Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Muzzy Gun

Ried#3

i haven’t been been muzzy hunting and I think it’s time I dove in. What would you say are the top 3 guns out there? CVA, Traditions? What should I stear clear from?

Last edited:
CVA and Thompson Center are probably the most popular. Knight makes good guns but they need to get with the program and make a good break action that's easy to clean. If you really want to dive in, get a custom smokeless from arrowhead sporting goods in Mount Vernon. Phenomenal guns!

yup, arrowhead. Brux Barrel, about $800. You might have $1,100 into it before glass and you will have a legit 300 yard gun with way better ballistics, ease of cleaning, can actually see after shooting, etc, etc.

yup, arrowhead. Brux Barrel, about $800. You might have $1,100 into it before glass and you will have a legit 300 yard gun with way better ballistics, ease of cleaning, can actually see after shooting, etc, etc.

I know a few guys that run arrowhead customs and they shoot incredible groups out to 500! Granted you gotta know what your gun is doing at those kinds of ranges, but the potential is there.

I really like the looks of the new ignition system Arrowhead is using. My only question is in regards to the bullet sizing. How important is it...and what is really involved?

I know a few guys that run arrowhead customs and they shoot incredible groups out to 500! Granted you gotta know what your gun is doing at those kinds of ranges, but the potential is there.

yes you can go out to 500+ on the bolt action custom guns. I don't think that's the case on the 209 TC conversions.

I really like the looks of the new ignition system Arrowhead is using. My only question is in regards to the bullet sizing. How important is it...and what is really involved?

The longer range you want to shoot accurately, the more important it is to custom size to your individual barrel. Requires the sizing die and access to a sturdy single stage reloading press. Really pretty easy to do.

Ok- so - wanna make sure I have this correct or suggestions from u guys..... I have a TC pro hunter. Bargerra barrel which now CVA owns. Gun had warranty defect and it’s sitting in my gun safe. Never shot it. Bought a CVA to get me through season- was really pleased with it.

SO..... to go to smokeless - would u all suggest, if it were u - would u prefer to convert the TC or would u just sell it and get a bolt action Smokeless? I don’t need 500 yards but as much accuracy as possible is always nice. Just want quality, accuracy and simplicity. And no- don’t wanna drop $5k on some of Those crazy priced smokeless u can find. I think I’ve seen some nice bolt actions for below $2k. But- what would u do in this case- convert or go with a certain specific smokeless build that’s not crazy insane priced? ($2k or lower). Thx!! Good stuff here!

Call Luke at Arrowhead Sporting Goods and have a chat with him. He's a good guy and will help you make the decision based on what you want, not what he would like to sell you.

I would have him build a bolt action. Not sure 2k will do it, but close (before glass). I will be doing that next.

If a guy already has a compatible gun like the encore it's a no brainer to spend the 800-900 to go smokeless. The 1,100 comes in if you have to buy a gun to start with.

http://www.arrowheadsporting.com/
So, for kits - looks like his "insane" gun is his "ARROW HEAD ML" but it's $3500 + accessories & scope, etc - looking at pry about $5k. Since I don't have "IowaBowHunter1983 type $" & that's 100,000 pop and beer cans I'd need to collect on my route.... I'm thinking the next best option (yes, preference understood) would be:
the 700ML Package? Which would get you around the $2k mark without scope. SUPERIOR BY SUBSTANTIAL AMOUNT?.... OR - would you go with the TC Encore route? OK - I AM EDITING THIS.... I just saw from above, my TC PRO HUNTER IS THE SAME OR WILL WORK THE SAME AS THE ENCORE - GOOD!!! And sorry for repeat of question & response, I do see a lot from above.

thanks a lot. I do think a SIMPLE 300 yard gun would be PLENTY for me. SO.... As I type this, thinking out loud, 300 yards, simple, quality, confident & very accurate to 300 & reasonably priced, is fine by me & likely the way to go. Basically, 700ML or Converting my PRO HUNTER.... LEANING TOWARDS PRO HUNTER since it's easy, lower cost, solid to 300, etc - unless you think 700ML a better gun by a good bit? And yes, I'll give him a call too. Any help here though, much appreciated as usual!

Last edited:
Top Bottom