Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

mock rub/scrape trees

Love this thread, I'm going to try to put some of these in, hoping it pays off this Fall...... anybody have much luck with these mock rubbing post?

Love this thread, I'm going to try to put some of these in, hoping it pays off this Fall...... anybody have much luck with these mock rubbing post?

I put a few small willows (3" diameter or so) in in late August last year in a few spots (food plot edge, travel route just off the edge of the timber), and then put in a slightly larger one beside them . Not sure on the type of willow, just took whatever is in my yard. Roughed 'em up with my pruners to give a focal point. Hung a camera near one and got a few pics of does using the upper branches, but no bucks. However, did not get the food plots planted, so there wasn't as much activity in those areas anyway. I did notice a couple weekends ago that one of them was broke over, but no evidence of any more rubbing than I did with the pruners. I know from pics that cattle got into the area in the fall and a couple calves rubbed on that one, but didn't think they were able to access it thru winter. Moved the camera sometime in the fall, so no evidence of what broke the "tree". I also took limbs off a couple cedars growing by my stands and roughed them up, hoping to create a live rub post, but don't think they got any action. Oh well, will probably be trying this again this year. May put them in a little earlier, and hopefully get the plots planted this year. Got several cedars that need to be taken out, so may use a few of them.

On a side note, if the farm has a lot of cedars, what might be another good tree to use?

It's all about the location and timing. For me they have to be in a feeding area that is already being checked. I just keep a rub/scrape tree in each feeding area to bring bucks in for a picture as they funnel thru the area, usually putting them within bow range of a setup.

Corbens September buck was on camera almost every day since july.

Coltons buck was all over, but always checked the trees in each field he visited.

I hunted this buck until almost the beginning of shotgun. His patterns changed a lot thru November, but he always marked the trees when passing thru, from September until late November.

Last edited:
Here we go again! I just have one mock rub tree in so far, but putting a couple more in this week. It has been a perfect growing season for food plots and racks, for a change. I can't ever remember so many bucks still holding velvet on sept 8th. Most are stripped by 9/2 here, usually. It's all about leaving alot of little licking branches right now. By the end of October these will be destroyed or dried out, then I replace with bigger 6"+ signposts.

Less than 2 weeks untill youth season! Watching this one now.

Last edited:
I was wondering when this would get updated. I have been planning to get a couple new trees in this year, but hasn't happened yet. Thinking about trying a cedar this year as we have several rubbed each year.

anybody have these going again this year?

I left mine up from last year all year, but didn't have any cameras on them after mid-October. I used some willow branches from my yard for those (think they're a hybrid willow). Only had pics of does using one of them. I noticed one was snapped off last spring (would have occurred between mid November to February-March), but it could have been from a bovine rubbing on it.

This year I have only got one put in so far. It's in a clover plot. I decided to use a cedar tree this time since we see cedars rubbed every year and we have a lot of cedars around. I've also watched bucks make a scrape under a cedar in this area. I left a couple branches near the top for licking branches. Forgot to take a pic when I set it, but have a camera looking at it now. Not sure if I'll get another set out or not.

Don't mean to hijack this tread but if anyone is interested in viewing video of mock rub/scrape action similar to what 6x6 does you should checkout what's currently running on the Whitetails Inc.webcast. Or checkout the latest Muzzy Moment on North American Whitetail.com. Also there is an detailed article on the horizontal rub in the Sept. Issue of North American Whitetail magazine.

Don't mean to hijack this tread but if anyone is interested in viewing video of mock rub/scrape action similar to what 6x6 does you should checkout what's currently running on the Whitetails Inc.webcast. Or checkout the latest Muzzy Moment on North American Whitetail.com. Also there is an detailed article on the horizontal rub in the Sept. Issue of North American Whitetail magazine.

I just read that article in N. American Whitetail about horizontal rubs and i think i am going to try it. That article was a very good read!

Ive been readin a lot on these transplant trees for mock rubs, they seem to get great results. I want to try it but where I hunt is a valley of oaks with open knee high prairie grass between hillsides. Thinking about giving a try near the timber edge off a heavy trail by some doe bedding, any thoughts?

I planted these faux rub trees in late Sep and can't believe how much attention they've received so far. While our deer numbers here in eastern NE are still way down from EHD die-offs in 2011 and 2012, I am pleased see that in a 6-day stretch, no less than 7 to 8 different bucks use these (no mature bucks though). They do seem to prefer the the cedar tree over the ash. We had a bad flood on Oct 1, but the deer continued to use my foodplot even as the water got close to 1.5 feet deep.

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Rain was just starting now.
picture.php

Getting deeper.
picture.php

And deeper, but it didn't deter the deer.
picture.php

I planted these faux rub trees in late Sep and can't believe how much attention they've received so far. While our deer numbers here in eastern NE are still way down from EHD die-offs in 2011 and 2012, I am pleased see that in a 6-day stretch, no less than 7 to 8 different bucks use these (no mature bucks though). They do seem to prefer the the cedar tree over the ash. We had a bad flood on Oct 1, but the deer continued to use my foodplot even as the water got close to 1.5 feet deep.

If you have basswood trees available...try to get those babies, I haven't found anything better. ;)

Top Bottom