Muzzleloader Advice

Discussion in 'Muzzleloading and Traditional Archery' started by sep0667, Aug 22, 2018.

1. sep0667

sep0667 Land of the Whitetail

I know I can search through the older threads, but want to start a new one. I'm in the market for a new muzzleloader. I have never had a muzzleloader before. I've been wanting to get one for the past couple years and its time.

Any brands or model that seem to have a strong consensus to suggest or to stay away from? .45 or. 50 caliber? I guess the only feature that I would really like to have is a thumb hole stock, but that's not a necessity.

Any and all advise welcome!

2. AdBot Guest Advertisement

3. Tim Hull

Tim Hull PMA Member

Get a smokeless muzzleloader.

4. Nrharris

Nrharris New Member

I've been very happy with my CVA accura v2, but always open to something better.

5. bigbuckhunter88

bigbuckhunter88 PMA Member

Accura V2. 50 Cal. Get the blackhorn breech and shoot that. If money is no option go smokeless

jjohnson likes this.
  6. 4DABUCKS

4DABUCKS PMA Member

Had a tc pro hunter for 3 yrs, could never get groups like I expected and consistency just wasn't there. I sold the tc and bought a 50 cal accura v2 last nov. I shoot 90 grains by volume of blackhorn and Barnes 250 gr bullets. After owning a couple of different muzzleloaders in the past I can finally say i can shoot 3 in groups at 100 yds. I know some shoot much better and with smokeless even better yet but for me I'm very happy with the cva. Best of luck in your search.

7. Swampy_44

Swampy_44 Member

buy a cva hunter, took mine outta the store for $299 after taxes. sent it off to a guy, he threaded it and installed a breech plug for $190. so under $500 you can have a smokeless gun. money is a issue for me but there are ways to get a smokeless gun without breaking the bank.

8. Tmayer13

Tmayer13 Active Member

i have a TC pro hunter with an after market barrel and it is crazy accurate. I absolutely love my gun, now with that being said if i was going to get one today.....no doubt it would be smokeless...spend the money and do it right the first time...now if you maybe you dont have 1500$ for a gun then go to any place and buy a CVA for 200$...play with some different loads and find what works best and youll have yourself a nice 150+ yard gun

9. LYON

LYON PMA Member

If you're looking to go budget just to try it out, go with a cva wolf or optima. The next recommended step up would be a cva accurate V2. Any of the CVA's will take a blackhorn breech plug. Blackhorn 209 is the powder to shoot unless you go smokeless. Last option and the highest price would be a smokeless muzzleloader. Phenomenal guns!

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

10. blackpowder72

blackpowder72 Member

I have a CVA Accura MR and a TC Triumph for sale if interested. Both are in the classifieds.

11. KSHUNTER

KSHUNTER PMA Member

I'll also say that I have been impressed with my CVA Accura V2. The gun has a great trigger and shoots great. I shoot Blackhorn 209 with the Blackhorn breech plug and have had great results. I really like the combination.

My gun will really stack Hornady SST with Harvester Crush Sabots, but I wasn't impressed with the performance of the SST. Switched to Barnes TEZ and have had great results on deer, groups opened up a little, but I haven't played much with powder and sabot combinations on the Barnes as much, still very acceptable groups.

12. DannoBoone

DannoBoone New Member

If you buy a CVA Hunter in .45-70 for conversion, beware the loads used. It cannot handle the loads people use in converted
    bolt action rifles.