MORELS UP FOR ANYONE? Update?

Discussion in 'Iowa Whitetail Conference' started by Sligh1, May 9, 2018.

1. hotshott2289

hotshott2289 Member

5lbs in decatur saturday

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. LoessHillsArcher

LoessHillsArcher Well-Known Member

3 grays and 1 yellow in the hills in Western IA this weekend, this rain is what we needed, now some warm days and we'll be rocking

4. Broot

Broot New Member

Been watching these grow from grays to good sized yellows for a little over a week. Harvested this evening. They are late this year. Anyway, they are getting big and turning yellow now...Benton county. From about a 30 foot patch. Biggest one is 4” tall.

D72C9968-49DD-4EED-A104-A4461DA9ECB8.jpeg

I shy away from harvesting grays anymore - almost killed off our patch several years ago harvesting too many immature morels (few to no spores while gray). The patch is doing great last few years!

Sligh1, goatman and Ishi like this.
  5. Sligh1

Sligh1 Administrator Staff Member

Mushroom dummy here.... so grays turn into yellows?
    How long do these things take to grow? I kill tons of elms every year doing tsi so more mushrooms than I ever could imagine but I am sure not versed on how to manage these rascals or what a life cycle is like. Gonna go look around this afternoon for a bit.

Broot likes this.
  6. Broot

Broot New Member

Yep, the grays turn into yellows! There is such a thing as a true gray morel, but they are not a variety we commonly see around here.

Depending on the season and morel, it takes 2-3 weeks (even as long as 4 weeks) from the time they pop up until they reach full size.

Some folks prefer the taste of morels while still gray, and it’s fine to harvest some of your crop gray, but leave plenty to mature.

It’s getting a little late in this year’s season, but put a flag by a small gray if you find one. It’s fun to go back every day or two, viewing the progress!!!

Sligh1 likes this.
  7. IowaBowHunter1983

IowaBowHunter1983 Super Moderator Staff Member

This has been the worst shrooming season in a while. Just cant seem to get into them.

8. DGorman

DGorman Member

Found a dozen or so behind the house tonight along with a mess of oysters. [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Ishi, HorseDoctor, Sligh1 and 3 others like this.
  9. Sligh1

Wow!!!!
    See the ONE small little mushroom - BOTTOM CENTER/LEFT? I didn't even find one of those today! ZERO!

10. Hawk32

Hawk32 PMA Member

Been terrible for me as well. Cant seem to find anything.

11. BDAHMS

BDAHMS Be here Now

12. Ishi

Ishi PMA Member

Please explain more on these oysters?!?! Must be editable
    Nice haul Brandon!!

13. Droptines

Droptines Member

Never heard of grey morels turning yellow. Also never have never seen an edible morel 2 to 3 weeks old. Must be a magical woods where these morels grow!

boneman and 4DABUCKS like this.
  14. Broot

Broot New Member

No magical woods. The gentleman I first heard it from was an Iowa DNR researcher. Being skeptical, we had to try for ourselves. We also mentioned what he said to several other friends, one of whom lives in Missouri. Lo and behold, the researcher was correct. Each of us found that the grays do indeed grow and turn into yellows. Five of us, in different woods - one in another state. I’ve been watching my favorite patch for several years, and I see the same thing every year. My brother even found a patch of baby grays one year about 3/8” tall. He watched them grow into 2-3” yellows.

While I don’t have much for pictures on my phone, here are two videos I was able to find I YouTube.

There will always be skeptics, but I do highly encourage you to stake a few gray morels and come back. Y’all have trail cams, set em to timelapse! :)

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm
    97027184-2383-4962-9A52-E64C89E18292.jpeg 1C561436-3A3D-49A8-92A1-0182069AAB97.jpeg

Attached Files:

Sligh1 likes this.
  15. Droptines

Droptines Member

You can believe what you want. Yellows will eventually grow in some of the spots that greys grow. In other places a yellow will not grow period! I've been doing this for far too long to be fed some bull a DNR officer claims to be true. If you've hunted them enough you would know the two have completely different consistency. I've said my piece and you or anybody else can believe what ever you have been told or read in a book.

boneman likes this.
  16. Broot

Broot New Member

I’ve been hunting them on private land for about 8 years. Like with anything, age will change many attributes, including consistency.

We’ll simply have to agree to disagree :)

17. Sligh1

Broot likes this.