Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My thoughts on leasing

Hardcorehunter

UL Shelter/Stove Geek
Labor or farm help is all I would give for hunting privileges.. Cut a guy a load of firewood but under no circumstances give cash. Leasing land and paying for hunting with cash is a bad idea IMO and is ruining hunting. I wonder what would happen if all hunters boycotted leasing land? Sky would fall????

I kind of felt the same way, then I paid to hunt the 4H camp. I didn't really feel bad about it though because the money went back into the camp to make improvements for the kids but it is still leasing I guess. So I guess I would be the pot calling the kettle black if I bashed it.

Hey Liv, that is smart business budy. Your "donation" for hunting is a tax write off. Brilliant! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

There is nothing wrong with a landowner leasing ground for cash. Why should anyone expect to have a quality hunting experience and not be willing to help support the landowner?

I lease land. Guess I am now ruining hunting? Huh, and to think I was buying all those does tags and killing all those does trying to do my part. Guess I'll just sit back and wait for the big buck on public. Maybe I could go and fight with people on public who are sitting in my stand!!!LOL

Guess I will bow out of this topic. Got a feeling my opinions won't be liked in this topic!

I don't lease BUT I see both sides, to me here's both sides.

PRO- I have property where my hunts are constantly ruined by others. Young bucks I pass (part of QDM) get shot by all the others on the land and some rarely shoot does. QDM (for many reasons) becomes very hard. Farmers rent and get rent from everything from crop rent, cows, etc. They have expensive costs such as payments and taxes. Should hunters expect to use this hugely expensive private ground for free OR if they want ground for free should they use Public ground? This could be a solution to the hard-working hunter who wants to improve his/her hunting opportunities for quality and enjoyment.

CON- Leaves the "best" hunting to people with $ ($ at many levels- like 100 acres all the way to thousands of acres). some leased ground does not get enough deer shot off (does), too high levels. Removes local families who probably don't have the money and have hunted ground for years. Takes the purity out of hunting with the commercialization taking over.

Those are my honest and 2-sided thoughts.

For the first time EVER, I can't believe I'm saying this, my wife and I are leasing a couple small acreages this year. I'll be paying for it by mowing lawns this summer -- I HATE mowing other people's lawns, funny what hunting can do to a fella. We're leasing from friends, so we won't have to pay a whole lot, but the ground isn't the best in the world either. It's becoming sink or swim around here, and we don't want to become bait. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif By the way, like we found out last year, farm labor doesn't always cut it anymore...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: THA4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have no problems with leasing, it would suck to loose the ground i have access to because someone came in waving money around, but when i have the money i will be putting it towards the privacy and guaruntee of that property.....
i say it is worth the money spent, AND i do not feel it lowers the quality of hunting. In fact i feel it increases the quality of my hunting! </div></div>

How is the quality of your hunt going to be when you don't have any ground to hunt?

Talk to some locals in Pike County...ask them about the quality of their hunting... /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

I've always envied you guys in IA, but I might not in about 5 years. The very high quality of your hunting land just might bite you one day. Around my neck of the woods you can lease ground pretty reasonably, especially if you know the owners; not all of Kansas is this way for sure. I can't imagine trying to lease ground as a resident of IA, I'd be mowing about 20 lawns a week!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It would suck to loose the ground i have access to because someone came in waving money around. </div></div>

You already answered the question Thomas...

Yes, you will have to make a lot of sacrifices to own hunting ground...but, think about THA5 and it will be worth it.

Ok, Ok,...got it, I understand,...stop yelling at me! /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

Interesting how as this site has grown, more and more members here are leasing or at least willing to admit it. /forum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

No, I can't argue with the landowner who needs some money.

What really bugs me are the kids not being able to get access when they get to the age they want to go off and knock on some doors. Then you have the blue collar guys who've been raised hunt'n and fish'n and their getting priced out/pushed out. You guys look at it however you want, but don't deny what it does to the overall picture.

Thing is, if you're leasing and somebody from out of state (a stronger economy) comes in and blows your offer out of the water, IMO you have no right to complain either. That's the nature of that business. Once you make it business, it's business.

The whole reason hunting and the hunting industry has thrived to this point is because a large portion of society had reasonable license fee's and easy access to hunting grounds. This is changing and so will the popularity and participation in hunting. It may not be apparent in our lifetime, but unless something changes...mark my words.

God am I ready for the snow to melt!

Top Bottom