Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Movement Update...

I haven't seen any breeding yet in day time, not to say they aren't yet.. over the weekend we hunted our van buren co farm, tons if deer there, can usually watch bucks cruising for does all day.. all we saw was some does n a couple small scrub bucks, that's it!!! I'm yet to see a shooter in daylight.. gonna happen soon tho I can feel it!!! Gonna slip into one of my maysville stands on a field edge where the does have been feeding all the time, about 1 pm today.. big ones gotta move sometime soon!!!
Good luck guys!!

They have been breeding for some time now. Reason you are not seeing any does is because the big boys are breeding them out of sight somewhere or at night. The more does you have the longer they will stay out of sight. When the last easy does are bred they will start cruising frantically looking for more does.
Not saying you will not see a shooter this time of year they may just be coming off a hot doe looking for one. It all depends on timing.

Seeing all these young deer and fawns just tells me that they are locked down right now.

This is all in my opinion. You still can't shoot one sitting on the couch.
Good luck to you.

Been hunting hard the past 2 plus weeks and only have seen alot of does and some small bucks! Hoping it breaks loose soon here in Northern Iowa.

I should have been in a tree this morning, but ran traps with my teenage son...and glad I did. What I did find interesting was we cover a lot of reallllly good deer country and did not see a single deer in the fields. The moon is absolutely huge right now, and you could see a half mile across the fields, so not sure what they are up to.

I hunted a stand where I could see another one of my sets across the road. Needless to say, I made the wrong choice! Saw two of my hitlist bucks run and check 10-12 does around a half cut beanfield. Will sit it tomorrow night, then headed to Albia to hunt Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning!

Had a buddy by Gravity, IA shoot a 182, 14pt. Today was a great day to be in the stand, nice and cool. Saw a stud of a 1.5-2 year that already has 14pts, will be awesome in 2 years!

Got off work at 6am got home to see bruisers chasing does in circles in the neighbors field stomped on the gas and headed to stand seen lots of deer till ten hunted till noon. Lots of new sign. Try to get the honey do's done and head back out.

Last edited:
I've got the dink parade goin on out here today! I lost count how many forks, spikes & other small bucks I've seen today.

all i've seen the past 3 days are dinks, does and nice young ones.. no big ones.I'm guessing they are locked down? anyone else seeing this?

Just seen a 130 inch 8 point breed a doe. Seen quite a few nice bucks along with a few dinks. Still in the tree and for sure staying all day!

Saw 30 deer from stand this morning. The most I've ever seen in one sit. 5 bucks and the biggest being a 130 inch 8. Saw a little bit of chasing, not much though.

Saw 3 deer this morning. Young buck and a 130 8 point pushing a doe. Passed both bucks up and didnt get a shot at the doe. Moved spots and hoping for more action.

Well, I had an exciting morning. Only saw 2 deer (both bucks!) but had them both running in to the rattle bag this morning. One of them was probably 145-160 class buck.

When rattling..be prepared to be caught offguard!

Last edited:
I saw 9 does and 9 bucks all before 7:30, and then it just went dead. The bucks were of all different ages. I had one 160s buck that had made the commit until two smaller bucks pushed a doe out of the bedding area...the chase was on in all directions, but so much for committment...love was in the air!

Very active morning for me. 10 or so does, several small bucks and a 140's 10 out in the picked corn field. Unfortunately the neighbor has yet to pick his corn. The nice buck came out of the corn, chased all the deer around that were in the field, and then disappeared back into the corn.

Since about 9 am I am seen zero deer. Absolutely no midday movement today.

My son saw 4 does and I filled a doe tag with a spike buck about 8:30. Real slow here in eastern iowa. Gonna try it in the morning, hope the rain holds out for the morning sit. Supposed to have 40 mph winds tommorow.

Twolabs67

Saw lots of movement tonight, but deep in the woods, almost a mile in. If it wouldnt have been for the chasing that I had seen, then I wouldnt have seen a deer...

Saw 3 nice bucks chasing 1 doe and another good buck chasing a single doe this afternoon while pulling a stand.

My son and I hunted Friday and Saturday in southern Iowa and in general things were fairly slow. I shot a doe Friday evening, grunted in a 100" 8 ponter that I passed at 22 yards and that was it. :( My son was seeing more deer about 250 yards away from me, 8-10 doe/fawn and a nice 10 pt dogging them, but he could not get the buck away from the does of course. No shots for him.

This morning my son shot a nice 8 pt real early, he came into a decoy but was acting more curious than dominant. Whatever he was thinking, he was dead about 6 seconds and 60 yards later. :D I post more on that tomorrow, it was a curious blood trail for a deer hit so well and a bit of a peculiar final resting place for him.

Tonight we both sat at opposite ends of the same field all the deer were in last night...you guessed it, we saw one little spiker. He provided various poses in front of me for probably 15 minutes, before he finally wandered off.

We have talked with multiple other hunters in our area and everyone had the same report...fair to poor movement over the past several days. It is still November though, but I could sure do without the high winds/temps and the bright moon!

Friday morning I saw 1 small buck cruising. Friday night I saw nothing and my bro saw 3 doe, all had a fawn or fawns with them. This afternoon I sat in his stand for a couple hours and saw one small scrubber cruising.

We have yet to lay eyes on a shooter, and neither of us has seen any chasing. Not sure if we missed it and its gone or it the best is yet to come.

Top Bottom