Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader Bullets

Problem with those was even with my vortek ldr and 110grns of blackhorn 209 I couldnt get decent expansion. 2 Bucks I shot with those died fast, due to heart shot and a double lung, but the bullets seemed to pencil through leaving small holes and really no blood trails. If it hadnt been for shooting them in large open fields they may have been tougher to find, especially the lung shot buck.

Ive never seen this happen with a tipped barnes. Ive got a picture of a lung shot deer that you could stick a beer can in the exit of. As long as barnes is still making bullets im going to keep ramming them down my barrel

Idk why they didnt work for me. If they work for you, by all means keep using them. Maybe I had a bad bad or lot. Barnes are famous for a reason

Here's a chart I put together quick to show the different energy output from different Barnes bullets. The bullet info I got straight from Barnes webstie, the velocity info I took from Blackhorn 209's website (Based on the correct bullets). I plugged the values in to an app called Strelok on my Droid. Pretty interesting to see how the heavier bullets really retain there velocity and thus their energy. The bullet drop is assuming a 100 yard zero. The values may and will vary based on gun, but it's still pretty neat to see the comparison.

Neat chart. While I am of fan of the Barnes Expanders, I do wonder, how does a 300 grain Parker MH leaving the barrel at 2,650 FPS with a BC of 0.42 compare?

Neat chart. While I am of fan of the Barnes Expanders, I do wonder, how does a 300 grain Parker MH leaving the barrel at 2,650 FPS with a BC of 0.42 compare?

Zeroed at 100, 4.5" low at 200 and 15.5" low at 300. 3580 ft-lb at 200 and 3025 ft-lb at 300.

A Barnes Spit Fire Expander MZ 245 grain pushed by 90 grains of Blackhorn 209, shoulder shot (almost broadside, maybe slight quartering to) at 8-10 yards; did not pass through. Watched the deer fold at about 100 yards, little to no blood trail walking up to it. Did the bullet fail?

Top Bottom