Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Movement Update...

Sioux City Animal Control picked up 5 deer that got hit by cars yesterday one was a nice 12 point buck I saw at 2:30 pm along west 19th by west high. I went back at 3:00 pm to look at it closer and take a pic but sum one cut the rack off they are moving around sum

I rattled in a nice 8 this morning, probably 120ish 2.5 year old. That's the only one I saw while on stand. Had to climb down earlier than I would've liked to get a few things done at the office. I saw a mature 10 pointer along the gravel road on my way out, and this was around 9:30.

Thursday the 27th
Morning hunt- hunted just off the edge of a fresh picked corn field seen 4 does
Afternoon hunt- same stand, nothing

Friday the 28th
Morning hunt- hunted on the edge of a bean field between the field and a bedding area. 6 does and 3 bucks, the biggest buck was probably around 130" 8 n he was chasing a doe pretty hard. had a shot at about 15 yards let him walk. Needs about 30" more.

I am sitting my first "timbered" sit in the AM. It is right on the edge of my sanctuary. Haven't been in this spot for over a month when I put the stand in. Hope to see some chasing and big bucks. It is the most remote part of the farm, the only negative is the LONG walk to get in there. Sets up perfect for that south wind.

Based on what I saw this morning the harvest forums are going to be busy this weekend!!!

Good luck everyone !!!

Ps - we Are giving away a boar ridge hunt for 2, a new hoyt bow and more for our PMA big buck contest .... Make sure to join!

Sent from my iPhone using IW

Went out tonight in a wooded finger between a picked bean field and river. Saw only one buck, a small 3 pointer. I was a little disappointed. Saw the same buck last night at 20 yards and again tonight at 18. Sprayed a little Buck Bomb doe pee (not estrus) and he came right to it with his nose to the ground. He should consider himself lucky because he has offered me chip shots the last two nights and I haven't shot a deer with my bow in two years due to injury. But QDM is more important than my blood lust lol.

Here in SE we had kind of a quick freak storm last night right before dark (wind blowing like crazy and slashing wind)...and then it just stopped. I took a quick drive and ever field had deer in them. Saw a decent ten starting the cruise phase, but then other fields had does with bucks and it was like they were eating a family picnic not a romantic dinner for two if you know what I mean...going out this evening so we will see!!!

this morning: 4 does, 1 fawn, 2 spikes, 1 button buck, 1 half rack dink, & 1 dink 8 trying to chase a doe.
not a bad morning

last night I had 6 does and a gorgeous 3 yr old ten with split g2's come by. He was really hearding them around doing alot of grunting. I think this weekend is when it really kicks into gear.

This morning Saturday. 1 doe, 1 fork, 1 outdoor deer magazine cover! Bucks came in behind me so no shot but they responded to rattling.

Last edited:
Wow, I have had back to back awesome hunts. This morning, I got into a new stand I have NEVER sat in until this morning it sets on the edge of my sanctuary just across a small creek. Got settled in and rattled at 8AM. five minutes later, a 140 inch (or better) 9 pt, with super long brow tines steps out of a thicket and starts to make a scrape. He had a split g3 on his right side and unlike most SW Iowa bucks, had a much darker brown rack. He didn't have much width, but had pretty good mass and tine length. I would age him at 3.5 years. He starts to circle down wind and while he was looking away I reach for my bow and not sure what caught his eye, but he gives me the "stare down". He was at 10 yards and you could tell he was on edge. He was heading towards a mock scrape I made when this all occurred. I truthfully didn't intend to shoot this buck and have never seen him on the farm. After the stare down (3-4 minutes) he slowly turns and heads back toward the creek. 30 minutes pass, and I rattle in a small fork buck. Same thing occurs, he works down off the ridge and across the creek. Takes the same trail behind my stand at 10 yards and freezes at the exact spot as the nice 9pt. Another 30 minutes passes and along the fence line of the timber here comes my first true "shooter" of the season. I was not able to see his exact number of points, but he had the tine length and mass. I gave him some contact grunts and got his attention. He worked along the other side of the creek. I got more aggressive and snort weezed, he froze and looked, but after that he trotted off east up the ridge and out of my life! After that, no more close encounters accept for 2 does and another small buck.

Total, I saw 8 deer. 5 bucks and three does, it is obvious that they are moving and getting aggressive! I expected to see a lot of does coming back from the fields and back to bed hoping to find a buck chasing. Instead, I find several bucks out cruising! Temps got warm around 11 and I got out stand. Suppose to be in low 60's I think still too hot for all day. If the wife lets me, I am going to go out to another stand for a PM field next to a fresh cut bean field.

I hope that 9pt doesn't come back to haunt me. I seriously thought long and hard about him. Last year, I had a similar experience where I had a 140 inch buck and gave him the pass. I did see bigger bucks later, but never got a great opportunity.

Super slow morning for me to because I forgot to set the alarm :). Little pumpkin carving with the little ones then headed out for an evening sit

Sent from my DROIDX using IW

Seen 4 bucks cruising the timber ridges this morning from first light to ten o clock. Had to get down and leave by 10:30 but sure hated to. Looks like all day movement is here, but I could get no response to rattleing or grunting.:(

Seen 4 bucks cruising the timber ridges this morning from first light to ten o clock. Had to get down and leave by 10:30 but sure hated to. Looks like all day movement is here, but I could get no response to rattleing or grunting.:(

That is what got movement here. They didn't come "right in" to rattling, but when three bucks come in I don't think it was a coincidence. The grunt didn't seem to get much of a response and the snort weeze sent the biggest buck running up the ridge....too early.

First time try with droid bionic this am had a doe and fawn come past @8 and later a gray fox, @9 a coyote. @ten got out of stand and bumped a doe, checked trail cam and have 5 new bucks some busted up and some cruising in daylight! On stand now and have an orphan fawn bedded@ 20yds in some grass! Live dek sweet!

First time try with droid bionic this am had a doe and fawn come past @8 and later a gray fox, @9 a coyote. @ten got out of stand and bumped a doe, checked trail cam and have 5 new bucks some busted up and some cruising in daylight! On stand now and have an orphan fawn bedded@ 20yds in some grass! Live dek sweet!

Wife promised to be back by 4PM.....looks like that didn't happen. I got stuck watching the 4 month old. She will pay tomorrow, now going to sit all day to pay her back!

Good luck to those who are out this PM!

hunted this morning right on the timberline on top of a ridge, was gonna rattle right at sunlight, picked up the antlers and looked around and saw a doe coming right at me over this hillside Put the antlers down, thinking "hey there might be a buck following" not 30 seconds later, a nice 145 inch 10 i would guess 3.5 y/o follows her down just chasing her good. He ends up taking a different path and the doe trots off up and over the ridge. He follows and i grunted, then got more aggresive and snort-wheezed at him, and he comes to within 50 yards and just stomps for a good 3-4 mins, and ends up following the doe. about 5 mins later saw an older 8 pointer with short brows that took the same path as the doe directly under my stand, he was probably low 130's and i decided i was gonna pass him. he ends up going downwind of me and rakes this tree for a good 20 mins, i mean rubbing his entire face and shaking down this good sized tree.

Was a pretty fun morning hunt! i think the good part is just beginning!

Last night not alot moving my guess due to the winds. At dusk saw two does exit a timber block into switch and had a good buck pushing one of the does.

This AM, six different bucks and five does/fawns by 9:30. Best buck was a 135 class 8 pt. He was following a doe most of this time all around the timber block I was in. He made two different scrapes and was really working the trees over good.

Taking tonight off and will be out in the morning again.

Top Bottom