Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Movement Update...

iatreehugger

PMA Member
I started a thread like this last year and it seemed like we had a lot of fun with it. It was meant to keep us up to date on what was going on when we couldn't be out and wished we were. I live in SE Iowa and actually had a really good buck hounding a doe last Saturday night, and she wanted no part of it, but he was sure worked up. Made it out again on Monday morning, and it was dead as a hammer...going to try to get out some evening before the weekend with this cold front and see what's moving...let us know what's going on in your neck of the woods. No moon and the last three days of October should be scary good!!!

WOW was it dark out this morning! With the cool front they werent moving as much as i thought they would, i suppose the wind had something to do with that also. Only saw 2 does, pretty dissapointed.

Had a 130s 10 push two does and a fawn through about 3:45, then a couple 2 1/2s about 6:00 decided to push each other around...this cold front has them moving around here...but haven't seen any moving across the fields except early and late...

Had a great hunt this morning but it was more luck than anything. Packed a LW in 1/2 mile and sat a large tract of state ground. Had a doe and twin fawns come in to bout 70 yards @ 0820. Within 5 minutes noticed a larger deer coming from the same direction but closer to my tree. Long story short, passed a 145ish ten at 8 yards. He looked up at me and got a little goosy and backed up and circled at 20 yards. He eventually got over to the doe, kinda half-assed bumped her once and she took off away from me. He really never followed but walked off in another direction so I think we are a couple days away still.

Had a 2.5 grunting up a storm later in the sit chasing the same three-some around.

Physical hunt but a very enjoyable morning.

Hunted 3 hours in AM/PM sits and didnt see any deer yesterday (Oct 26th). A great deal of bigger deer on cam between 2-4AM. Was surprised not more action with cold front but so is bowhunting :) Great to be out though!

Might go out, was planning on sitting out yesterday for my B-DAY but I got the flu! :( I might just go out and basicly watch the Deer rather than shoot.

Nothern Missiouri Action - 5 miles south of IA border, observations from multiple hunters/stands

10/26
Funnel between food and bed - 4 does only
Funnel between food and bed - 1 Buck 4.5 year old 9pt about 145" and not til 9:30 am. Grunted in, took shot and clipped the back side of shoulder blade. Searched for hours no luck. Got 10" of penetration and left 10" of arrow in the buck but no luck finding him.

10/27
Down wind side of bedding area - 0 deer
Ridge off of food - 1 mature buck only, 165ish 10pt...ratttled in and killed this morning.

Deer are not moving much but we have been fortunate enough to be in the right spot at the right time on the past few hunts.

Saw a small buck trailing a doe across a picked beanfield just west of I-35 north of Ellsworth on the way to Minneapolis on Sunday morning ... about 9 a.m.

Only saw a couple of deer that had been hit and laying along the road.

SE MN
last night on stand from 5- dark. Saw a small buck and 4 does. Not chasing or anything like that. Trail cams still haven't produced much other than 1 and 2 years olds.

Sat last night for 4 1/2 hrs and didnt see a thing, not even a squirrel. Winds were out of the NW at 10-15 mph. I sat in a stand the day before that is about 100 yds from this one and saw a doe and two fawns, four turkeys, 3 black squirrels and 2 reds.

My information is now a few days old, since we haven't been out or pulled cards since Sunday. But, I have been pleased this year to continue to get a good amount of daytime pics of bucks on trail cams, moreso than in past years.

The one buck we want to get the most is a buck that we have 3 years of history with and we think he was a 2-1/2 when we first noticed him, so we think he is a 5-1/2 now. I read a blurb by Bill Winke that he has noticed that sometimes an older buck will get less nocturnal once they get to 5-1/2 or older, etc, and that seems to be what we are seeing with the buck on our farm that appears to be the oldest.

For whatever reason, he is far less nocturnal this year than in the past. Hopefully that adds up to him wearing a tag on his antlers here pretty soon. ;)

Awesome, exciting night! Get in my stand where they just cut the beans and thought it would be a great night. Well, after 2 hours of NOT seeing a single deer I started to get discouraged. Wow, only one doe enters the field it is 6:30 and needless to say, I am getting ready to let my bow down the tree and call it a night. Just when I get it on the hook over the opposite ridge comes a 135 inch (estimate) 8pt, he was a nice deer and he is hot on a doe. Behind him is a small fork buck who keeps trying to sneak in. They are 150 yards going in circles in the field. I grab the grunt tube and let it go, well nothing. I snort weeze, that gets his attention, but the doe is now working south toward the field edge. He pays no attention and goes after her. Gets to the field edge and starts making scrapes and rubs like crazy. I never intended to shoot the buck, but man did it get exciting in a hurry! Well after putting the binos down I notice that I must have got the attention of a small 130 inch ten and he is 50 yards in front of me. What does he do, walk right into the draw/finger where my stand is and I swear, tears up every tree under me! I didn't get out of the stand until 7:30 because he just wouldn't leave!

It was an awesome night. Beans coming out on field to my east, which has been having a lot of does show up. THE ACTION IS STARTING!

I havent been hunting but watched a 120 chasing a doe in a crp field at 12:31 this afternoon while driving to an account.

Went out on public ground in Central Iowa and sat in a pretty good pinch point. Had a small buck come in at 15 yards, had 3 points on one side and was bald on the other. This was at about 6:00. At about 6:30 had about a 115" buck come roaring past my stand at full blast. Wasn't sure what spooked him but I have a sneaking suspicion it had to do with all the coyotes I was hearing. It was a very nice night to sit though.

This was one of those nights where even if you didn't see much it was sure nice to be out! Had 3 different senerios I watched all from the same stand... a doe and her two fawns on a cornfield edge 1/2 mile away not a care in the world (like they haven't been bothered); a 130" 10 point come in the field 80 yds from me on a mission, and a buck chasing a doe in the river (because it is so low) like he was going to get lucky...my guess is he didn't! I got home and my son had hunted another place and had 8 does in the field and one little buck all acting like they were just eating supper together. YES it is close but not quite IMOA!

Saw 5 Does 2 Bucks on our home property last night. First time getting out since I got over the flu. Didn't see anything until 5ish and then 3 Does came within 10-20 yards of me or less. Had a Split come out and take off 50 yards away. Then chased a 2 Does and OAK on my way home they were standing in our bean field.

Rattled in a six pointer last night at 5:10 p.m. and have seen 5 small bucks and a 140 inch 8 pointer the last three days after not seeing anything with antlers all year.

Top Bottom