Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzleloader ?

bkcrrtnps

Sighting in my optima, do any of u guys use 3 white hots instead of 2? If so what are your thoughts?

I would put the white hots back in the cupboard and get a jug of blackhorn 209.
The best thing since canned beer for accuracy, consistency and the cleanest powder I've ever shot. I've been using it for 2 seasons now after switching from whitehots.
When I did shoot whitehots I only shot 2 pellets. It did the job, I know there are a few guys shooting 3 but I'm not sure most guns are rated for that charge.

I would put the white hots back in the cupboard and get a jug of blackhorn 209.
The best thing since canned beer for accuracy, consistency and the cleanest powder I've ever shot. I've been using it for 2 seasons now after switching from whitehots.
When I did shoot whitehots I only shot 2 pellets. It did the job, I know there are a few guys shooting 3 but I'm not sure most guns are rated for that charge.

^^^^^THIS.....Blackhorn 209 is the shizznit.

I started off with 120 grains and a 290 grain barnes. The recoil was amazing!!
Accuracy was so so... I dropped down to 250 grain bullet and it was more manageable and the accuracy improved.
I messed around a lot and found that my encore shoots the best with 110 grains and a 250 grain barnes t-ez. I've never had any problems anchoring deer and its real pleasant to shoot. That extra 10 grains doesn't gain you much velocity but every gun will be different.
I've killed deer from 10 yards - 200+ bullet performes great at all distances

I bought a jug of BH 209 to try in my optima. Other than a cleaner barrel I can't say that I see any other advantage over the white hots.
And to be honest, loading BH is a pain the rear. I measured out 100 and 120 grains into my old pellet tubes to use them as speed loaders. It still sucked.
Unless I'm at the range and firing multiple shots, the advantage of a cleaner barrel is lost. Once this tub is gone I'm going back to white hots.

Depending on your scope mounts. I would get it right on at 50 and then see what it does at 100. It might suprise you. You could end up being right on or maybe a little high from my experience. ..
Worst case you end up low by an inch or so if you have a low mount and low rings.

I'm thinking my brother goes about 1.5" high at 50, so then he's zeroed at 125. Shooting 110 grains pyrodex pellets and 250 grain TC bullet. Does that sound right?

The only reason to crank your powder up would be to shoot further flatter shots right? With two pellets you should be just fine out to 100 yards easily. Sight in an inch high or so at 50 and as long as you get good groups you should be fine at 100. If your goal is to shoot past 100 don't do it without practice and knowing exactly what your bullet is doing at that distance. Quite a few years ago my brother, dad and I started loading 150 grains of pyrodex rather than 100 with the thought of being able to get some more range if needed. Ended up being a bad decision. We missed more deer in those years than ever before. Lots because we didn't do what we should have and really know what our guns were doing out past 100 yards (our fault entirely) but I think that much powder was making our shots sporadic and not consistent. Anyway, my point is if you are putting good groups at 50 with your current setup, don't change anything unless you are able to test it. Oh, and switch to blackhorn 209 powder! The stuff is awesome!

Top Bottom