Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My son and I spent . . .

Bakes

My son Tyler who is ten years old and I spent our first hunt in Iowa together this past weekend. This was his first trip to Iowa to visit our property. He loves to spend time outdoors especially hunting with his dad.
Friday morning was uneventful however we must have heard close to 100 gobbles within the first 2 hours of our hunt. I was set-up in a new spot that I have never tried before and won't ever try again but the four hours in the tent we had some great conversations. Then on Saturday morning I called in seven mature tom's all together and was debating which one to shoot and attempting to help my son get the video camera on the right bird. At this point I basically realized that I had waited to long and the birds were further out than I had judge and shot just under the bird nicking his leg with my broadhead. We were a little down in the dumps at that point but I knew that we still had a good chance to tag out the next day. The morning prooved good however the birds seem to be a little decoy shy, I called in three toms to 50 yards but they just wouldn't commit. Then in the afternoon I tried a new method for me, walk and call every 30-40 yards for a couple hundred yards and then set up the Doule Bull. Well after about 150 yards of doing this the tom had already closed the distance while trying to get set up he appeared at 20 yards and I took him with one shot from my shotgun. My son Tyler was jumping up and down high fives were flying all around, the excitement for him was unbelievable. We looked over the bird and retold the story 4-5 times in the next few minutes. After looking at the bird closely we noticed that he had a fresh broadhead slice across the back of his left leg from my arrow the morning before. It was a great experience to say the least
grin.gif
. Sorry for the picture quality I had to scan it in to my computer.

Beard 9 3/4
Spur 1 1/8
Weight 23 Lbs.

89506Turkey_for_web.jpg

That is awesome, congrats on a great bird. I guess the second time was the charm.
smile.gif

Great job, I think I enjoy reading the father/son or father/daughter stories the best. I am taking both of my boys out turkey hunting this Saturday and am already looking forward to it. Hopefully we can come back with a story like yours. Congrats!

Something tells me though that we will end doing some mushroom hunting too!
grin.gif

Top Bottom