Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Morning hunt, to decoy or not

I have watched two toms for the past couple days come to a field and leave it at the same spot every day. Do I just set a blind and ambush or put out decoys, since in the past there have been some hens in the field and can not be as predictable. If decoying thoughts on what to put out. I have up right and feeding hen and half strut jake. I am hunting with a bow.

You know where they are. I'd set my blind 10-15 yards from where they come out and stick a couple hen decoys in the field to give them something to look at.

I was in a similar situation. Setup for 4 toms opening day and they read the script doing what they normally do. However, they didn't like my lone 1/4 strut jake and spent three hours walking around with the hens just out of range. I have chose wrong with my decoy sets all year so far, but I'd go with both the hens and 1/2 strut jake and set one of the hens low, like she's ready to breed. I would do that mainly because I hate 20+ yd shots with a bow and you never know what they'll do.

Im 3/5 hunts using an Avian 1/4 strut Jake on the motion stake. Im sold on the basspro motion stake..... Never had a turkey beat my decoys last year and this year I've had 3. I think some of that is better knowledge, but had a tom hang up at 100 yards one day, every time I turned the deke a quarter turn he'd run about 20 yards strut, turn it again, same deal... finally turned it away from him and he ran right in.

Top Bottom