a drop every 5 + yards. He is only bleeding on one side. This would have been my biggest deer to date. I have not given up, I hope to get lucky. This deer has easly gone 1200 yards or more. The shot was taken with the deer level to me. What do you think? <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by deerman:
I had a real bad year in 95.4-bucks not found and I was sure 2 of them were going to go down with in my vision.Dam near threw my bow in the river never to hunt again.5 days later a buddy talk me into going out with him .I nail a 9-point in the heart,he only went 40yrds. As I watched him dye I looked up In the sky with tears in my eyes,told the creator I was sorry about the others and thanked him for this one.I think I heard Him say,Tom its alright Its all part of my plan.God bless and get back out there.Sometimes thing don't go are way but,go His way.Oh,the next 3 arrow that flew off my bow put meat in the freezer.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"Bout ten years ago, I stalked a 150-class, thick-necked ten pointer in a CRP field of tall grass. Took me an hour of crawling across a foren plowed field, then another half hour of creeping through the big bluestem to within 20 yards of him. The doe he was with stood up and walked off, and he jumped up and tried to get in front of her, so he was standing broadside about 30 yards which is my limit from a kneeling position. I knew I would never get another shot at this brute, so I let fly. He moved just as I released and the arrow and it hit him a little high and just behind the vitals, probably just behind the diaphragm and just below the spine. I trailed him for 1/4 mile before I was convince he wasn't going down.

Much to my shock, I found him the next morning, about a mile away, on top of a hill chasing a doe. He had dried blood caked down both sides of his body, but he was going full steam. These deer have remarkable healing powers and I'm convinced that most of those that are lost due to poor shot placement live to carry on normal lives. In 30 years of bowhunting I've seen and heard a lot of things that just make you shake your head and wonder how they do it.

I knew a guy who took a shot at a buck's head right under his stand. The arrow stuck in the buck's skull right between the ears. I saw that buck for running around for two days with the arrow sticking straight out of the top of his head. It finally broke off, and that buck was still carrying the broadhead and about three inches of shaft when it was killed by another hunter the following year.

Sometimes the broadheads travel funny inside the deer.It has to.like I was sayin before.Sometimes it looks like a deadly shot but does not do the trick.The big deer are a very tough animal too.

I'm almost 100 percent positive that everybody in this forum has hit a deer outside their vitals. It's something that happens to all of us at one time or another. If bowhunting was so easy, then everybody would do it. Dont sweat it.
Big Timber

Top Bottom