Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

My weekend project (haybale Blind)

ARbowhtr said:
What is straw matting, is that something you made your self? That thing does look nice.

It is Erosion control blanket that has netting and the straw is sewn in I purchased it at a landscape supply company

Good luck, I bet if they are used to seeing hay bales they will not notice. I have never notice how deer react to a new hay bale though, they may still stay out of range for a few days.

Had 2 does go by at 25yards and they didn't pay any attention to the bale blind

ForumRunner_20121108_183520.jpg

View from the blind.

I do not have any experience with cattle panel but I see tractor supply company sells a 16'x50" piece of cattle panel for $20. Would I be able to flex it to shape like a bale or would I have to cut it on half and connect them?

I do not have any experience with cattle panel but I see tractor supply company sells a 16'x50" piece of cattle panel for $20. Would I be able to flex it to shape like a bale or would I have to cut it on half and connect them?

MNbuck,
The cattle pannels I used were 16' X60" I believe but they were used and the bottom side had been down in the dirt and were pretty rotted and the wires were breaking away. I'm 6'4" and wanted a fairly big blind. I designed mine so it was aproximately 6' long and the bale was 6' in diameter (a little bigger than an actual bale). The base I built was 4' x 6' so it took two panels and cut the bad ends off each one and cut them down to 36" each. I also cut them down to 14' in length. I started cutting them with a cutting torch which seemed to work ok, but then my dad came down and being a little older and wiser than me he put a cutting disc on his hand grinder and it cut through them like butter. My guess is if you want to build a blind with the same dimensions as mine you will need at least 3 of the panels you mentioned. Two for the bale part and one to cap off both ends.

Do you have enough room for 2 in it? And can you comfortably shoot a bow out of a couple of different windows?? Thanks...looks very nice :way:

NWBuck

Pete,

First off, thanks for the visuals on this project. Very thought provoking. Second, are the panels under enough stress so that high winds do not effect the shape of the blind much. I was just wondering if any type of inside frame was needed.

Looks great.

Do you have enough room for 2 in it? And can you comfortably shoot a bow out of a couple of different windows?? Thanks...looks very nice :way:

NWBuck

NW there is easily enough room for 2 people and you can easily draw and shoot a bow from any of the windows. However if you had 2 people in it, I think it would be tricky to bowhunt out of unless the second person is very small.

Pete,

First off, thanks for the visuals on this project. Very thought provoking. Second, are the panels under enough stress so that high winds do not effect the shape of the blind much. I was just wondering if any type of inside frame was needed.

Looks great.

Bjohnson I have not had any problem with wind and it has been sitting on top of a hill since the beginning of November with nothing more than the panels as support. I did have a little mishap when I was hauling it to the field. I failed to strap it down when hauling it out to the field on the loader tractor/bale lift. I hit a bump and it tipped off the loader and oblonged the shape somewhat, did not hurt it structurally though and I think I can fix it this spring when I get it back to the shop. I will be making another!

Looks like a great design pete! I have been trying to find an easy blind to build that I can shoot my bow out of and I think this would be perfect! Thanks for the good info and pictures

Great lookin blind. Been wantin to make one of these for a couple years, but never seem to find the time! Or supplies just laying around! How heavy is that with the 4x4 floor? Just wondering how portable it would be for one guy. Also, how did you hinge the door/windows?

Last edited:
Top Bottom