Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Multiflora rose

mole

My timber is overrun with multiflora rose. I know the deer like the cover and I don't mind some, but I can barely walk through some areas.

I've heard that there is a chemical spray that can be used that will only kill plants/trees with thorns, so there is no worry about killing young oaks. Does anyone know what this stuff is called?

mole

Roundup has a product out there that will kill multiflora rose. It is a concentrate and you mix it with water.

Does it kill other plants? I'm worried about killing off my good trees in the timber.

mole

I would let it grow. The multiflora rose will protect the young trees. It will die off in a few years when the trees shade it out. I have planted multiflora rose so that I could get trees started. If the tree grows up in the bush deer are not going to go in and eat all the buds off the tree and stunt its growth. I would let it grow..

Just my opinion..
Deerstroyer

I agree with Deerstroyer...

Try and brushhog/mow trails in order to make access to you stands as well as funnels for the deer by your stands.

As nasty as the stuff is, it sure makes for awesome cover. My hands are scratched to heck every Monday after shed hunting, but there is lots of deer sign in there.

I don't think I could put a dent in the stuff if I tried anyway.
grin.gif

Goats! That's a good link.

I wonder how much the deer like the multifloras? I would like it if there weren't any at all! I know many of you like it due to thinking the deer like it but I think there are better understory forest plants than these. It is hard to find any foresters that like them either and it is listed as one of the top 4 invasive species on our forests. They are hard to get rid of and they do like to try and take over.

I heard crossbow works real well on it. I am planning to spray this june or july. I heard the hotter the weather the more the weed sucks up the spray.

Something I learned many years ago at a controlled burning seminar held at the Indian Creek Nature Center in Cedar Rapids is that multiflora rose hates fire. It is very susceptible to controlled burns and if you can do that safely then you have a viable control technique that really shouldn't cost you much.

Mole- I have the same problem in parts of my timber. I have mowed trails, which both I and the deer use. Makes it nice and quiet to get to your stands and is a good way to get an ATV in when you need to get a deer out.

As for killing it I'm not sure what product you are looking for. I have used plain old 2-4D, 2-3 oz to the gallon and have had pretty good luck. I sprayed in mid summer, dont know what time is best. It killed some really large plants, some where as large as a truck. I'm curious to see if they resprout this year, but it sure seemed to kill them last year. Its fairly cheap to, I used the Farm Service generic, was about $40 for 2 gallons I think. Your father-in-law probably has some already. I also like that it dosent kill the grass around the MFR. Round-up has worked too, but leaves a large dead spot.

Don't know what it would do to young oaks, but I'm guessing it would kill them to. I spot spray 2-4D carefully to avoid select plants.

I only sprayed the plants that kept growing into my trails as I did not want to thin out the timber any. I also sprayed the first 30 yards or so right behind the house so I can see into the timber a bit.

I'd let it go also. You can use it as an indicator. Deer will eat it, they don't like it but if they are eating it then for sure you have to many deer.

I've been dealing with it on my farm for about 7 years. Knowing it would really take off once I did tsi I killed it on two ridges ahead of time. Now I wish I hadn't those two areas seem to get less deer use than areas with more mfr (multifloral rose).

Also,about the time I decided I liked it for cover the roseacia (sp?) disease got to my place and started killing the fmr. It has pretty well eliminated it in open areas. They are dying slower in the woods. My guess is that the mite that spreads the fungus prefers sunlit areas.

I do the same as mentioned above. I make trails either by hand or with a brush hog for me and the deer. Plan them carefully because they really influence deer movement.

If you still want to get rid of the mfr you can use a basal spray. The name escapes me at the moment. I mixed it with disiel fuel and applied it with a back pack sprayer. I just walked through the woods pumping the sprayer with one hand and spraying the base of target plants with another. Feb-March is a great time to do this because you can easily see where the base of the plant is. You can also spot oak seedlings, gooseberry bushes or anything else you want to save so it is much more selective than roundup use after leaf out.

Hope this helps.
grin.gif

Old Buck

My Dad has been using Crosbow to clear it in his pastures and it works pretty decent. I think it is a blend of 2-4-D and something else, it doesn't kill the grass around the bush.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like some spot spraying, mowing, and bloody hands will be in my future.
grin.gif

mole

Top Bottom