Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Mowing food plots

C

chief743

I planted a two acre plot of Biologic Clover Plus in Julne, 2003. Last fall it never got more than a foot tall. It's in its first full season of growth now and stands four feet tall. Is this stuff supposed to be mowed off periodically or do you just let it go? Can someone please advise. Thanks: Chief

I'd mow it but you may want to consider timing it depending on nesting in your area- mowing gets the new tender green stuff going & will help keep the weeds down.

Chief,

Cutting the plot will encourage new growth which will improve your plot two fold by increasing the protein level and palatability for the deer herd.

waytogo.gif

Mow it down. You may have to mow it again before this fall if it comes back as well as it's growing already.

The DNR/NRCS suggests waiting until after July 1/15? to mow. This is to allow pheasants and other wildlife to nest successfully. You might also consider the amount of cover in your area. You might mow a fawn that is hiding in your food plot if you mow it now. I have chased a few fawns around lately mowing hay and weeds. Are you willing to accidently mow a fawn? Waiting a few weeks might be in your best interest. I'm not a wildlife biologist, so take this at face value.

Top Bottom