Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

MS Bucks

ansy

Well since i didn't get drawn with 3 points, I wont be sharing any Iowa pics this year. So I wanted to post a few MS bucks instead. I figure no one ever gets tired of looking at deer pics.
tR2mhGc.jpg

4Udxslq.png

bFLsVV7.jpg
3BcR5Ad.jpg

ytZkIhG.jpg

1vwdI3w.png

ZkByY0L.png

36gtajg.png

tXWjsB5.png

4Udxslq.png

Who says southern deer are small??? Those look pretty durn good! Good luck!

We have alot of diversity across the state in deer herd and soil types. I am lucky to be in a good area. We have good neighbors, and manage pretty strict. Most of our mature deer are 230-240 pounds. We have killed a 270#. That last deer is going to be on the no shoot list this year for our club.

I would say only about 1/4 of the state is real good hunting. There are a few small areas that are as good as anywhere in the country. But it is mostly high dollar equity share clubs. Those are common in the state. Most of our public land is not good at all. People shoot anything. There are a few real good public places, but most of those are draw hunts.

Our biggest problem is our lucrative gun season and limits. We can kill 3 bucks/year (and have no tagging system) and gun season goes from NOV 6th - JAN 31st. Our deer get very hard to kill.

We do not have a good 10 point gene like the midwest states. Probably 90% of our mature bucks are 8 points.

I am assuming I will get drawn for Iowa next year, and am looking forward to it. I have a friend who is from there, and I will be hunting his family farm west of Des Moines . We turkey hunted it this spring, and enjoyed the beautiful state y'all have. I just like watching this site, and hoping to make a few friends.

That is a ridiculously long gun season. That would be about enough to destroy any state's herd. Keep us updated with your season!

We do not have to tag or report our harvest. So unless the game warden sees you drag out more than 3 bucks, its basically just the honor system to stop at 3 bucks.
Yes our season is long. But we have way more deer/acre than the Midwest. Our state is much more wooded, and the woods are much thicker than up north. We have alot of pine and hardwood cutovers that are so thick you cannot walk through them. Alot of places for them to hide and go nocturnal.

Nice bucks, those are as good as a typical Iowa deer. Not having an opportunity at a deer like that outside a club would be rough for sure though. We got it pretty good here in Iowa!

We do not have to tag or report our harvest. So unless the game warden sees you drag out more than 3 bucks, its basically just the honor system to stop at 3 bucks.
Yes our season is long. But we have way more deer/acre than the Midwest. Our state is much more wooded, and the woods are much thicker than up north. We have alot of pine and hardwood cutovers that are so thick you cannot walk through them. Alot of places for them to hide and go nocturnal.

It is pretty much the same here in Alabama..... 3 bucks and our rifle season last from mid November through the first week in February. I'm working on preference points for Iowa myself. I don't know anyone up there and as of right now plan to hunt public. I've been bow hunting Missouri for the last several years and the public land I've hunted is better than the private land here at home. I get very frustrated with our long seasons and liberal harvest quotas. We now have some private land in Missouri, but I'm still looking forward to hunting Iowa.

Reactions: arm
Top Bottom