Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Native Wildflowers and Plants

Tall Larkspur:

<TABLE class=product-properties cellSpacing=0 summary=Details><TBODY><TR><TD class=property-name>Sun Exposure</TD><TD class=property-value>Prairie , Savanna </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Soil</TD><TD class=property-value>Mesic , Dry Mesic </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Bloom Time</TD><TD class=property-value>July , August </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Color</TD><TD class=property-value>Purple </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Height</TD><TD class=property-value>4 feet </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Delphinium-exaltatum-Tall-Larkspur-close-up.jpg

Last edited:
Joe Pyeweed:

<TABLE class=product-properties cellSpacing=0 summary=Details><TBODY><TR><TD class=property-name>Sun Exposure</TD><TD class=property-value>Prairie , Savanna </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Soil</TD><TD class=property-value>Wet , Wet Mesic </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Bloom Time</TD><TD class=property-value>June , July , August </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Color</TD><TD class=property-value>Pink </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Height</TD><TD class=property-value>5 feet </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Eupatorium-maculatum-Joe-Pye-Weed-closeup.jpg

Saw-Tooth Sunflower:

<TABLE class=product-properties cellSpacing=0 summary=Details><TBODY><TR><TD class=property-name>Height:</TD><TD class=property-value>8 feet</TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Sun Exposure</TD><TD class=property-value>Prairie , Savanna </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Soil</TD><TD class=property-value>Wet Mesic , Mesic , Dry Mesic </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Bloom Time</TD><TD class=property-value>August , September , October </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Color</TD><TD class=property-value>Yellow </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Helianthus-grosseserratus-Saw-tooth-Sunflower-flowers1.jpg

Showy Sunflower:

<TABLE class=product-properties cellSpacing=0 summary=Details><TBODY><TR><TD class=property-name>Soil</TD><TD class=property-value>Dry Mesic , Dry </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Bloom Time</TD><TD class=property-value>July , August , September </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Color</TD><TD class=property-value>Yellow </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Height</TD><TD class=property-value>5 feet </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Helianthus_laetiflorus_Showy_Sunflower_flower.jpg

Downy Sunflower:

<TABLE class=product-properties cellSpacing=0 summary=Details><TBODY><TR><TD class=property-name>Sun Exposure</TD><TD class=property-value>Prairie , Savanna </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Soil</TD><TD class=property-value>Mesic , Dry Mesic </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Bloom Time</TD><TD class=property-value>August , September </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Color</TD><TD class=property-value>Yellow </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Height</TD><TD class=property-value>5 feet </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Helianthus-mollis-Downy-Sunflower-01.jpg

Pale Leaved Sunflower:

<TABLE class=product-properties cellSpacing=0 summary=Details><TBODY><TR><TD class=property-name>Sun Exposure</TD><TD class=property-value>Prairie , Savanna </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Soil</TD><TD class=property-value>Wet Mesic , Mesic , Dry Mesic </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Bloom Time</TD><TD class=property-value>July , August , September , October </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Color</TD><TD class=property-value>Yellow </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Height</TD><TD class=property-value>3 feet </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Helianthus_strumosus_Pale_Leaved_Sunflower_flower.jpg

Tall Sunflower:

<TABLE class=product-properties cellSpacing=0 summary=Details><TBODY><TR><TD class=property-name>Height:</TD><TD class=property-value>8 feet</TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Sun Exposure</TD><TD class=property-value>Prairie , Savanna </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Soil</TD><TD class=property-value>Wet Mesic , Mesic </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Bloom Time</TD><TD class=property-value>July , August , September </TD></TR><TR><TD class=property-name>Color</TD><TD class=property-value>Yellow </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

giant-sunflower-0803_110945.jpg

Last edited:
I got a little extra dough for christmas, so I decided to buy a few more native wildflowers and went with an ounce of each of these.

Tall Larkspur:

Delphinium-exaltatum-Tall-Larkspur-close-up.jpg

Showy Tick Trefoil:

Desmodium-canadense-Showy-Tick-Trefoil-flower.jpg

Showy Beard Tongue:

Purple%20Beardtongue%20-%20Penstemon%20cobaea%2001.jpg

I bought some 2.50 packets of various perennial sunflowers and blazing stars and planted them in rootmaker bags. Looks like I will end up with about 30-40 plants per species to end up planting on the farm this fall. Did the same thing with western sunflower last year and all of those are still alive...except for the ones under the flood water many times :D

This way is much cheaper for me and most of the perennial plants end up producing seed in the first year which is very hard to get planting them the conventional way.

PerennialSunflowers.jpg

Some southern folks talk about deer hammering pokeweed. I have yet to see one browsed on my property, but they are a striking native plant and birds find the seeds useful so I leave them be. They sure do pop up in a lot of places where I spray and kill the sod.

Pokeweed.jpg

I bought some 2.50 packets of various perennial sunflowers and blazing stars and planted them in rootmaker bags. Looks like I will end up with about 30-40 plants per species to end up planting on the farm this fall. Did the same thing with western sunflower last year and all of those are still alive...except for the ones under the flood water many times :D

This way is much cheaper for me and most of the perennial plants end up producing seed in the first year which is very hard to get planting them the conventional way.

PerennialSunflowers.jpg

Your wearing me out Phil! :D

I thought I was a habitat nut but you got me beat hands down! :grin::way:

Your wearing me out Phil! :D

I thought I was a habitat nut but you got me beat hands down! :grin::way:

I already have next years wildflowers picked out to buy and several roadsides to get others from!! :drink2:

I gotta do that to keep the spending down throughout the year and if I keep this up, I can put back close to 100 native wildflowers on the farm in the next few years and then just maintain them.

Last edited:
One thing I am going to try is planting these out around my desirable shrub plantings the year after to fill in the gaps. These are rhizomatous and perennial so they will spready by the roots and come back year after year. Planting them the year after gives me the advantage of already having the ground prepped and competition killed and these will not out compete the shrubs after they are establised the first year.

Here is another pic of sawtooth sunflower from Bluestem Nursery. I am hoping some perennial sunflowers will stand for a long time through the fall to provide bedding and lots of food for the gold finches. :D

SawtoothSunflower&Dad-50.jpg

Any of you have problems with oxeye daisy? (leucanthemum sp.) Over the past few years a couple areas that have traditionally been full of coreopsis, monarda, rudebeckia, echinacea, and many other prairie natives are now being over run by oxeye daisy. The native population also appears to have declined greatly.

Any ideas on controlling them? I don't really want to spray 2,4-d and take out the natives. Would burning help control them? If so, what time of year would set them back the most? I know burning would set back some the other native wildflowers but I also don't want oxeye daisy everywhere else on my property.

Any of you have problems with oxeye daisy? (leucanthemum sp.) Over the past few years a couple areas that have traditionally been full of coreopsis, monarda, rudebeckia, echinacea, and many other prairie natives are now being over run by oxeye daisy. The native population also appears to have declined greatly.

Any ideas on controlling them? I don't really want to spray 2,4-d and take out the natives. Would burning help control them? If so, what time of year would set them back the most? I know burning would set back some the other native wildflowers but I also don't want oxeye daisy everywhere else on my property.

Usually a burn that promotes nwsg hurts wildflowers so I would think late april/early may depending on the year possibly?? Not sure when they flower, but a burn right before that would be ideal to really hammer them.

The perennial sunflowers sure are loving this heat!! Now if I only would have tagged them so I knew what was what. :D

I planted swamp, sawtooth, giant and showy sunflowers.

100_1480.jpg

100_1479.jpg

I believe this one is swamp sunflower.

100_1478.jpg

Ordered a few packets of wildflower seeds today for the pollinators. Showy (prairie) sunflower, scaly blazing star, canada milk vetch and meadow blazing star (#1 for monarchs).
Canada Milk Vetch:
Astragalus-canadensis-Canadian-Milk-Vetch-flowers-01.jpg

Info:
This plant is known as a common nectar source for bumblebees and honeybees, and for food for herbivores including deer, groundhogs, rabbits and livestock. The seeds may be eaten occasionally by the Wild Turkey. Also called Canadian Milk Vetch, it also attracts hummingbirds, song birds and butterflies, including the Western Tailed Blue butterfly larvae.
Showy Sunflower:
Helianthus_laetiflorus_Showy_Sunflower_with-Big-bluestem.jpg

The flowers attract bumblebees, Miner bees, large Leaf-Cutting bees, Halictine bees, bee flies, butterflies, and skippers. Typical butterfly visitors include Phyciodes tharos (Pearl Crescent), Vanessa cardui (Painted Lady), and Chlosyne spp. (Checkerspots). These insects seek nectar, although the bees also collect pollen. The caterpillars of the butterflies Chlosyne nycteis (Silvery Checkerspot), Chlosyne gorgone (Gorgon Checkerspot), and Vanessa cardui (Painted Lady) feed on the foliage of this and other sunflowers. The caterpillars of several species of moths and miscellaneous other insects feed on various parts of sunflowers (see Insect Table). This includes the larvae of Microrhapala cyanea (Leaf Miner Beetle) and Gnorimoschema sp. (Gall Moth sp.), the latter forming circular galls on the stems. The large and nutritious seeds are eaten by many kinds of upland gamebirds, songbirds, and small rodents (see Wildlife Table). The Eastern Pocket Gopher eats the roots, while deer and livestock browse on the foliage.
Scaly Blazing Star:
Liatris-squarrosa-Scaly-Blazing-Star-flowers3.jpg

Info:
The flowerheads are cross-pollinated primarily by bumblebees, butterflies, and skippers. In general, several insect species feed on Liatris spp. (Blazingstars). These species include: the caterpillars of Schinia sanguinea (Blazingstar Flower Moth), which feed on the florets and developing seeds; the caterpillars of Papaipema beeriana (Blazingstar Borer Moth) and Carmenta anthracipennis (Liatris Borer Moth), which bore through the stems; and the aphids Aphis laciniariae and Aphis craccivora, which suck plant juices. The foliage and flowerheads of Blazingstars are edible to many mammalian herbivores, including cattle, horses, sheep, goats, deer, rabbits, and groundhogs. Where these mammals are abundant, Blazingstar populations usually decline.
Meadow Blazing Star:
Liatris-ligulistylis-Meadow-Blazing-Star-Monarch.jpg

The flowers are pollinated primarily by long-tongued bees, butterflies, and skippers. Other visitors include Halictine bees, bee flies, and day-flying moths. Among the long-tongued bees, are such visitors as honeybees, bumblebees, Little Carpenter bees, Miner bees, and large Leaf-Cutting bees. Butterfly visitors include Monarchs, Swallowtails, Painted Ladies, Sulfurs, Whites, and others. The caterpillars of the rare Schinia gloriosa (Glorious Flower Moth) feed on the flowers and seed capsules. Various mammalian herbivores readily consume Prairie Blazingstar. Younger plants may be eaten by rabbits and groundhogs, while mature plants are likely targets of deer or livestock. Small rodents, such as the Prairie Vole and Meadow Vole, sometimes eat the corms. An overpopulation of these animals can make establishment of this plant difficult in some areas.
All the pics are courtesy of Prairie Moon Nursery and the info came from www.Illinoiswildflower.info. These are very important pieces to the puzzle on my farm since wildflowers are basically non-existent and they will add much needed diversity and appeal to lots of animals, and insects besides the game species I chase.

Found a PILE of Virginia Bluebells growing in the creek bottom while I was putting up a panel fence.

Is there such thing as a white bluebell :confused:

Maybe it just has not matured yet, but every other bluebell in this area was blue at this same time.

WhiteBluebells.jpg

Top Bottom