Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mod for DSD strutter

nannyslayer said:
Jeez, from the looks of things, I may never kill a turkey again!!! I don't use decoys, just call them in and shoot them. But I do have a Bmobile in the garage, might as well get rid of that thing.

:grin:

Do you bow hunt them? When using a gun, cheap dekes, like feather flexes, can often hurt you more often, then help. If I still gun hunted them, I would leave the dekes and blind at home. Bow hunting can be done without a blind and dekes too, as I have done it, but Good dekes hold the bird near the blind long enough so that you can get an arrow off. Archery birds is a whole different game, then running and gunning with a shotgun. I quit shot gunning them, simply, because it just got too easy. I know many people that like gunning them, and that is cool with me. Different strokes...whatever floats a guys boat.

Do you bow hunt them? When using a gun, cheap dekes, like feather flexes, can often hurt you more often, then help. If I still gun hunted them, I would leave the dekes and blind at home. Bow hunting can be done without a blind and dekes too, as I have done it, but Good dekes hold the bird near the blind long enough so that you can get an arrow off. Archery birds is a whole different game, then running and gunning with a shotgun. I quit shot gunning them, simply, because it just got too easy. I know many people that like gunning them, and that is cool with me. Different strokes...whatever floats a guys boat.

I will agree that archery hunting for them might be a tad bit tougher, but blasting a turk with a shotgun is extremely satisfying. I only hunt archery hunt them now mainly because I can kill two birds early in the season before the ticks get really nasty. 4th season is just too much of a battle for me.

I am not being argumentative, or trying to provoke I just am interested in learning about different areas and what the birds are like. I am not saying you need the best decoys either I just think it is interesting what kind of reactions people get from various decoys.

I will agree that archery hunting for them might be a tad bit tougher, but blasting a turk with a shotgun is extremely satisfying. I only hunt archery hunt them now mainly because I can kill two birds early in the season before the ticks get really nasty. 4th season is just too much of a battle for me.
I started hunting them in the late 80's, and yes, they are fun to shoot with a shotgun. I think a hunter is handicapping himself by bringing a blind and dekes when using a shotgun though. Turkeys are easier to hunt, when u are mobile. These dsds are for the bow hunter. We need them in close, and we need them to stick around for a while. In my experience, bow hunters worry way too much about their blind brand or camo pattern on it instead of putting their money in good dekes. Last year I called a tom up to a dsd upright hen, while I sat in my sil nylon tipi with smoke bellowing out of the chimney,(my avatar while I was cooking breakfast! Honest! Just for kicks, I am going to take my 6 man bright red eskimo quickfish 6 ice shelter out, and call some birds up to it. I bet it wont bother them at all. The dsd's will be in their site, and they will just think I am a grain wagon. Speaking of that, the ice fishing industry took from the hunting industry with these hub style pop up shelters they sell. I cant wait till the hunting industry takes from the ice fishing industry, and puts out a 6 man hub camoed blind. To have room and stand upright in, will be something long overdue for this guy.

Last edited:
You might have to quit hunting them all together. All your modified DSDs & everything... it's just gonna be too easy.

So your telling us that since gunning them is too easy your going to spend $600 on decoys and sit in a blind so the turkeys will walk right up to your blind and you can shoot them at 10 yards! Yea! That sounds real tuff to me!

Imagine hunting out of a camoed 70"X144"X80" tall hunting blind that doesn't weigh much more then a db matrix, and is just about as fast and easy to setup.
2011-03-02_16-52-25_76.jpg

So your telling us that since gunning them is too easy your going to spend $600 on decoys and sit in a blind so the turkeys will walk right up to your blind and you can shoot them at 10 yards! Yea! That sounds real tuff to me!

Extremely hard, try it.

Extremely hard, try it.

May be you should go back though the site and see how many Toms i have shot with a bow! I have every turkey on here since 2003 that i have shot. And many of those were shot with a bow! I don't recall seeing any birds that you have shot?

Sure they wont get educated if you kill the ones that get close enough to tell the difference in a PB or DSD.

Last year my tom kicked the snot out of my PB that didnt have real wings.....

3 years ago I called in 5 strutters together on May 12th for my wife, they had plenty of season to see decoys by then and they came within 5 yards of 2 of the old roll up foam jake and hen decs.....hunters are a marketing departments dream customers, they just like to spend money. ;)

I see what you are saying and yes any decoy will work at different times.

Find someone that has DSD and have him take you hunting.
There is a difference. Two of the guys I went with last year saw the results after we went out.

Right Justin? :grin: Both bought a couple for this year.

I do not get any price breaks from DSD just trying to put you on a decoy that has produced honestly good results for me.

Now that was last year. Watch this year be a totally different story.
Good luck.

May be you should go back though the site and see how many Toms i have shot with a bow! I have every turkey on here since 2003 that i have shot. And many of those were shot with a bow! I don't recall seeing any birds that you have shot?

See, so hard I cant even take pic!!!!!

I have a buddy that bought a dead turkey decoy that you just flip the tail fan up on it,he has killed several birds with a bow while the birds are trying to beat the hell out of his decoy. He will not loan it out anymore. Several kills on video. He bought it from a guy out of South Dakota that was at deer classic several years ago. Can't find one now or i'd buy one.

I have a buddy that bought a dead turkey decoy that you just flip the tail fan up on it,he has killed several birds with a bow while the birds are trying to beat the hell out of his decoy. He will not loan it out anymore. Several kills on video. He bought it from a guy out of South Dakota that was at deer classic several years ago. Can't find one now or i'd buy one.

That would be a decoy that I would be interested in.

If you find out any information please let us know.

Thanks.

switchback man/risto,
After you kill a bird cape it down the back and leave the tail on and stand it up so it can blow like a dead turkey fan... :way:

turkey_cape.jpg

See, so hard I cant even take pic!!!!!

Or it could be that you're so full of chit your eyes are brown. Your last few posts in this thread are unbelievable.

Serioulsy Don, since it's apparent that you believe you are Gods gift to this site and the world of turkey hunting why don't you put your $$ where your mouth is and post a few pictures of all these turkeys you've killed since you became an archery only expert. Throw in a few bucks while you're at it since you've come up with "your style" of bowhunting, I'm curious to see the fruits of your labor. Oh, and "seeing game" pics as you stated not long ago don't count.

For a guy who takes a picture of damn near every piece of gear he owns/modifies from multiple angles I would expect you to have at least a 32GB SD card full of harvest pictures from all the game you've so skillfully outwitted over the years.

So prove me wrong Don, post em up for all of us to see.

Last edited:
HCH, I have killed several birds with archery equipment, but have killed a lot more with the 12 gauge. I will agree with you, killing a bird in the state of Iowa with a shotgun is an easy task.

Now, head to the big timber hills of southeast Missouri, Kentuckey or Arkansas, and you are dealing with a totaly different bird, a bird that has been messed with and is very call shy, and extremely, let me repeat EXTREMELY blind shy. If your not on the ground camo'd out, 8 times out of 10, the bird will see your blind and head the other direction.

Archery hunting birds is fun, I enjoy it, but my job has me extremely busy through the spring, so I don't have time to archery hunt them.

I am not being argumentative, or trying to provoke I just am interested in learning about different areas and what the birds are like. I am not saying you need the best decoys either I just think it is interesting what kind of reactions people get from various decoys.

I know you are, just giving you a hard time.

switchback man/risto,
After you kill a bird cape it down the back and leave the tail on and stand it up so it can blow like a dead turkey fan... :way:

turkey_cape.jpg

Exactly, and if you think you have to have a head, get a head from a taxidermy supply store and attach it to it.

I know a guy that sells semis and is the best hunter this state will ever see, and he has one:D

Turkey decoys

I couldn't help but chime in on these decoy posts. I hunt in SD and have never had the need for these expensive decoys. We kill several turkeys with archery gear every spring using cabelas brand decoys and a killer b or b-mobile. I will admit that the DSD decoys look amazing, and should for the money. I also know where to get those turkey pelt decoys at in SD a lady taxidermist in my home town made several for a big outfitter a few years ago. They work awesome! She also makes great stuffed hen decoys, but they are a bit pricey. Good luck hunting to you all!

Top Bottom