Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muddy Stick users

nannyslayer

This could just be a freak deal, but this did happen and I thought I would bring it to some of the people using those sticks attention.

On Oct 6 I packed in to hunt an area. I have a set of muddy sticks, and a set of Lone Wolf sticks, and the combo I use is 2 muddy sticks and 3 lone wolf sticks with my set up. I like the longer lone wolfs for straighter trees, and with tree's with a bend or angle on them, the shorter muddy sticks help fill in the gap.

I was setting up in a straight tree. When I do that, I put both muddy sticks on bottom. Got the first one set, second one set, and when I stepped on the second one (about 6-7 feet off the ground) the steps collapsed and went straight down. Now first I thought I had a brain fart and put the stick upside down or something. After gathering myself back up (didn't hurt myself, but was dang sore the next morning) I looked the stick over, and the gears on the inside had came apart. I've never heard of this happening with muddy sticks before, but the stick was basically useless until I brought it home and took it apart and reset the steps. If it would have been a tree with an angle, I may have been 18-20 foot off the ground when the step collapsed, and I doubt I would have just walked away from that.

I'm sticking to the lone wolfs now. Never have had a failure with them, and I just trust the straps on them better anyways.

You might want to look your sticks over good before climbing a tree again. I have never fallen from a stand, or while putting one up, and that shook me up to the point where I am not going to use them high off the ground ever again.

Last edited:
YIKES!! I am glad to hear you were not seriously hurt. But you also have me concerned...as I just bought a set of Muddy climbing sticks last week. I haven't really used them yet other than a quick test of just one stick on a tree in the yard.

How old were these sticks? Was there any warning sign(s) of the failure in advance?

You should go to www.gomuddy.com and send an email to them at the headquarters.. may be something they can check into and possibly warranty for you.. that would be scary.. glad your ok

I would also check to make sure that touch don't have a set of sticks that have been recalled I found out about this last November and immediately want to the closest muddy dealer. Dropped my old sticks off and grabbed a new set. And out the door I went. Muddy will take care of you and the dealer uournhands purchased them from. But defiantly let them know about what happened.

YIKES!! I am glad to hear you were not seriously hurt. But you also have me concerned...as I just bought a set of Muddy climbing sticks last week. I haven't really used them yet other than a quick test of just one stick on a tree in the yard.

How old were these sticks? Was there any warning sign(s) of the failure in advance?

Bought the sticks in 2010. They haven't been used a whole lot, and 2 of them haven't been used at all.

I will be contacting muddy for sure. I used the muddy stand for my portable and love it. Not a better stand out there in my opinion.

Mine were purchased in 2010 and come to find out they were recalled. That may be the problem. Make sure you get hold of muddy if you have any troubles I have a few cell phone numbers I'd be willing to get ahold of them for you. If you have any troubles just shoot me a pm.

Having just bought the Muddy sticks a week ago or so, I still have the box they came in out in the shop. Is there a way to determine the lot # and if these are some of the recalled sticks?

Hum, I was just looking to purchase some Muddy Sticks....Not sure now. May go with the LoneWolf ones now....Damn....I didnt want to hear this. I like the Muddy gear. Is that true they had a problem with this years sticks as well? Would much rather support Muddy!

No problems with my to this point. I bought the stand and sticks early last year and have used them about 10 times. I'll have to look into this recall..

I have yet to have any issues with mine, and in fact, really enjoy using them. You need to contact Muddy for sure and let them know what happened. I am interested in hearing what they have to say to you.

Sent them an email with my contact info and what happened. I'll let you know what they say to me.

I have 3 of their stands, and have no issue's what so ever with them. They are great stands. Never had any problems with their sticks, nor have they ever shown any sign of wear until the step collapsed the other day.

I'm assuming the bolts came loose allowing for the step to shift to the side and dis-engage the gears? You have to keep this stuff tight to be sure and safe. No different than any stick out there - and belts. Check it all guys!

I'm assuming the bolts came loose allowing for the step to shift to the side and dis-engage the gears? You have to keep this stuff tight to be sure and safe. No different than any stick out there - and belts. Check it all guys!

No. Bolts are tight as they can be. The "gears' broke in the step.

I contacted Muddy today, and they are going to replace my sticks. I am very happy with the customer service, and they did say that they have had problems with the older sticks, and they new one's are ok. I have to believe them as all the rest of my equipment is Muddy gear and I trust it.

I contacted Muddy today, and they are going to replace my sticks. I am very happy with the customer service, and they did say that they have had problems with the older sticks, and they new one's are ok. I have to believe them as all the rest of my equipment is Muddy gear and I trust it.

My newly purchased, and not yet used in the field, Muddy sticks look like they are model # 2010-A. I can't find any indication of a lot # or anything like that. I will call tomorrow to see if these are the "old ones" or not.

Thanks for posting this alert Nanny, hopefully it saves someone a terrible accident. Who knows, it may have helped me or my boys to avoid a fall.

The more I read this, the more I think about it. Do you think anyone but yourself is an idiot? I climb 20-28 foot in a tree, do you not think I check my equipment? I have a little 3 year old girl and a wife carring my second child that needs me to come home every night. You have been sucking way too much ozone. I hunt harder than most people even attempt. I hunt new area, pack in most places, and use the crap out of my equipment, in a manor that it will still be usable the next trip (unlike you with a saw for some reason). I check everything regularly, and if anything needs to be done I do it. The stick malfunctioned. The president of the company said I am not the only person that has had this complaint.

Why is it you automatically assume that it is not the equipments fault. Crap happens man, equipment fails. Even a ozone machine will fail once in awhile. I am completely happy with muddy equipment, and as of today with their customer service, I personally do no think there is a better company out there with better quality products and customers device.

But your right. Its probably a mistake on my end. I better run out and get an elite bow and an ozone machine so it doesn't happen again.

Top Bottom