Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Movement Update...

Hunted both morning and afternoon yesterday. Seen some does come in about 8:30 and then again around 9:00 when they bedded looking right at me from 30 yards away. Hunted from 3-sundown and around 5:15 got to watch an elusive buck we named "Frankenstein" push a doe around for 15 minutes. All of this was about 100 yards away and he never came closer. Seen 3 other does and one small basket rack. It's starting to pick up..

Great morning! Started off slow the first hr then I spotted a white spot up on the ridge top. I couldnt find it in the binos so I decided to try a little rattling. I hit them along with a couple grunts and within in 2 mins here comes a fork horn. So I watch him for a few mins licking a branch and eating the coffee beans off of a tree. Then all of a sudden here comes a doe and her two yearlings along with another young buck. So now im 5 deer deep. Watching them I notice they all looked up the ridge, another buck and three does! 9 deer deep. As none of them were shooters I begin texting my huntin buddy who is across the road sitting. As I turn around here stands another buck, about a 120 incher. The fork horn sees him and decides to go challenge the older buck. His ears are laid back as though hes gonna kick some butt, but he decides to skirt around the bigger fella, but only for a minute. He then takes on the bigger buck with some light sparring. This lasted for nearly 15 minutes then he gives up and comes back under the fence to the does. Then all of a sudden behind me theres a new 8 ptr and another buck. None are shooters so far. Now after about ten mins the 120 disappears to the west, however just to the east of him a hundred yds stands two more bucks, and one appears to be what Im looking for! Time to grab the SR-71. As Im watching them circle one another they freeze and look the other direction. Now another buck, this one and the smaller buck begin battling it out pretty fiercly as the bigger one watches. This battle lasts about two mins and then the big one lets out a snort wheeze and the two smaller bucks take off. Now the bigger buck begins walking west so I snort wheezed at him and he turned towards me. But he loses interest qui kly so I give a short rattle and he turns and comes within ten yds and beats the heck out of a small bush and starts making a scrape, then he thrashes his antlers in the scrape. Hes standing broadside, but his left antler was pretty weak. Short tines on that side, but the rest of him was beautiful. Dark heavy antlers with some good character. Not qute what Ive got my sights set on. Plus its early yet so I let him work over the bushes and scrape and move on!

Last edited:
10/29/11 -Monroe Co. - Evening Sit 4pm to Dark - Rattled in 2 spikes

10/30/11 - Northern Missouri - Evening sit 4pm to Dark - 20 does in 3 acre turnip plot, not a buck to be seen.

Sat back in on a doe bedding area this morning and saw four bucks (two worked the same scrape), and a doe with her fawn. All of the movement was after 8:00 and then wound down around 9:30. The doe acted like she was tired of getting pestered so she beat to the other side of the river. All of the bucks were young but were definately hoping to get lucky! There are bigger deer around, so figuring it is just kind of getting going. Sounds like we're all seeing or not seeing about the same thing and then someone gets lucky. I'm not sure, but this is looking like it is going to be one of the classic ruts (meaning pre rut in early Nov. and then lock down the middle of Nov.). It doesn't always work that way that's for sure!!!

Sat Sunday night on the edge of a bedding area and had a basket come out RIGHT at dark. This morning, how much more perfect could it be out?

Still, not a foot step, snort or anything. Good area and I know there are some good bucks around, but still very quiet out there. Which IMO is a good thing as it simply means it hasn't started yet :)

Had great movement last night in warren county.They seem to staying down in the hollows till dark.Had a 120 ten point chase a doe to me. Took her at 15 yards,she ran anther 20 yds. She looked at the buck as to say what did you just do to me? Then she just fell over. He stood there eating until another doe came and he was off to the races again. Passed on a 140-150 ten point at last light. Knew I would be boneing out one deer till late, did not think I wanted to tackle a second.

I just got back to my apartment here in Ames about 30 minutes ago and there was about a 120 inch 8pt chasing a doe around right behind my apartment. Right by the Ames Haunted Forest.

Keep the updates coming, I won't be able to get out until MAYBE Wednesday or Thursday evening. Going to sit on this cut bean field, it has been a doe feeding area, but got great shots of some big bucks who were still on their summer patterns. Will post a picture of two that I hope maybe show up to check the does.

How do you make your pictures bigger only shows as a thumbnail?
forum

Last edited:
Had a nice ten sniffing does Sat. afternoon.

Did not see a deer last night but missed a shot at a yote. :confused:

This morning watched a 150 - 160" deer breed a doe 40 - 50 yards away at about 9:00.

Grunted and snort weezed another 130 - 140" deer in at around 9:30.

Tonight was dead...I thing this warm evening thing has them in more of a morning pattern...anyone else have any thoughts?!

• Deleted by N/A
Show…
Tonight was dead...I thing this warm evening thing has them in more of a morning pattern...anyone else have any thoughts?!

I agree with ya I've been out only the past 4 evenings. I have could have killed the same 120in 8 point 3 of those evenings. Did see one good shooter but besides that its been pretty slow. Deer have been staying in the deep timber till after dark. havn't been out in the mornings yet, saving those for this weekend. i am going to bank on this cold front coming through wednesday that should get everything going in my opinion! This weekend might be the ticket:way:

Tuesday pm sit got to my stand around, 3:30 around 4:15 a mature buck pushes a doe out of the finger behind me, into an alfalfa field, flanked her for about, 4 minutes then crouched in she stood and he bred! That was cool they were 60 yards then when it, over she was jumping around and acting all giddy and they headed west! He was a 8 point w/a split brow mid 130s! They are cruising!!

Finally the big boys want to play. PM hunt and 1st deer I saw was a 10 point at or close to B&C. Grunted him close but not close enough. Also rattled in a 140ish NT and a heavy 8.

Saw a mature buck tending a doe at noon yesterday in the middle of a picked beanfield.

I wish I could of been sitting tonight in North Iowa. I had to work in Des moines today and on the way back home where the rain line was there was bucks everywhere chasing does. Vacation can't get here soon enough.

i got in the stand about 3:45 put my bow on the hook and looked to my right already had a buck coming in little guy...just a few minutes later had another little guy come in from behind me had one side broken off...then nothing but rain intill 5:30 seen one more little guy...lots of little ones moving just need the big guys to do the same...:way:

was too much of a wimp to sit in the stand tonight, instead i went to the ground blind over my turnip plot. Had roughly a inch of snow on the ground and was still thundering with snow.
with that being said, No does were seen. However I did see 4 bucks, all young.
Looking forward to this weekend. Hopefully after this front the bigger bucks will get to moving during daylight hours.

If you want an update from some others read "took advantage of the rain tonight"...some good reports on what others are seeing...I sat from 2 till dark:30...we were kind of on the line for the weather here in the SE...it was rainy for a bit, windy for a bit...saw one 130" 10 pt at 3:30. I didn't know it, but had a buddy head another direction this evening and he saw 3 dinks and the same 10 (1/2 mile away), and he said the dinks just kept running from one side of the field to the other and would look in the ravines...just hoping...I told him it sounds like "a middle school dance", and he said "exactly".

Top Bottom