Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzle Laoder Failures

Yikes. That’s spooky stuff. Wonder what kinda $ gets paid out for those injuries? Knowing about weighing powder- SOME of those r likely user error

Being a crazy kid, I got a reloader I bought from my teacher in 7th grade for shotgun shells. (Times have changed!!!)...... me and my maniac buddies thought it was cool to double the powder for a “magnum load”. It was!!! Then I had to push it with a triple load of powder..... 3” “mega magnum”...... had to trim wad to almost nothing & maybe 20 BB’s fit. 75% powder in that shell. No joke. (Bright young kids!!!!!). Who’s gonna shoot it???? ME!!!! Braced the newer Winchester semi auto... kinda squinted & turned head away......... FIRE BALL explosion like u couldn’t imagine. Splinters of gun all over. The bolt blew out of receiver & shot into ground a foot deep right next to buddies foot. Mangled steel & splintered wood everywhere. Light burns & minor scratches as it should have blown my face off.
I didn’t realize until later.... buddy brought the million pieces of gun Back to Walmart & got a new gun- no ?’s asked! 5 star review for Walmart!!! We were absolute idiots that should be on that “Darwin’s list of deaths” email.
B careful with this stuff! My kids better not do 1/100th the dumb stuff I did. ;)

Yikes. That’s spooky stuff. Wonder what kinda $ gets paid out for those injuries? Knowing about weighing powder- SOME of those r likely user error

Being a crazy kid, I got a reloader I bought from my teacher in 7th grade for shotgun shells. (Times have changed!!!)...... me and my maniac buddies thought it was cool to double the powder for a “magnum load”. It was!!! Then I had to push it with a triple load of powder..... 3” “mega magnum”...... had to trim wad to almost nothing & maybe 20 BB’s fit. 75% powder in that shell. No joke. (Bright young kids!!!!!). Who’s gonna shoot it???? ME!!!! Braced the newer Winchester semi auto... kinda squinted & turned head away......... FIRE BALL explosion like u couldn’t imagine. Splinters of gun all over. The bolt blew out of receiver & shot into ground a foot deep right next to buddies foot. Mangled steel & splintered wood everywhere. Light burns & minor scratches as it should have blown my face off.
I didn’t realize until later.... buddy brought the million pieces of gun Back to Walmart & got a new gun- no ?’s asked! 5 star review for Walmart!!! We were absolute idiots that should be on that “Darwin’s list of deaths” email.
B careful with this stuff! My kids better not do 1/100th the dumb stuff I did. ;)

Wowza, I wish I could see a picture of the gun.

Interesting, if he had it loaded the same as every other time, why did it knock him backwards? Shouldn't the energy transferred to him been the same even if the barrel failed? I would even think maybe less recoil due to more of the energy being absorbed by the barrel during failure?
I love my ml11 and my daughter shoots it as well . If there is a real danger I certainly want to know. I just have a hard time believing it's loaded properly when I see a mushroomed barrel.

Not saying Savage is totally blameless because I think a "smokeless" muzzleloader is a really bad idea to begin with, but the gun in the picture shows the classic signs of an improperly seated bullet. You can have the correct amount of the "recommended" powder in a muzzleloader and still blow it up if there is too much space between the breech and the slug. I would think adding smokeless powder to the mix would exacerbate the problem. Always, always mark your ramrod and pay attention that you have seated the load to that mark. It is a pain to have to pull the breech plug on an inline, dump the powder, and push the bullet on through. It's even more of a pain with a side lock when you have to try to pull the bullet out the muzzle end. However, that pain is far less than what you get as you watch blood gush out of what once was your fingers or worse yet the pain of a family having to bury a son, daughter, spouse, parent or grand parent.

Be careful out there guys and gals. The only winners in this situation will be the attorneys.

Top Bottom