Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader FYI

Bakes

I spoke with a gunsmith at T/C today about the pitting inside of my Encore 50 cal. barrel. He asked me the process in which I clean my barrel prior to putting it in the cabinet for the summer. I told him that I used No.13 to clean it then ran some Bore Butter down to lube it. He recommended that I did not use bore butter because it acts as a sealer and seals moisture in the barrel which is causing my pitting problem. He said to use Hoppe's #9 as your last lube. This is the second Encore barrel that this has happened to of mine. Anyone else hd this problem and do you use bore butter?

i don't use it because of what you said already. I just make sure mine is clean and dry, then slop up the barrel inside and out with gun oil. simple and cheap.

Mr. Knight himself has published his opinion that Bore Butter will indeed do this to the inside of a barrel. This was based on a great deal of scientific research on his behalf.

Unfortunately, that is something that I MUST do in order to get my bullets to seat in my T/C Omega.

Here's an idea. Apply Bore Butter before shooting. Use scalding water to clean the gun. Then use Hoppes #9 and oil the crud out of it before putting it away. Just make sure all oil is gone before you do the Bore-Butter-job prior to your next shoot.

Hmmm....thought of something else. Swab the barrel liberally with denatured alcohol after cleaning it. THEN lube it with bore butter. The denatured alcohol will evaporate any residual moisture that was not removed after cleaning the bore with the scalding water.

Top Bottom