Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader Noob

isu22andy

Never hunted with and or shot a muzzleloader . Probably could load one but not with out damaging myself and or the gun . That said , I'm willing to give it a go this year . I'd spend 4-500 on the gun no problem if it was WORTH it , but I have a hard time seeing the difference in CVA optima vs Acura . Ease , speed of loading and cleaning , and range are important to me . Any suggestions ? Do I need to save some more pennies ?

I've said it before. CVA Accura V2. Hands down favorite muzzleloader I've shot, cleaned, and loaded. Love the accuracy at a good price point.

Quit being cheap and buy the new Remington. You won't even have to get out of the truck with that one.

I would go with stainless and stay away from blued. CVA makes a pretty good ML for the money and the Accura would be my choice of the two you mentioned. I have a TC but they were a lot cheaper when I got mine, but really like how my Encore feels compared to the CVA's who pretty much tried to copy it. I like a break open ML versus one with a bolt and agree on using Blackhorn 209 and would stay away from Powerbelts which do and will kill deer, but I think Barnes has a better product and performance. Plan on getting a good scope because some of the cheaper ones just don't seem to hold up. Never shot the new Remington they came out with, but you'd better hope you really like muzzle loading for that price and would probably go smokeless before paying that much for it.

Konus Pro scopes that come on many of the CVAs worth it ? or should I just get the scope ringed version and look for a better scope... Ive never heard of Konus optics

My brothers have them on their ML and no problems with them. They seem to be a pretty good scope for the money.

I did just the one piece rings when I bought my accura v2. Went with a cabelas brand muzzloader scope and have been happy. Have friends that went with the konus and didn't complain. Not sure any of us are shooting anything at 250 yds though either.

I like my Encore Pro-hunter but it had a defective barrel so I bought a Accura V2 for the season with the barrel that's weather-proof or whatever. I'd never get blued, echo above. Now, both my guns have Bergarra barrels. My TC I had to special order, CVA owns em so comes standard. Shooting Barnes TMZ or whatever with Rib Crusher sabots & CCI mag primers. Only thing I do that's un-popular is I think this season I'll stick with 777. I did BH 209, I just don't know if I dare do it again. I just had several "problems" with it that spooked me out and I just don't think I dare do it again, but I'm in the vast minority. 777 pellets... I think it's maybe 100-150 FPS slower when I go max 777 vs max on the BH209. But, for me, I just shoot the ML so little (vs like my bow) & I could care less about cleaning because I maybe shoot one shot during ML season or a few shots a year re-checking it after it's sighted in SO the cleaning part is 0 part of the impact/importance for ME. Simplicity & confidence are my main things and i am just spooked on the BH209 but again, it's probably in my head and I know 99% would disagree with me on that.
I think my next ML will be smokeless and maybe get one before next season BUT if I did that, I'd probably spend a lot more time on it and learn this stuff better than I do now. So, I suppose, smokeless in contradictory to my whole premise of 777 out of my bergarra CVA & TC but we'll see. My prediction ;)...... Every year I'll mess with the ML, upgrade, change, get fussy and every year, I'll just end up shooting everything with the bow anyways making all my thinking & energy a big waste. Sure is fun though! :)

TC Strike, easiest to clean hands down, accurate as it gets combined with a Leupold Ultimate Slam Scope

cva accura v2 with the new nitride finish. Lifetime warrenty against rust....add some blackhorn 209 powder and a barnes or harvester bullet and your good to go!

Ok back on to the stupid questions, I'll be shooting blackhorn through my muzzy this late season. Obviously the temps between outside and inside are going to draw moisture to the powder. Do you guys that shoot blackhorn unload after every hunt? Once a day? Leave it loaded and take primer out? What is the best way to do this? Unload it and waste powder? Assuming it ruins the bullet as well? Again I'm sure it's a stupid question but thanks in advance!

Once I load it for hunting I leave it some place cold for the weekend. If Temps are really cold I would unload it during the week and reload it the next time time you hunt. I personally have a safe place to keep it that is uninsulated and is as cold as it is outside.

Mine stays in the garage or under the back seat of the pickup and I don't unload it during late season and I clean it after the season is over.

My Knight disc extreme has always got the job done; I'd get a SS barrel whatever you choose. I've only ever shot Barnes sabots with 777 and I've never had any issues with hang ups or misfires. Cleaning is cumbersome, but if you get the right solvents, clean up time gets cut in half. I reload probably every 1-2 hunts depending on how much moisture is in the air. To swap out loads, I'll pull the breech plug and let the pellets fall out the back, then push the sabot out the front. This is why I prefer pellets, way easier to swap out for a fresh load. I've heard too many horror stories from guys who load it once and hunt for a week or two straight; that kind of laziness will cost you eventually. It's dangerous as well. I have a bud who did that and he never went back out again that season. He forgot it was still loaded the next yet and when he went to shoot it the first time he put in a primer to burn up any leftover oil residue and BOOM!

Just make sure to read your owners manual and follow what they recommend.

Top Bottom