Buck Hollow Sporting Goods - click or touch to visit their website Midwest Habitat Company

Nebraska bound!

Well after 32 hours in the blind in little over 2 days. I had 32 turkeys in my DSDs. 10 hens and 22 jakes. Only saw one tom that was 2.5 miles away. With the lack of gobbling and actual breeding activity I decided I would head home tonight and not hunt in the storms the next couple of days. At last light I had another jake come in. He gobbled, strutted, and pecked my decoy. I decided to stick him and head home! Although I have only shoot 2 jakes my whole life, I am happy to have meat coming home with me!!!! This last jake has the worlds smallest beard, but will sure taste good! Hopefully I can stick some good old Iowa long beards early and head back out here for one last Tom.

View attachment 2902

View attachment 2903

View attachment 2904

Gotta love the short beards!! They make a tough hunt, a great hunt!

You went out on public ground and killed two birds in a few days. I'd say its a huge success!

Gotta love the short beards!! They make a tough hunt, a great hunt!

You went out on public ground and killed two birds in a few days. I'd say its a huge success!

Thanks gundog! I know where I will be next year! Hopefully those jakes become toms and stay in that area!

Congrats. Those jakes are very tender. Yum. Now which one are you going to enter in the contest?

Congrats. Those jakes are very tender. Yum. Now which one are you going to enter in the contest?

I need one more jake just to equal one Tom. The last one weighed 12 pounds with a 3/4 inch beard and bumps for spurs to grow! I better figure out how to kill a Tom here in IA otherwise my partner will can me!

Congrats on a successful trip! I know nothing about turkeys in Nebraska, but it seems odd that there would be so many jakes and so few toms. Is that a normal occurrence?

Congrats on a successful trip! I know nothing about turkeys in Nebraska, but it seems odd that there would be so many jakes and so few toms. Is that a normal occurrence?

Not sure. I have hunted NE 3 times and never seen so many jakes. Heck I don't think I have seen that many jakes in all my hunting years combined!

Not sure. I have hunted NE 3 times and never seen so many jakes. Heck I don't think I have seen that many jakes in all my hunting years combined!

Good news. Maybe on the rebound. They had a die off 3 years ago during winter not to far into NE. More jakes here this year after a 3 year decline.

A good friend just opened my eyes a little. I was making excuses for shooting the jakes I did. It's truly not always about shooting the biggest everything. I have been VERY blessed with the animals I have taken in the short 11 years I have been bow hunting. I am very thankful God had blessed me with the ability to do it and the wife that never complains about it , but encourages me to pursue my dreams!

Thanks everyone for following along. I will be heading to western Iowa to help some buddies fill there tags and if there is time, I will stick a few myself! I will keep ya post as we go!

A good friend just opened my eyes a little. I was making excuses for shooting the jakes I did. It's truly not always about shooting the biggest everything. I have been VERY blessed with the animals I have taken in the short 11 years I have been bow hunting. I am very thankful God had blessed me with the ability to do it and the wife that never complains about it , but encourages me to pursue my dreams!

Thanks everyone for following along. I will be heading to western Iowa to help some buddies fill there tags and if there is time, I will stick a few myself! I will keep ya post as we go!

Now your talking. Good luck.

Great attitude!!!!! :)

Top Bottom