Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

NE Iowa

Greenbay

Hello all,

Brand new here as you can see. Myself along with 2 buddies will be heading out from Michigan to do some scouting next weekend. We have points to pull tags this year and will be applying for archery tags. We plan on scouting the Yellow River Forest area, Lansing WMA, Clear Creek WMA, French Creek WMA and any others we have time for. Any another suggestions and help that anyone would be willing to offer is welcome and would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks all!!

I am hoping that you have lost most of your snow by now. I see you are getting some warmer weather so hopefully any remaining snow will for the most part be gone by next weekend. I did make a call to the DNR and the guy I talked to seemed to be very helpful and was able to answer some questions for me.

We are losing snow at a pretty good rate now. Most of the fields and timbers are pretty well snow free, but some places where it drifted and some north slopes still have a decent amount of snow.

All four of those areas can be good. Plenty of ground to cover. If it were me I'd walk all of it and then once you get here focus on the ones with the least pressure. There's good deer in all of those areas. Thing is the pressure changes every year.

Greenbay,

i worked up there for the state for 5 years. PM me and i will answer any questions you have on those places. May even tell you a couple out of the way spots if you lucky :). I dont live there anymore so they are usless to me now.

Yeah, there are a few good out of the way places up there that few know about that are killer. However, with turkey hunting opening up this weekend for youth, I would be careful on out looking around because of that. I know its public ground, but last thing we need to read about is a hunting accident.. just a heads up

Reactions: Zim
Don't overlook the Volga Recreation Area in Fayette County. There are 5700 acres of public hunting, and 138 acre lake for really good panfishing!

Yeah, there are a few good out of the way places up there that few know about that are killer. However, with turkey hunting opening up this weekend for youth, I would be careful on out looking around because of that. I know its public ground, but last thing we need to read about is a hunting accident.. just a heads up

Thanks for the heads up on the youth turkey season...did not know that. Again, Thanks. Extra precaution will be taken

Volga might be a decent spot to hunt, but I sure wouldn't call it good panfishing. Unless your into 8" crappies and 6" blue gills.

Yellow River is where it's at!!

I have hunted both areas and Volga isn't where I would go if I just drew a tag. The further northeast you go into Iowa the better. Just some friendly advice so have the best experience. Good luck.

Get yourself an Iowa Sportsman's Atlas. They have them at WalMart. It breaks down the state county by county showing both state and county public areas. A valuable tool to have.

I have hunted both areas and Volga isn't where I would go if I just drew a tag. The further northeast you go into Iowa the better. Just some friendly advice so have the best experience. Good luck.

Must hunt the Volga area? :rolleyes:

I have heard many people say good things about that area.

I have heard tons of good things about Volga, I even know a few guys that consistently put down pretty good deer there...just like everywhere, you gotta work for them

I have heard tons of good things about Volga, I even know a few guys that consistently put down pretty good deer there...just like everywhere, you gotta work for them

You've heard right! Maybe I shouldn't be spilling the beans on that area. I know of several private properties that surround the Volga Recreational Area that have killed some great bucks. I haven't hunted it for several years, but it has produced for me in the past!

Thanks for all the info guys...We will put on as many miles as our legs and daylight will allow. We have the Sportsmans Atlas and as always, are looking forward to stomping new ground.

We have a few hunters heading there this year for the late muzzleloader...just wondering if anyone has any helpful hints

I know a few locals up there that I'd stay along ways away from. They just ain't right

It's not different than anywhere else; find the food, catch the deers

Top Bottom