Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mow now, or wait?

That’s a frigin bummer!! Life around streams & Rivers & I guess we better off than dealing with hurricanes, vulcanos & earthquakes! Wow. I do try get blinds close to “creeks” or rivers so I can sneak out at end of night BUT - ya- that’s a bad situation with bank. Does that place flood every few years or less than that?
That sand..... yikes- I am not sure where to start there. What do farmers do with washed up sand like that in past? Hope u get it back to a good spot again.

That’s a frigin bummer!! Life around streams & Rivers & I guess we better off than dealing with hurricanes, vulcanos & earthquakes! Wow. I do try get blinds close to “creeks” or rivers so I can sneak out at end of night BUT - ya- that’s a bad situation with bank. Does that place flood every few years or less than that?
That sand..... yikes- I am not sure where to start there. What do farmers do with washed up sand like that in past? Hope u get it back to a good spot again.

Yep, this creek definitely has a flood history, but we've had a food plot in this location for 5 years and this is the first time it's been out during that time. My Dad used to farm a small field (approx. 20 acres) a short distance from this location, and every so often it'd get flooded out as well. Only real option with the sand is a tractor and a bucket or blade. Even so, you never really get rid of it all, and as a result it is a light sandy soil. I stopped there again Friday and about a third of the clover will survive. I sprayed cleth 2 days before the flood, and it is working. That portion of the clover will need a mowing in a couple of weeks and should be decent. The rest of it will eventually be turnips by fall once I spend a day blading out sand.

Overall, I'm counting my blessings. Flooding has been a major issue up here in the northwest corner of the state in recent days. People's basements, homes, businesses and entire lives have been dealt a major blow, so if all I'm dealing with is a wrecked food plot, I guess I should consider myself lucky!

NWBuck

Top Bottom