Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader Patterning Trouble

shooter72

I have been having all kinds of trouble getting my Knight Extreme .50 caliber Muzzleloader to pattern. As far as the bullet is concerned, I have been using Thompson Center Shockwave Sabots, .50 caliber, 250 grain. I put a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 scope on it. At 50 yards, i can only get it to shoot in about a 2 foot diameter, and at 100 yards, it seems to be all over the place. I was curious if anyone had any suggestions.

How much powder are you using? If your punching holes all over your likely using too much powder. Here are some other tips that maybe helpful..........

Make sure your barrel is cleaned after every shot. (At least while your sighting the gun).
Make sure your loads are packed the same every time. (mark your ramrod)
Try a different bullets and weights. Mine didn't like shock waves very much.

Is this a new gun, or one that you have used in the past and just put a new scope on it? It sounds to me like shovelbuck said bad scope or loose rings / base. I had the same problem with mine until I put lock tite on everything. You should be able to touch the bullets at 50 yards with that gun.

I have been using two pellets of triple seven. It says that each pellet is equivalent to 50 grain volume, so 100 grains of pellets. I shot it with open sights only about 5 times, and only at 50 yards. It seemed to be roughly within a foot to foot and a half, but at times, it seems that I can do that at 50 yards with the scope. I haven't heard of getting a bad scope before. I will check the rings tomorrow and make sure they are tight. As far as using the sabots and two pellets, is the way to go, or should I change my ways. Right now, I am ready to start over, so I"m looking for advice.

Although ML barrels are much better than they used to be, sometimes they can be pretty finicky and it may take a few different combinations of bullets and powder before you get it dialed in. I've heard good things about Barnes Muzzleloader MZ Sabots although I havn't used them yet. Buy the smallest amount you can cause you might have to try a few different kinds.

Is this a brand new never opened bow of 777? We noticed that with 777 we would open a box of pellets, sight in with them and not use the whole box. So we'd close it up, put it away for the year and pull it out before next season. Then we experienced the same problem you are...was frustrating. A buddy then directed us towards Black Horn 209 powder...it is definately worth a try as well as Barnes Bullets!

not sure if it is still true, but TC and knight used to use different methods of rifling their barrels, which resulted in miniscule differences in barrel diameter. knights never used to like TC's powerbelts. you might try knight ammo. i think knight still sells barnes bullets, try some of them

not sure if it is still true, but TC and knight used to use different methods of rifling their barrels, which resulted in miniscule differences in barrel diameter. knights never used to like TC's powerbelts. you might try knight ammo. i think knight still sells barnes bullets, try some of them

Ditto...what T-roy said

Shovelbuck, you weren't being rude at all. Here's what I found. After posting, I did check the rings, and I was able to tighten the rings a couple of turns. I haven't been able to shoot the gun again, and don't know if I will within the next week, but I am hoping that this was the problem, this could explain the inability to group well. I feel somewhat stupid to think that it was the gun that was causing troubles, and here, all it may have took was an Allen wrench and a couple of turns. I will try to use that idea of starting my sighting in process at 12.5 yards. Do you guys still think I may need to switch from TC bullets to something else. Could a couple of turns make that big of a difference.

Shovelbuck, you weren't being rude at all. Here's what I found. After posting, I did check the rings, and I was able to tighten the rings a couple of turns. I haven't been able to shoot the gun again, and don't know if I will within the next week, but I am hoping that this was the problem, this could explain the inability to group well. I feel somewhat stupid to think that it was the gun that was causing troubles, and here, all it may have took was an Allen wrench and a couple of turns. I will try to use that idea of starting my sighting in process at 12.5 yards. Do you guys still think I may need to switch from TC bullets to something else. Could a couple of turns make that big of a difference.

I wouldn't buy any more bullets than I had to. Try the Shockwaves 1st. From a solid rest make two 25 yard shots without moving your scope and cleaning between each shot. If your shots land on top or very close to each other, your in the money. If you still have issues then move on.

If you got more than 1.5turns out of each screw I would put green money down says that was your problem. Im suprised the scope didnt slide back towards your face after 10shots.

Open sight, newer muzzleloaders shouldnt have an issue with 6in groups at 50yards open sights.

Top Bottom